Bullet wt. variance

Lefty57

Not looking for a lot of replies from this post.....looking for comments from those who really know. I am a recreational shooter and some time hunter i have a 7PRC custom that i have shooting 175EH great for me.(.5-.6moa) Not so much with the 175ELD-X's. My question is how much wt. difference in the bullet will effect grouping. Looking for reasons for inconsistent grouping i took a new box of 175elx's and individually weighed them. The range was 174.5 to 175.4gr. Is this enough difference in weight to get inconsistent groups???

Not looking for a lot of replies from this post.....looking for comments from those who really know. I am a recreational shooter and some time hunter i have a 7PRC custom that i have shooting 175EH great for me.(.5-.6moa) Not so much with the 175ELD-X's. My question is how much wt. difference in the bullet will effect grouping. Looking for reasons for inconsistent grouping i took a new box of 175elx's and individually weighed them. The range was 174.5 to 175.4gr. Is this enough difference in weight to get inconsistent groups???
No!

1 grain on a 175 prob won't make much difference. Have you measured bearing surface length or dia?

I have measured boxes of other brands that have a 2-2.5gr variance in weight on a 140gr bullet, which gives some bc variation that might show up at longer distances. Even with that short range is likely not affected that much, I mean I wouldn't expect to win a br match with them.

Hornady vs Berger 👆
See Dat?

I remember a friend of mine was shooting a dasher for 1000 yd benchrest and there is a sighted period when you can fowl the barrel and warm it up. During that period he shot 102's to 105 grain bullets for experimentation and they all grouped together. From that day on he quit weighing bullets for a match.

I remember a friend of mine was shooting a dasher for 1000 yd benchrest and there is a sighted period when you can fowl the barrel and warm it up. During that period he shot 102's to 105 grain bullets for experimentation and they all grouped together. From that day on he quit weighing bullets for a match.
Interesting!

Been shooting F-class for several years and other comps as well. Weighing bullets is futile, it makes no difference to BC form factor.
What we do is base to ogive measurement sorting, pointing and meplat trimming. On brass we turn necks, uniform primer pockets and cut chamfers in flash holes. Anneal after every firing and use mandrels to finish necks.
These are the fundamentals, some do way more than this…

Cheers.

Been shooting F-class for several years and other comps as well. Weighing bullets is futile, it makes no difference to BC form factor.
What we do is base to ogive measurement sorting, pointing and meplat trimming. On brass we turn necks, uniform primer pockets and cut chamfers in flash holes. Anneal after every firing and use mandrels to finish necks.
These are the fundamentals, some do way more than this…

Cheers.
Questions. Turning the necks for even thickness outside Then setting up with a bushing die to set neck tension. I don't see the mandrel being needed. Because the neck is finish at a given thickness all the way around. Neck tention is set by a bushing. I can see a mandrel being used, if undersizing the neck and pushing the neck out to set tension. If the case are used, and setting up to use them. I would FL size them, then us a mandrel to set ID in the neck area. Set and cut the necks for thickness.
I also understand if the neck isn't cut to get an even thickness then a mandrel would be needed. Or that the way I feel. All the other steps you talk about I totally agree with. I just don't see the mandrel if the neck is cut to an even thickness and neck tension is set by bushing. (new case never been fired) I realize that there other steps involved. This is strictly dealing with necks.