Why Hammer Bullets Are Always Faster

For what it's worth, my opinions on this whole 22 page diatrib are these- lacking actual pressure testing equipment, which no reloader in the history of centerfire rifles has ever possessed, the established methods of working a load up from well below max and watching for pressure signs has served many millions of reloaders over the past 75 or so years.
Yes, there are differences in firearms so some will see pressure before others. Some will also handle those pressures better than others. Some will fire a given bullet faster at a given pressure than others, some will be slower.
In the end, I believe that the SAAMI specs have enough "cushion" built in that any reasonably modern firearm in reasonably good repair should, again in my opinion, be safe if the established practices are followed.
I get what Lou is saying, and I agree that many of us "may" be running pressures that are over SAAMI specs, but in the end it is the experience that each one of us possess that keeps us safe.

Ok, what's the over under on total pages? 47!
Gday muddy
Hope your feeling better but I'd say you'll still have some reading till your fit & fighting so I'm @30pages why 30 I've got no clue just love my 30 cal but my 375 cal is a favourite but I think that 375 pages was a stretch for the guys even here 🤣

Carry on
Cheers

I don't know what's so hard to understand, most if not all of us will never have the equipment to pressure test any load we reload so what do we do?
We do what we've been doing for a very long time, we let our brass tell us if we're loading too hot even if we're not up to the max load by the "book". I've had slow barrels in factory rifles before I started using 26" tubes and I've had a few of them slower than they should have been, but whether they were fast or slow the brass always gave me a clue if I was getting too hot. When I switched to the AH in my 300wm I was amazed at how fast it got before the first slight pressure sign showed up. I reduced my load by a gr and I've been happy with that load so far and to date I haven't thrown any brass away from over pressure.

Lots of bloviating on this thread, which I actually like, but it boils down to the fact that most of us let our brass tell us what's going on, if that's not you great, then I'll be glad to listen what's better.

Last edited:
A change in resistance to getting pushed down the barrel will surely effect a bullet's velocity also, correct? Alloy composition will effect hardness, a 0.0001" difference in diameter will effect resistance going down a bore, bullet shape such as a bore rider design effects bore resistance, etc, etc, etc....

To me, it seems like an over simplification to say pressure is the only thing that can effect velocities. 60,000 psi of pressure will surely produce different velocity if 2 bullets that weigh the same have different hardness, diameters, and bullet shapes?

I believe you and a few others that posted on this subject are Correct, that's the beauty of some of new sleek ,slick ,softer solid copper alloy Designs and some folks just can't see it , faster speeds , better trajectory, less pressure ,saves the primer pockets & usually better accuracy ! They are stuck in the past ,past practices ,past Thoughts and will argue their invalid points to the END. I've heard of some gains of up to 200 ,300 fps faster on a lathe turned Deisgn..The Price point , is not too bad if used sparingly . Other conventional cup & lead core bullets , barnes too , just keep going up in price . Making these special copper alloy customs seem more affordable.. Years ago the prices were so far apart most wouldn't buy the new kids on the Block !

You folks keep either intentionally or unitentionally swapping how your guns compare to barrel used in saami testing vs actually properly testing a bullet in a test barrel

The differences between bullets will show up and be quantiable with pressure testing. For ex testing may show you get 100 fps more. You can expect around that in your
Gun. There of course could be some minor variations as with any measurements but if you get 300 fps more (in my example, not referencing what anybody else posted). you are at higher pressure. We are dealing with a change in bearing surface here not some new alien bullet metal or exotic powder. The original barnes bullets had much higher engraving pressure than standard cup & core but did not get 3-400 fps less or really much less at all but may have needed a different powder to get back close

Some folks get this some folks dont. Some folks said they dont care

Lou
Just thinking about this a bit... I suppose you're understanding that the 300 - 400 fps gains some are finding/claiming is not with the same powder or powder charge as a maximized conventional? I think +/-100 fps for many case designs is a safe average expectation. It takes a bit of faith to make the jump, but the design allows for some faster burning powder that many of us are a bit timid to try. For those who live life on the edge, some have found incredible results with much faster powders that I'm a little nervous to try. And they are seeing good and "safe" results with their loading practices. Especially with the AH design. I respect their knowledge and experience as "lifetime" reloaders that know their signs. 🤠 But it would be fun to just do a pressure-test comparison on maximized loads (by guys experienced with finding potential) to see what the pressure-to-pressure comparison advantages might actually be. A fun fact even if a bit subjective...

Last edited:
Could care less about velocity. It is about accuracy and keeping the extreme spread below 20fps (long range especially) and terminal performance on whatever you are shooting at. Treat my sporting ammo just like my 1k BR stuff when loading it using seating dies made with sizing dies when the tube is chambered.

Pushing the limits of pressure and velocity isn't the safest methodology unless you have pressure testing equipment, which none of us do. I'm satisfied getting the velocities that are listed in established reloading manuals. I'm not particularly comfortable working on the ragged edge of pressure limits as I fly by the seat of my pants.
For what it's worth, my opinions on this whole 22 page diatrib are these- lacking actual pressure testing equipment, which no reloader in the history of centerfire rifles has ever possessed, the established methods of working a load up from well below max and watching for pressure signs has served many millions of reloaders over the past 75 or so years.
Yes, there are differences in firearms so some will see pressure before others. Some will also handle those pressures better than others. Some will fire a given bullet faster at a given pressure than others, some will be slower.
In the end, I believe that the SAAMI specs have enough "cushion" built in that any reasonably modern firearm in reasonably good repair should, again in my opinion, be safe if the established practices are followed.
I get what Lou is saying, and I agree that many of us "may" be running pressures that are over SAAMI specs, but in the end it is the experience that each one of us possess that keeps us safe.

Your post is well stated.

lacking actual pressure testing equipment, which no reloader in the history of centerfire rifles has ever possessed
unless you have pressure testing equipment, which none of us do

Maybe y'all don't have it, doesn't mean no one does:

Maybe y'all don't have it, doesn't mean no one does:

Be interesting to hear from guys with these... I'd be interested in acquiring if I knew for sure it worked on a standard bolt action without modifications to the rifle. Didn't research it much...

Could care less about velocity. It is about accuracy and keeping the extreme spread below 20fps (long range especially) and terminal performance on whatever you are shooting at. Treat my sporting ammo just like my 1k BR stuff when loading it using seating dies made with sizing dies when the tube is chambered.
I 100% agree. I love the fact that Hammers produce equal or better velocities at lower pressure that gives me better case life. Im running them at the same velocities as I was both Berger and Sierra and case life has been more than double so far. Like you I don't chase speed only accuracy.

Pushing the limits of pressure and velocity isn't the safest methodology unless you have pressure testing equipment, which none of us do. I'm satisfied getting the velocities that are listed in established reloading manuals. I'm not particularly comfortable working on the ragged edge of pressure limits as I fly by the seat of my pants.

Your post is well stated.
Nosler 308 Winchester load data shows 44.0gr of W748 for their 180gr Etip at 2.750" OAL. My Quickload is telling me that published load data by Nosler results in 78,517 psi. Granted, QL is just a guide and not gospel.....

Who would run that published data round through their worn Remington 740 and never feel the need to look for signs of pressure on a 105* day? I mean....after all....it's published data so it should be safe....

Recent Posts