Why Hammer Bullets Are Always Faster

Compared 69gr Sierra bullet to a 71gr Hammer Hunter with same load data. Done this with different calibers. Same results. Hammers are always faster. This time I recorded it.

I felt that the very first time I looked at your bullets. I could see less bearing area which should make them easier to push down the tube. With bearing surfs that on your bullet would be less than a litter bullet in the same caliber which increase the velocity. I had use some Barnes all copper bullets a long time back. Found that they were very hard to push down the tube and velocity drop and accuracy or group open up. Twist rate would be slow now too compared to twist rates being used today on copper bullets. I fail to see why people can't see that.

Nosler 308 Winchester load data shows 44.0gr of W748 for their 180gr Etip at 2.750" OAL. My Quickload is telling me that published load data by Nosler results in 78,517 psi. Granted, QL is just a guide and not gospel.....

Who would run that published data round through their worn Remington 740 and never feel the need to look for signs of pressure on a 105* day? I mean....after all....it's published data so it should be safe....

I do not use QuickLoad, but most users say that the outcome is HIGHLY dependent on the input. I've seen some really outlandish results posted, based on QuickLoad outputs.

You have taken your analogy to the extreme by using a weak(er) action, that is worn, and testing loads in 105 deg. Why not use an old Trapdoor and loads developed for a Ruger #1?

BTW - I didn't say, or suggest, that handloaders shouldn't "look for signs of pressure". I look for signs of pressure while working within the bounds of reliable published data from major manufacturers. I'm fine with guys who push the outer limits of pressure and velocity. My statement merely reflects my reluctance to do so myself. We all can learn from those who choose to dabble in the next frontier.

Last edited:
I couldn't find the price either, but noticed that it said,"for safety's sake do not exceed maximum loads published in a reloading manual". Or you could just not exceed the loads in the manual, and save the price of "a good scope" and I'm guessing they're not talking VX Freedom. I'm way more into analysis and statistics than most, as that was part of multiple jobs I had, but this just seems like a rabbit hole. If your fancy machine tells you the pressure is OK, but your primer pockets are loose, you just going to call it good?

Common sense and 100 years of reloading experience on pressure signs mean something, and we don't see reports on a regular basis of actions in factory built guns blowing up. Heck, Mosin Nagants shoot artillery rounds, and they don't blow up.

Not saying these machines are no good, but going to have to see data compared to pressure testing machines none of us could afford.

Last edited:
I couldn't find the price either, but noticed that it said,"for safety's sake do not exceed loads published in a reloading manual". Or you could just not exceed the loads in the manual, and save the price of "a good scope" and I'm guessing they're not talking VX Freedom.
That's funny. I know why they'd say that, they have to for legal reasons obviously. But it's sort of like the owners manual in my old 99 Honda CRV, had a whole section with helpful off-road driving tactics and techniques only to say "this vehicle is not intended for off road driving" at the end of it 🤣

I get that, but thought there was irony in "buy our stuff to know the pressure but don't exceed the max in the manual". So they obviously don't trust their gear enough to stand behind it, or at least their lawyers don't.
The lawyers. It's the lawyers. And it has to be this way in sue-happy America. I trust you understand that! Same reason coffee cups have to warn you that the coffee is hot, frozen pizza reminds you to remove the pizza from the cardboard box before cooking, and some soaps have "not for internal use" on the labels….

The juxtaposition between and paradox of a nation and society that champions personal freedom and responsibility while requiring all commercial entities must assume the individual is totally clueless and not responsible for anything

Last edited:
Lots of good info on the pressure trace site if you do some digging. Might be time to start a go fund me for some independent testing. Lou Murdica comes to mind🤣

Product Code
Product Name (In Stock Unless Otherwise Indicated)
Item Price
Availability Notes
PressureTrace II & Shooting Lab Software Bundle​
$798.95​
Wireless PressureTrace II System​
$749.00​
3 Sealed Strain Gage Assemblies Without Glue​
$109.00​
6 Sealed Strain Gage Assemblies With Glue​
$196.00​
Replacement Strain Gage Glue​
$5.95​
PressureTrace II Printed Manual​
$14.95​
3 - Strain Gage Jumper Wires​
$14.95​
PressureTrace II Locking Strain Gage Cable​
$25.95​

The lawyers. It's the lawyers. And it has to be this way in sue-happy America. I trust you understand that! Same reason coffee cups have to warn you that the coffee is hot, frozen pizza reminds you to remove the pizza from the cardboard box before cooking, and some soaps have "not for internal use" on the labels….

The juxtaposition between and paradox of a nation and society that champions personal freedom and responsibility while requiring all commercial entities must assume the individual is totally clueless and not responsible for anything
Funny but true.
Zero personal responsibilty any more.

"What do you mean I cant put the motorhome on cruise control and go back and pee?"