Wyoming moose unit 26

I did hunt the unit in '22 and am goin back this year with a friend who drew. I scouted it twice before my hunt. During my scouting and during the hunt, I saw moose all over the unit, even in the desert N/E of Kemmerer. I killed my bull on Oct 8th, just off the Hams Fk. after all the deer hunters left. We're goin this year on, or about Oct. 7th.

Congratulations…….you've drawn what once was the finest moose area in Wyoming.

It's not what it was 30+ years ago…..but, probably still the best!

I once knew the area pretty good and my wife, born and raised there, knew the Ham's Fork, Raymond Mt, Smith's Fork areas really well. But, it's changed an awful lot since we lived over there! memtb

Good Luck! memtb

I do believe I had more fun this time around. My buddy got a 41" bull on the Oct. 10th. I got there on the 7th and saw the bull, at least I'm pretty sure it was the same one. My buddy arrived on the 8th. Didn't see anything worth shooting the first 2 days. On the 10th, we saw 4 or 5 bulls, 7 cows, 2 calves. One other bull was decent, but this one was the best. Ended up being a pretty quick hunt. Wish I could go back for more moose hunting fun sometime.
P.S. Sorry for the deleted face thing. I didn't ask him if I could post his face on the forum.

Attachments

• IMG_0223.jpeg
    IMG_0223.jpeg
    931.1 KB · Views: 27
Nothing better than a successful hunt with a friend. Congratulations to you both.

As for the deleted face, I totally understand; the world isn't what it used to be. I'd do the same.

We like details...gun, scope, cartridge, bullet, shot distance, DRT vs wandered off 100 yds...stuff like that. Thx.

Sure. The shot was 250yds. He double lunged the bull and dropped it with one shot. .300 Win. Mag. shooting a 200 gr. Accubond. Rifle is a Remington 700 XCR that he re-barreled with a proof barrel. I know the scope is a Leupold Vx-5. Not sure of the power. We did recover the bullet, but he hasn't weighed it yet. I'm curious to see how it held up.
Two years ago, I shot my "Ham's Fork" bull using a 200 gr Swift A-Frame at 100 yds. It weighed 196.2 grains after the shot. I also shoot a Rem. 700 in .300 Win Mag.

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpeg
    IMG_0253.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 9
Great report! Thanks for the info. Curious how the Accubond did (weight retention-wise), so look fwd to learning that once you know.

I appreciated the picture of the Swift A-Frame you recovered from your bull. They always seem to have that mid-bullet bulge, but always seem to get the job done. Good bullets.

I do like the A-Frame! Maybe I can try it out on an elk in an about 10 days or so. I always liked the old TBBC too. Still have a bunch of 225 grain Federal Premium factory loads in 35 Whelen. Kinda wish I had shot my moose with it. I'll update on the Accubond as soon as I hear.