300 blackout deer hunting

I set up a bolt action 300BO last year to run subs suppressed. I lined it up with the 190 SubX factory loads because that's what friends recommended. I had no problems with groups or firing when practicing. Fast forward to season and a big doe walks out at 23 yards, I put the crosshairs on her and squeezed the trigger. When the rifle fired it barely made any sound at all. About half of what it normally did. I heard no impact in the deer and it ran off like it was untouched. I covered miles looking because I thought maybe it was a poor shot. Never found a drop of blood or the deer. I now believe the round did not fire at full power and barely came out of the barrel and shot under the deer. For this season I have picked up some underwood ammo loaded with 194 Lehigh bullets. I'll be trying those this season.

Here's my take... I've looked at the pics of the expanded Maker bullets and although they're impressive to look at I have never seen that kind of radical and large expansion before and in a subsonic situation I have doubts on their ability to fully penetrate if they open up that wide.

Also if they open up that easily and wide, what would they do if they hit a big bone such as a shoulder bone. Even a rib might cause a bullet like that to not penetrate very well.

I've never seen a bullet kill as surely and quickly as Nosler Partitions and it seems that the Sub X bullets are a lot more like a Partition.

Just an old hunter's musings....

Eric, check out the Johnnys Reloading Bench series (a lot of videos) on 300blk. As Bob pointed out, lots of info on that website he suggested.

I tried a few and am using H110 for supers and N120 for subs. Looking forward to trying the SubX.

I loved Partitions…

We have tried 4227, CFEBLK and 1680. Nephew is using CFEBLK.

There are several good powder combos out there. I wanted to try SW Blackout and SW SOCOM but it will take a bit to get through 8# n120!

Probably get some heat for this just saying what works for my family. I like the old Hornady Amax 208 grain bullets @ 1125fps (reloads). If you run across any Hornady custom 300 whisper in 208 gr. They have always done very well out of both of my son's Remington 700-ACC.

The subX reports seem a little hit or miss, but I'd be fine trying them out.

I'm planning on using 200 gr Makers. They have an excellent reputation for subsonic hunting

If you wanna stay subsonic I would give Makers subsonic bullets a try before the subx. Accuracy with the subx has always been great but the expansion doesn't even start to compare to the Makers line. If staying subsonic isn't a requirement then I'd go with the barnes 110g supersonic.
Hey cookie114. Just wanted to double check with you if you still have that 8.6 barrel for sale. I saw you last posted in April but it expired so I couldn't respond to it. Please let me know.

Last edited:
Probably get some heat for this just saying what works for my family. I like the old Hornady Amax 208 grain bullets @ 1125fps (reloads). If you run across any Hornady custom 300 whisper in 208 gr. They have always done very well out of both of my son's Remington 700-ACC.
Is that subsonic?