When to give up on a barrel?

Have you cleaned the barrel at all? Also, before you sell it and buy another factory rifle, I would consider having a good gunsmith install a match grade barrel. If you do however sell it, I would put the money towards a full custom from a reputable rifle builder.

For what it's worth I think I would switch up my bullet selection. You can get 190 Berger long range hybrid targets right now online. Be a great bullet for the 28. I have a fierce fury in 7rm I had a hell of a time in the beginning with it. Tried ELDX, ELDM, ABLR lots of different combos, all 1"-2.5". Switched to 180 Berger target hybrids pushed by 69 gr of Retumbo and it loves them, lots of .5" groups down the pipe. (That said .5" 5 shot groups is a tall order with a 28, recoil management, natural point of aim and fundamentals has a ton to do with being able to shoot that good, more than most would like to admit including myself) Don't give up until you try some Bergers. Don't be afraid to jump the hybrids a little either, like 0.100" sounds crazy but could be a sweet spot. Good luck!

Here is my dilemma. I purchased a new fierce carbon fury 28 nos this spring.
I like the rifle but it will not keep 5 shot groups to the .5 minute min. that They guarentee.
After talking to them I sent it back for them to go over and shoot.
They only guarantee a 3 shot .5 group which they did. I was hoping they would replace the barrel but they wouldn't because it shot 3 into .5. They were using factory nosler 160 gr accubonds. Nothing I could do at that point, it met their guarantee.
My problem is it is basically impossible to find the loaded ammo they used or the bullets.
I have a friend that does a lot of reloading and shooting and is very good at it. We have shot lots of different kinds and weights of bullets, including hammers, 169 and 155 hh. The thing is this rifle is inconsistent as heck. Sometimes the fliers are 4th and 5th shot and then be the complete opposite or anywhere in between.

The barrel is always cooled between shots and have used 3 different scopes and checked to make sure everything is tight.

On top of that now we are getting bolt clicks with adg brass that's been loaded several times. From the research I've done the bolt click issue is from the chamber being a little smaller and the Redding sizer die is able to resize enough to eliminate the bolt click problem.
Fierce and Christiansen chamber their Rifles smaller to gain accuracy from factory ammo which kinda leaves reloaders at a disadvantage.

I'm thinking of giving up an rebarreling with a proof research and starting over.
I need input on which way to go on this.
I would be ok with .75 or even 1moa but can't get the consistency to get it.
I doubt you will be satisfied much less happy until you replace the barrell. Equate how much time and expense you have already invested and still not happy. Cut the chase and make the change

My story is almost the same as yours, but with a great end. I bought my Fierce 28 Nosler 2 years ago. Could not get it to shoot groups. tried all kinds of loads - cases, powders, bullets. Sent it back to Fierce, they did a deep cleaning, shot it and sent it back with the 3 shot group at .3875" group. I talked to them and they said they only guarantee that group using the components they used, including the OAL. Also, they explained to me that their guns are made with very close tolerances to guarantee an accurate first, cold bore shot, since they are made for hunting, not repeated target shooting.
Using their load, 168 Berger VLD's, H1000 powder, I shot the same 3 shot group. After 3 shots, the group spread out to 2-3". I went out to Fierce for their long range shooting course. They guaranteed they would have that rifle shooting a mile. Sure enough, that rifle shot every target out to a mile. The more rounds through it, the better it shoots. So I would say, 1) use their load exactly 2) never shoot more than 3 shot groups to see .5 MOA, 3) The more rounds shot the better the rifle shoots. I was also using a Thunderbeast suppressor.
I had a shillen SS #3 match barrel installed on a 300 WSM. At the beginning it wouldn't print under 1 1/4". I brought it back to Brown Precision and the inspection turned up nothing. At about 100 rounds, the groups shrank to 1", at 150 to 175 they went to 3/4" and then at 250 I got my consistent 1/2" 5 shot groups I wanted. The "break in" apparently took a little longer than I expected!

Also, my Fierce Edge 28 Nosler also shoots Hornady 162 grain Hunter Precision factory loads sub .5MOA as well as the 162 gr. ELDX reloads. I talked to Fierce about using the heavier bullets - 175 AB to 195 Bergers. They said they can be pushed down to their magazine OAL, but probably would not shoot .5 MOA. I have yet to try them.

