What Is Your Longest Shotgun Slug Big Game Kill?

What Is Your Longest Shotgun Slug Big Game Kill?

• 0 to 50 YDS

Votes: 54 17.0%
  • 51 to 100 YDS

Votes: 79 24.9%
  • 101 to 150 YDS

Votes: 76 24.0%
  • 151 to 200 YDS

Votes: 53 16.7%
  • 201 to 250 YDS

Votes: 36 11.4%
  • Over 250 YDS

Votes: 19 6.0%

• Total voters
196 yards.Remington 870 with Barnes x bullet

Many years ago when the Barns sabots just came out, put 4 out of 5 into a running doe @ 175+ yards= like sending a helicopter through critters..
Here is one of the recovered slugs, two must not have opened and went sailing threw??

slugs.jpg

305 Yards. Savage 212, nikon slug hunter bdc scope, 3" Hornady SST bullets. 16 point buck wide open in a picked corn field gave me enough time to lay down, set my bipod and range him with the range finder. Piled him up where he stood. After cleaning and processing him I found the slug. It did not expand and was lodged in the opposite shoulder. After seeing that, I don't think I would try it again. Guess all that practice during the summer paid off.

I whacked many in the 125-150yd range, buy my longest was around 240yds..

Old model Abolt slug gun, Schmidt bender scope, and custom loaded slugs (similar to Lightfield mold)

The new Savage 20g rifled slug guns are cheap, but everyone I have been around shoots 1.5" at 100 yards with Remington accu tips. I shot a doe in Iowa 2 years ago at 175yrds no problem. Just know the wind really pushes them around.

Winchester 1300 Remington premier core lokt ultra 385 grain. Best slug ever made, too bad they discontinued them. 250 yds. Upper lungs behind shoulder. Went down in 30 yds. Had good expansion and exit.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.