300 blackout deer hunting

Only deer I've taken with a 300 BLK is this one. 8" SBR and 125gr SST's. Factory fodder. Distance was very close. He was chasing a doe right to me. I was standing roughly 10 yards from him. Bag flop. Kicked a couple times.
IMG_4830.jpeg

I've taken over 120 deer, 4 turkeys, 2 coyotes, and hundreds of groundhogs with my .300 Whisper. My good friend, JD Jones, "appointed" me to find out what bullets really work. He hooked me up with Lehigh Defense to test their bullets.
JD developed the Whisper using Sierra 240 gr. HPBT Match. They did fair, but a lot of deer went a ways. 220, 200, 190 Match bullets were pathetic. Extremely poor performance. Deer ran a LONG way.
Bottom line, for excellent subsonic performance in the Whisper (Blackout) was obtained with Sierra 220 gr. RN Game Kings. They showed 98% DRT performance out to 240 yards. Killed a very big WV 8 pt. in driving wind/rain at 240 with the 220 RN. He never moved.
The only other bullet that was that good is the Lehigh 186 gr. Controlled Fracturing bullet. I tested a lot of Lehigh bullets from the first ones they made and successive generations on deer. All gave very poor performance until the 186 came along. Like the 220 RN, it's 98% DRT performance.
I've never tried to use any of the new subsonic bullets/loads since these 2 bullets proved performance above them is about impossible.

Great info WV Hitman, I love 30cal Game Kings. Do the 220 RN deform at sub velocity? Barrel length?

I have to say that a 200 grain grappling hook from a 8.5" barrel seems to be more appealing to me... but I admit my ignorance in this matter. For now.

This guy is smart. Love the underwood with the 194g
That's what everyone kept telling me to shoot so I bought some as soon as I found them. Accuracy is horrible in my rifle. Like 6" groups at 50 yards. The Hornady sub x factory loads shoot about 5/8" group at the same distance. So now I'm not sure what to do

RWE, the 220 Game Kings tumble (like the original 240 HPBTs that JD said was necessary to kill), but they also expand some creating increased damage over most other subs. My Whisper barrel is 16". Only powder I've ever used for 40+ years is WW296. Double butt wing shot on turkeys result in DRT!!

I've taken over 120 deer, 4 turkeys, 2 coyotes, and hundreds of groundhogs with my .300 Whisper. My good friend, JD Jones, "appointed" me to find out what bullets really work. He hooked me up with Lehigh Defense to test their bullets.
JD developed the Whisper using Sierra 240 gr. HPBT Match. They did fair, but a lot of deer went a ways. 220, 200, 190 Match bullets were pathetic. Extremely poor performance. Deer ran a LONG way.
Bottom line, for excellent subsonic performance in the Whisper (Blackout) was obtained with Sierra 220 gr. RN Game Kings. They showed 98% DRT performance out to 240 yards. Killed a very big WV 8 pt. in driving wind/rain at 240 with the 220 RN. He never moved.
The only other bullet that was that good is the Lehigh 186 gr. Controlled Fracturing bullet. I tested a lot of Lehigh bullets from the first ones they made and successive generations on deer. All gave very poor performance until the 186 came along. Like the 220 RN, it's 98% DRT performance.
I've never tried to use any of the new subsonic bullets/loads since these 2 bullets proved performance above them is about impossible.
I really really liked the Lehigh 176 grain controlled fracturing (it had the 17 hmr projectile stuffed in the hollow point). I killed a bunch of deer with it, using neck shots. All were "bang...flop" but they quit making them after WC bought out Lehigh

Where are you placing your shot with the RN projectile?

What twist do you run for the 220 RN Sierra's? 1:7? Barrel length? We have a 1:8 16". Powder and load? We are just getting into this sub game. I have a boy 13 and 15 that eat live and breathe projectiles be it lead or carbon arrows. Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited: