Win 70 & Barnes 130 TSX & 150 TTSX

Hespco

Trying to develop a hunting load for my Win 70 EW 30-06. Have tried the Barnes 130gr TSX ( I prefer ) with Win 748 powder & various seating depths. Can't get a reliable hunting group. Two in close, then one way out. Same with the Barnes 150gr TTSX using Win 760/H-414 powder. I have to hunt my deer & elk in the same season. The copper mono's have proved to be very effective for even the largest elk even in my 6.5's. This 30-06 is quite accurate with my old favorite, the Sierra 165gr HPBT. A bit much for deer, but very elk capable. Was wondering if any of you had a secret receipt for the mono's?

I've worked up loads for the Barnes including the 30 cal 168 TTSX and always have found accuracy at least .040" - .050" off the rifling, sometimes a little more. I have some of the 130 grain but haven't tried them yet. In my '06 with those 168s, H4350 was the most consistent getting me 2860 fps.

I would try either Varget for the 130g TTSX instead of the TSX, or H4350 with the 150g TTSX. these have worked very well when developing these loads in my mates 2 30-06's. Varget was a huge eye opener to me in 30-06, does extremely well with both the 130g TSX/TTSX and Nosler 125g Ballistic Tip, one ragged hole multiple times at 100. The TSX proved touchy in these rifles too.

Cheers.

I have always shot two shots, then a complete cool down for the third. I do have Varget & the various 4350's. Several different depths tried with both bullets . Will try some IMR & H 4350 tomorrow. Have my own range here so can take all the time I need. Thanks for all the suggestions. This is a factory Win 70 EW, with the factory fluted Bbl.

I know it sounds crazy. Two shots out of a cold barrel , close together. Let the barrel cool completely, & the third shot, way out. Almost every time. Barrel is allow to cool down for a good half hour after the first two shots. I have some 130 TTSX I will try tomorrow. Also some different powders. Let you all know how it turns out. This rifle is almost new . Has been shot very little. Maybe 40 rounds at this point.

I would recommend h4350,ram shot big game or n550 as I had this problem with a factory Remington 700 and h4350 and n550 work great in as well as big game. Or you could try hammer bullets as maybe your rifle doesn't like Barnes bullets I've had that happen with a 308 before. Hope this helps God bless

I know it sounds crazy. Two shots out of a cold barrel , close together. Let the barrel cool completely, & the third shot, way out. Almost every time. Barrel is allow to cool down for a good half hour after the first two shots. I have some 130 TTSX I will try tomorrow. Also some different powders. Let you all know how it turns out. This rifle is almost new . Has been shot very little. Maybe 40 rounds at this point.
How is the recoil lug bedding? Win has used some suspect bedding material in the past.

Trying to develop a hunting load for my Win 70 EW 30-06. Have tried the Barnes 130gr TSX ( I prefer ) with Win 748 powder & various seating depths. Can't get a reliable hunting group. Two in close, then one way out. Same with the Barnes 150gr TTSX using Win 760/H-414 powder. I have to hunt my deer & elk in the same season. The copper mono's have proved to be very effective for even the largest elk even in my 6.5's. This 30-06 is quite accurate with my old favorite, the Sierra 165gr HPBT. A bit much for deer, but very elk capable. Was wondering if any of you had a secret receipt for the mono's?
I have a new M70 Featherweight that I have been working on load development for. I broke it in with 150gr Norma 60 rounds over (3) 5 hour range sessions. I started with 165 TTSX at .050 off the lands. Using IMR 4064 it shoots 3 at .50" I then used IMR 4350 and have been at .375" and .25". I just started with the 150 TTSX and have similar results but only difference is the best are.50". Also at.50 off the lands.. loaded using Barnes standard data and both have been through ladder tests to work out the best node. I only shoot 3 max and cool, while velocity is higher with the 150 gr. In shooting out to 400 yds I have not seen anything that makes me think that 150 has any benefit. The current best loading is only 200 FOS apart.

How is the recoil lug bedding? Win has used some suspect bedding material in the past. on which a particular Model 70
Also, I have seen this effect with a couple of Model 70's over the years, caused by the bedding, particularly the small lug/pad that contacts the barrel in the forearm. It is caused by a small amount of movement of the barrel/action after a shot or more. After a period of time the action/lug contact area re-settles to the original position. It can occur with both synthetic/plastic stocks, as well as wood stocks that employ a "soft" bedding material…Both materials having elastic qualities. I have corrected this by either re-placing the stock, re-bedding the rifle, and/or simply eliminating or modifying the lugs-pressure point on the barrel located in the forearm.

@Greyfox
I have a few Model 70 EW rifles, all are assembled overseas in Portugal. The bedding job they employ is a lot better than the hot glue used in the 90's, the barrels are all free floated also, however I bed all of my own rifles before I even shoot them with Devcon 10110. The B&C stocks are quite good and not flimsy, I like them…

Cheers.