300 blackout deer hunting

Subsonic depends not only on velocity, but also on air temp and density. Generally speaking, the speed of sound is approx. 1,100 fps at sea level. However, years ago I discovered that while my loads were sunsonic in the deserts near Phoenix, AZ (est 1,200 ft. altitude), they were either transonic or supersonic when I got up into the higher mountain elevations around 7,000 ft. So altitude (or more precisely - air density) also needs to be taken into consideration when determining whether or not a round is truley subsonic. Because I am never sure what elevation I will be shooting at, I try to keep my rounds at or just under 1,025 fps.

Is that subsonic?
Yes and No…. Don't mean to confuse but depending on temp/humidity. If you're hunting summer or southern climates you can get away with 1125ish. Up north in the winter probably would to be safer to stay closer 1075ish. Take a look at the info below.

Attachments

• IMG_3888.jpeg
    IMG_3888.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3889.jpeg
    IMG_3889.jpeg
    732.8 KB · Views: 35

Attachments

• IMG_3900.jpeg
    IMG_3900.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3901.jpeg
    IMG_3901.jpeg
    377.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3902.jpeg
    IMG_3902.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 29
I've killed several deer with the subx. From 20 to around 150 yards. All were one and done except 1. Which was 100% my fault, windage knob got bumped and I hit her too far back, however she still only went 100 or so yards before bedding, second shot was a head shot, and I was 100% confident in the accuracy to make the shot.

Has anyone pulled a Hornady 190subx to determine what the charge is?
I bought 5 boxes of the loaded Hornady Sub-X to run in my bolt gun. First round I touched off was 100% super sonic. Can't remember the exact speed but it was around 1150fps or so. Emailed Hornady and got the standard "all rounds are different in each gun blah blah." So I pulled 5 rounds and powder weight range was 11.54 - 11.62 grns. So I downloaded a few at 10.5 grns, averaged 968fps. Bumped it up to 11.0 grns and average was 1008fps. So I pulled the rest of the rounds and loaded all back up at 11.0.

I've killed several deer with the subx. From 20 to around 150 yards. All were one and done except 1. Which was 100% my fault, windage knob got bumped and I hit her too far back, however she still only went 100 or so yards before bedding, second shot was a head shot, and I was 100% confident in the accuracy to make the shot.
This is the result I'd expected to hear from someone that has actually used the SubX on game. Thanks... I just worry about bullets that open up to a huge "flower" in ballistic gel. Deer hides can be pretty tough and they have bones all over the place.

I have been using 300Whisper rounds for over 20 years and although I haven't killed a lot of game with them I HAVE noticed that the very heavy bullets moving along at 1000fps give or take a little tend to thump game pretty hard and they don't always die right where you hit them but they usually don't go far. They were somewhat similar to shooting hardcast ammo out of a handgun

Certainly the SubX will constantly be improved but the type of terminal performance that I've seen reported by people that shoot game with them is what I'm looking for. I was stuck with bullets in the "old days" that weren't optimal for subsonic velocities as far as terminal performance goes.

Obviously you lose the massive hydraulic shock you get with supersonic bullets traveling over 2400fps so bullet placement is more important with subsonic rounds and getting a complete passthrough is going to be difficult with rounds that have giant mushrooms with petals way out there like a starfish e.g. Maker bullets.

Did you experience complete passthroughs T3ninja?