Who is still shooting 300 Win Mag

300WM has been my primary hunting round for African plains game and elk over the last 30 years. Used to be you needed a custom rifle if you were particular about details, but there are plenty of off-the-shelf quality rifles out there today. My current favorite is a Seekins Havak Element. I carry the rifle, so weight is important to me; this rifle weighs 6 lbs without attachments. I've been using Barnes Vor-TX 180 gr TTSX, very reliable on elk out to 500, which is my limit on game. Last year's elk was taken with Federal 200 gr Terminal Ascent, an excellent bullet:

IMG_5316.jpeg

I'm curious to see who is all still shooting your 300 Win Mag. I have a 300 Win Mag 26" bull carbon fiber barrel. I will hopefully be shooting this weekend with factory ammo till I get some Peterson long brass. What your go to bullets over 200gr preferred?
Two local guys who have shot elk love the Berger 210

I'm curious to see who is all still shooting your 300 Win Mag. I have a 300 Win Mag 26" bull carbon fiber barrel. I will hopefully be shooting this weekend with factory ammo till I get some Peterson long brass. What your go to bullets over 200gr preferred?
Two local guys who have shot elk love the Berger 210
I shoot a Benelli R 1 in .300 Win Mag. I have a mixture of factory, Lapura and Norma brass. I brought down a 265 lb. Cow elk with 180 grain Barnes TTSX bullets.

I have 3. Bought one in early 80s and was gifted one during covid. Took the gifted one to Canada and shot a moose using 190 Accubond. Came back and got a deal on a Hells Canyon Long Range with a 1/8 26 in barrel and bought it. Took it to Colorado and got a 5/5 bull. I now use the Hells Canyon with 212 ELDX.

My Seekins PH2 is rocking 200AB at 3050+ with RL26. Out to my self imposed limits in the windy areas I hunt, it rocks for deer and elk. I've got a stash of 210LRAB but haven't found the time or motivation to work up a load. I've shot a 300wby for decades but prefer the ease of being able to chase the lands when developing loads. With modern components and a 26" barrel, my Seekins gives up nothing to the my MarkV velocity wise with easier load development.

I bought a used M70 SS Classic 300WM in '98 or '99 with an unknown number of rounds through it and shot it a bunch more myself. I had a new Lilja #2 finished @ 24" installed and picked it up this week.

My plan is to load 168TTSX over R-26 in RWS brass. Actually my original plan was 175Badlands but that's no longer an option.

In this esteemed company, I am humbled to admit that I added an on-sale-on-rebate Bass Pro Savage Arms 110 VSX Hunter XP Bolt-Action Rifle with Vortex Diamondback Scope Combo to my group of Remington/ Surgeon/ Defiance 300 WM rifles and one more that is being built. I replaced the scope with the 6.5x20 sale Vortex that is on all of my hunting rifles. It started out as an excuse to shoot-up the 220 Nosler Custom Competition bullets, some of which have marks from being pulled from rounds that I overloaded. With even these bullets, plus a left-over muzzle brake, the rifle is an easy 1-1/2 MOA which is an easy "minute-of-deer". Last year, I almost missed the one shootable deer I saw last year in my public land deer hunt, from an intended high shoulder/spine shot to a very low chest shot - of course, attributed to brush deflection of my Nosler 180 Ballistic-Tip from my "home-job" customized Remington 308 rather than something bad happening from my rock-steady seating shooting position in my blind. So, I have just ordered some Nosler Round-Nosed 220's Ballistic-Tips and am now looking at a new brush gun with the Savage. That is, after removing the plastic stock (found to have almost zero torque on one of the screws after its first shooting), and reducing the pull weight of the Accu-Trigger which is far better than the factory triggers on my Remingtons - all of which I replaced, first with Jewel over the years, and now with Triggertech. I torqued the receiver screws to 45-inch-pounds and cycled the bolt during an evening of TV and now have a relatively smooth action.
IMG_3708.png

It's one the calibers I will always have in my safe. It was my first custom I had built. I can use it for anything and everything. I have 1 elk and 8 black tail under its belt. If you are buying from scratch make sure to throat it long for the better BC bullets. If you don't have a 30 cal rifle you can look at the 300 PRC like everyone else will say. I really like being able to get 300 Win Mag ammo anywhere. I hope this helps.
Jason
In my area, there has been a better selection of anything prc than winmag for a couple years now.
I build a ton 300 win mag's. With my reamer its pretty normal to see the winny scream the 215 hybrids.. really tough round to beat for all around use
Details on the reamer ? My current winmag was chambered by black canyon customs with a saami spec reamer and throated for 215's.

I'm going to do my next barrel myself and I'm in decision on what reamer I want to use. Leaning towards the navy reamer at the moment.

I have three….Browning BLR, Browning BAR, and Weahherby Vanguard. I love all three, and they all shoot MOA or better. The BLR likes Barnes TTSX 168's and RamShot Hunter 77.2 gr the best. The BAR likes ELDX 180's with RL26 the best, and the Vanguard likes 208 ELDX's with RamShot Hunter as well. So many choices 🤔

I have a Sako S20 300 win. I am feeding it 208gr Berger LRTH and 208gr Hornady ELDM.

It likes them over H1000 and IMR7827SSC. Nosler cases for now, but have Lapua that I am transitioning to.

The picture is a 4rd group with the 208gr ELDM over 7828 if I remember right.
SHHHHHHH Dont give away the secret weapon.....

Speaking of 300 WM, this is my free (in exchange for 200 rounds of 7mm brass) local gunsmith-friend's conversion of my "shoot-my-eye-out Walmart self-Christmas-circa 2018-present" 7mm Remington Magnum to 300 WM with a left-over 5R 300 WM barrel. When Remington-affixed to the original factory rifle, I had to light-load rounds specifically for the rifle due to hard bolt lifts due to a suspected very tight chamber. My friend, whom I met at my local shooting club, Memphis Sport Shooting, was sufficiently kind to remove the 7mm barrel using a 4-foot extender on his barrel wrench, after marking the lug position to hopefully match my "home-job" pillar bedding and magazine conversion. He even threaded the new barrel using his home lathe, which was an antique when judged by the modern lathes at my current superb gunsmith, Southern Precision. But the thread "chased-out" just fine with a standard die at the end of the lathe-threading using the mechanical means - rather than computer contol. At the end of the job, everything fit, including a muzzle brake on the newly threaded barrel The picture is against an orange background, as an example as to how deer would see my self-cerakote "camo" rifle against my hunting vest. Once again, a soft-shooting, easy "minute-of-deer" and an actual MOA rifle. The trigger is Triggertech and the bolt handle is Badger Ordnance, installed by their mail-away factory service.
IMG_3712.jpeg

Recent Posts