Your Ultimate 500 Yard Rig

Cooper 52 Timberline 280AI with a VX5HD 3-15x44 shooting 143 hammer hunters.

Sykes, glad u like the new Timberline!... Got one made for my son who is in the Navy. Wow, what a sweet, fun, little gun. A pleasure to shoot ( with a directional break)in the 6.5-284 ! Love that thing.

Interesting topic. I am just about to finish up a sub 8 lb rifle in a short action. It was designed for long range wolf hunting, not big game, but the platform I use is a fairly quick barrel swap to something more suited to big bear and moose. I suspect I would swap the bolt head and run a 7mm short magnum of some sort with 180 class bullets. Currently my light build is configured in a 6.5 creed running 147's. Good wolf poison for sure, decent on elk to 500 and under. I would not feel comfortable with 1500 lbs of energy on a moose at 500 though. I have only guided a hunt for moose, never shot 1.

Brent,
You've got a rifle just for wolf hunting?? Now that's impressive! I've spent @$15k on wolf hunts and might as well been carrying a bag full of rocks! lol . I have yet to get a shot at one which is under 2 miles away and not running as hard as it can go. Would love to have a wolf, undisturbed, at under 600 yds. How successful have you been ?

So so. 12 so far. I am getting a little better at it. Killed a couple with my bow too.

I primarily hunt deer and elk etc with a bow so I don't have a need for a cannon at this point. I've been building my own savage action based rifles for a while so I know I can swap barrels quick which puts me in a better position for a multiple caliber platform. I have a mdt chassis rifle that weighs 12 lbs with a nf nxs, long action, proof 28", 6.5-284. I have a 7mag barrel for it if I need more horsepower I suppose

I'm working on a load for Tika .338 Federal
Would like to get 2500fps with a 230 gr ELD X
Planning to use for do all gun out to 500 yards
Any suggestions would be welcome

Last edited:
So so. 12 so far. I am getting a little better at it. Killed a couple with my bow too.

I primarily hunt deer and elk etc with a bow so I don't have a need for a cannon at this point. I've been building my own savage action based rifles for a while so I know I can swap barrels quick which puts me in a better position for a multiple caliber platform. I have a mdt chassis rifle that weighs 12 lbs with a nf nxs, long action, proof 28", 6.5-284. I have a 7mag barrel for it if I need more horsepower I suppose

12 wolves.....you could become my "Hero"! :D memtb

Hard to pick just one but my current pick would be a 28 Nosler built on a trued Remington 700.
26" Muller barrel
McMillan hunter
180 Bergers
2.5# Timney
3.5-18 Swarovski Z5

Do you think the Nosler are going to survive? I feel like they will go the way of the RUMs and WSMs. What do you think?

Do you think the Nosler are going to survive? I feel like they will go the way of the RUMs and WSMs. What do you think?

I don't think so...I have 2 Nephews that love to hunt,( in their mid to late 20s) and their flat bill hat wearing friends all like the Nosler line especially the 28 and 30 Nosler..they like to shoot long range and love the way the guns they have shoot ( between them all 3 28s and 1 30N).The custom builders have embraced the 28 and to some extent the 30... I will say too the 33 is everything the 338 winmag should have been with out being too obnoxious like the 338 RUM and 340 Weatherby. The one I built was accurate and preformed very well for the powder spent.the biggest problem I see with the Nosler line is the price of brass..you either need a extra job, or better yet your extra job might be at Cabelas or bass pro to get a employee discount...expensive!

I don't think so...I have 2 Nephews that love to hunt,( in their mid to late 20s) and their flat bill hat wearing friends all like the Nosler line especially the 28 and 30 Nosler..they like to shoot long range and love the way the guns they have shoot ( between them all 3 28s and 1 30N).The custom builders have embraced the 28 and to some extent the 30... I will say too the 33 is everything the 338 winmag should have been with out being too obnoxious like the 338 RUM and 340 Weatherby. The one I built was accurate and preformed very well for the powder spent.the biggest problem I see with the Nosler line is the price of brass..you either need a extra job, or better yet your extra job might be at Cabelas or bass pro to get a employee discount...expensive!
FLAT BILL HAT WEARING FRIENDS!!!! LMFAO!!!!!

E2249488-1AD1-4144-B009-BED6A9235B4D.jpeg

Bhahhhhh!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.