What's your Shooting Positions

Within 200 yards, I have used every possible position. Beyond 200 yards, it has been prone. I cannot think of a single exception, must be >75 animals past 200. Simply not stable enough in any other position to trust the shot.

I practice all positions but will use prone every chance I can get - which is more often than not. To each his own, however, we do owe it to the animal to kill as quickly and cleanly as possible and to have the discipline to know when a shot shouldn't be taken because you aren't in the proper position for that shot.

YEP ^^^^^^^
Learn them all, Use the one that is needed for the job at hand.
THIS ^^^^ When, I need to shoot offhand, my arm is braced against the Sling, to about, 125 yards (or over, a Branch if, in Timber), when in sitting position, to 300 yards, I use Hunter's Specialties, "Sticks" with, a Pack under, the rifles "Toe" (Pack against my chest), "sticks" held by hand firmly and braced against my knee and when shooting "prone" it's over my back pack with, a Holland Field Bag, (Toe Rest), for shots beyond 300 yards,.. I don't carry, a Bipod anymore, as the Rifle, change's POI for all, the "other" methods, that I use ! Bonus,.. one pound OFF the Rifle's weight !

Last edited:
Over the last 20 years, most have been over shooting sticks. Antelope, sheep, elk, to moose. Around 100 yards to 430+ yards. Can't recall a miss off of the sticks! My sticks can carry me over 40" of ground cover.....with stability's! memtb

Last edited:
Sitting with a M1907 sling is my favorite.

Also, The Art of the Rifle by Jeff Cooper is a great read for anybody interested in learning the positions.

I have yet to take anything prone as the weeds are always very high. Most shots come from sitting in a stand or blind and I try to rest my support arm on something somehow. If on a stalk style hunt, kneeling and using knee to rest my elbow on has worked well.

Hi all:

99% of them are taken off hand. With the terrain prone is usually out of the questions, either grass too tall or to many cactus on the ground, and good luck with that Lol.

Best regards

LVJ76

Prone if at all possible. Especially if it is more than a couple hundred yards. If prone is not possible then shooting sticks. Have found that if conditions are favorable you can get quite stable with shooting sticks. Have used my pack both laying down and sitting up depending on situation. And of coarse off hand for those closer shots when you don't have the opportunity to get more stable. Try to limit these shots to under 100 yards. The one I probably used the most until I got a little more decent gear (bipod, shooting sticks) was sitting and using my knees and possibly the rifle sling. All in all most of my shots are 200 yards and less. But it is nice to feel you have the equipment and if you have put in the practice, the ability to shoot at longer distance if necessary. Nothing more fun than hiking over hill and dale just to see what might be there. Good luck to all, be safe and have fun.

For MO whitetails, mostly offhand or against a tree.
Out west, off a knee, off my pack or bino harness while prone. Sometimes off a tripod.

Most of my personal shots on big game have been sitting w. bipod, sometimes draped over a stump/root ball/branch/pack for a rear rest when I can. From 18 to 662.

Prone for long shots or whenever conditions/terrain/time permits for anything over 100. Have made shots from 100 to 882 on big game, and 1327 and two at 1365 on coyotes.

A few offhand shots under 200 when time was of the essence on a game animal that made the mistake of a last minute look. And several on coyotes/jackrabbits.

I try to promote prone for people I hunt with whenever possible. Sitting with a bipod and good rear rest as a second choice. Off a good tripod for a third choice if terrain/growth is higher than sitting allows. I try to steer them from offhand shots as much as possible for shooters with limited experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts