Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

91785B88-8C6E-40D8-A77A-9FCF3DD52146.jpeg

hahahahaha

Your comment about the small bore .300 win mag is funny. But 30 cal of any case capacity IS still smallbore I suppose…

But it just reminds me of the polar opposite view that all the old guys from church (and I say that with respect!) that taught me how to shoot and hunt seem to have. They all, without exception, hunt exclusively with .308 Winchester or .30-06 Springfield. They respect the 243…as a round for women and children only. They all grew up and learned on .303 British and .30-30 Winchester (as did I). They nod their head with respect for the .270 Winchester as a legitimate, useful, and time honoured cartridge but they themselves don’t see any reason for it, they have no use for one personally. But it’s acceptable, nothing weird or out of place. I honestly don’t know if these guys have even heard of the 6.5 creedmoor yet - these are old school men living out in the middle of nowhere in the country with no cell phone service, no internet, and some of them choose to live without any tv in the house and I think they’re happier for it. And 30 caliber is the only caliber that really matters 🤣
I knew a guy like this. He was a bachelor farmer. His place was always good for some fun goose shoots. My dad would ask permission and he would say "Sure what time will you have my blind ready?" He was terrific wing shooter and he used to needle me about my Rem 1100. He shot an old Double barrel that could only hold 2 3/4" shot shells. I would get so frustrated cause I would get my 3 shots off (3" mag with #2 or BB) and get 1 goose. He was getting doubles nearly every time we flipped the cover. He would then start in with how I was going broke poking holes in the clouds. I can imagine him looking down and shaking his head every time I am putting 31/2" in my fancy Benelli now.

Had similar but different scenario. Friends of friends, their son was an Olympic or training to br Olympic trap shooter. So we go goose hunting and boom... boom... boom... three shots... 3 head shot geese. Then the frigging guy pouted because we wouldn't let him shoot ANY of our birds

They also cook off better. Almost burned my house down.
Almost burned the house down... cooking!!! You must know my life???

Actually she almost burnt down her parents house as a kid. Found her dad's lighter on the floor and lit the curtains on fire!!!

I know what you mean, Calvin, in my years of service in support of my own country's nuclear weapons program I've seen more rancid .50 BMG brass scattered all over the desert's floor at the Nevada Test Site than you can imagine. Makes me sick at my stomach just to think about it!
I was at the range the other day and someone left 35rem, 30-30, 44mag and 458 socom brass to go rancid ....

Bad news is now I have to buy a 35rem so I can use that brass 😮‍💨

I’m glad that I haven’t bought a firearm to “fit” all of the brass I’ve picked up since I was, “literally”, a child! In my 65 or so years of picking up brass, I’m 70, of picking up discarded brass…..I’ve picked up some rather unusual stuff! 😉 memtb

My trouble is... I used to know a guy who was an absolute reloading guru. Had over 300 sets of dies. You name it he had owned one at one point and thus had to have reloading dies for it. So every time I picked up a new toy... we would reload a bunch. Then I got my own reloading equipment and then it was. But a new toy... oh i don't have time to reload, I'll just pick up a box. Oh gun show.... 4 boxes of 280 Ackley nosler factory cause the guy picked it up in an estate sale and selling it a super good price. Gotta but it. Then you go hunting and it's like shoot once to check zero and see a deer and 1 shot and seasons done. And my rule is once a gun has shot something... well it goes in the safe lol. Buy another one and the cycle starts over.

2 years ago the wife and I were out for whitetail and seen a really nice buck and he was booting her. I knew he was heading towards a farm yard so I booted her around in the car (yep hunting in a 200 VW golf that year with 2 Rubbermaids in the back seat) and come up and he's booting her about 350 yards away. Jump out and throw a shell in the 257 WBY and took a crack at him at about 400 yards running and missed of course. I get back in the car and the wife goes "you missed" with 100% seriousness. I was like for F#### sakes that was a hard shot!!! She looks and says but you never miss and she was being 100 honest. It was just the fact that the past 3 years she had been with me for whitetail and mule deer with shots ranging from 30 to 220 yards and all 1 shot kills. This year my shooting was horrible and I got razed pretty badly. So I swore up and down that j was getting back out to the range a lot more. I work in engineering on roads and there are tons of gravel pits that we are in. So usually something goes in the car/truck to get some practicing in but I haven't been doing it lately and it showed. Plus I very much like the... ok rock sitting on that sand pile. Thinking 325 yards... take a poke and see how you do. Ok. Grass on that side slope. Best practice for me.