Have you tried a different brass other than the ADG? Have you tried reloading some of the brass from the factory Ammo that it prints good groups with? What brand brass is the factory ammo using? ADG brass is a different animal and SOME times can make a rifle finicky when finding a load that works well. I experienced this with ADG brass in my 6.5PRC. Took me a while to find the right combination but when I did it printed under 1/2 MOA with no issue at all. That being said, I found it easier and quicker to dial a load with the Hornady brass. I wouldn't trash a barrel that's printing 1/2 MOA three shot groups with factory ammo and continue to work on it.

I like the rifle but it will not keep 5 shot groups to the .5 minute min. that They guarentee.
They only guarantee a 3 shot .5 group which they did. I was hoping they would replace the barrel but they wouldn't because it shot 3 into .5. They were using factory nosler 160 gr accubonds. Nothing I could do at that point, it met their guarantee.
My problem is it is basically impossible to find the loaded ammo they used or the bullets.
I have a friend that does a lot of reloading and shooting and is very good at it. We have shot lots of different kinds and weights of bullets, including hammers, 169 and 155 hh. The thing is this rifle is inconsistent as heck. Sometimes the fliers are 4th and 5th shot and then be the complete opposite or anywhere in between.

The barrel is always cooled between shots and have used 3 different scopes and checked to make sure everything is tight.

On top of that now we are getting bolt clicks with adg brass that's been loaded several times. From the research I've done the bolt click issue is from the chamber being a little smaller and the Redding sizer die is able to resize enough to eliminate the bolt click problem.
Fierce and Christiansen chamber their Rifles smaller to gain accuracy from factory ammo which kinda leaves reloaders at a disadvantage.

I'm thinking of giving up an rebarreling with a proof research and starting over.
So it doesn't shoot 1/2" May not be the end of the world.... What does it shoot?? 3/4" or? give us some perspective.

It is aluminum pillar bedded. I just talked to my smith and think I will ask about skim bedding. We do let the barrel cool between shots, actually we put a vacuum cleaner on the barrel to cool it faster. This good or no??
The seating depth and harmonics I think we could improve on. We will try your advice and see what happens. Not sure about primers, have used cci, fed, and fed match. So ????
Try the Winchester primers if you can lay your hands on them, I am not help on a powder switch from H1000, but you may want to look at H4350, which I have used when I can't get H1000.

FWIW-consider the physics of the problem: slight weight variations of the brass , slight variations in bullet construction, slight chemical variations in powder. IMO if the rifle is shooting.5 for the first 3 shots at 100 yds it
Is a pretty good hunter. If it's for a match rifle
Score/20 shots at 600 yds holding 1.5" to 3"
Then the parameters are different. If you're shooting at deer/elk then the gun is doing it's job for 3 shots. Also consider head placement on the gun, trigger control and breathing/sight picture. Best of Luck buddy!

The thing is they are saying it is a .5 moa rifle but it is not with any reloads or factory ammo that we have tried. What I want is what they supposedly guarantee, a .5 accuracy guarantee. If they say it shoots .5 with factory ammo then why shouldn't I be able to obtain that with hand loads?

Look, I just want 1 rifle in my arsenal that if I luck out and pull a tag in say unit 23 in Arizona late season and need a rifle that will shoot 700 or 890 yards it is able to do it. Is that a completely unrealistic thing to shoot for?? And no I don't care about f class anything.
So how many bonus points do you have for late 23 elk for AZ? Had that hunt this year.

IF you give up on the barrel- I would pay to have it shipped to me and give you future discount on our one of our products.

Regards- John Baker

Yes did seating test with berger 168 and 180s. Also with the 169 and 155 hh.
Have also tried fierce's dirt nap loaded ammo in 160gr accubond and 180 vld.
Plus 162 gr hornady eldx and federal 155 gr terminal assent.
My reloading friend is pretty much hooked on using h 1000. He says he can get any 28 nos to shoot to it's best potential with h1000 and he has done a lot of load work in other 28s and other calibers. I have suggested we use a different powder but he said it won't help?? I noticed in the hammer loads hardly anyone is using h1000. A lot are using rl 26 and n570 but I do not have those. I do however have retumbo, imr8133, n568, us 869, ramshot magnum and lrt. Maybe my rifle just doesn't like h1000?
He does use a lab radar and does ladder tests in .5 grain increments to find nodes.
i load mine with berger 195's and retumbo. shoots under 5 moa.