How far are you accurate with your slug gun?

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
When I started hunting in a non-rifle county here in Wisconsin I almost went the slug gun route before settling on a centerfire handgun. How far do you figure you can hunt with your slug guns?

Len

I am currently using a Encore 20 ga with win 2 3/4 platinum supreme 260 gr. Groups are about 1.5" for three shots at 100.

Nikon BDC and took one this year here in VA at 176 yds. 200 is no problem. Rangefinder for exact range is critical.

Before I used a Mossberg 695 bolt gun with fed premium 2 3/4 Barnes expanders and killed at 189 yds. Once again with rangefinder.

BH

Pretty easy to figure the BC of the slug if the mftr does not give it by using any ballistics program.

From there simple wind drift numbers for 100 yard and 200 yard at 10 mph is all I use.

I make a simple BDC diagram chart with exact ranges for each circle with wind drift for 100 and 200 yds. Laminate in credit card size and that is all you need.

BH

off the top of my head, I think it was like 4.5" at 100 with 10 mph and somewhere around 18-19" at 200.

this is an open tip bullet and the new barnes plastic tips are down around 3" at 100.

BH

Last edited:
I also shot 1.5" 100 yard groups with 12 gauge Lightfield Hybrid slugs through my H&R slug gun. With these slugs, about 150 is it. That handles 99.9% of my shots here in Illinois. Once gun season starts, the big boys don't get caught in the open and if they do, they are haulin.....:cool:

In my opinion, 200 yards is the extreme end of a slug gun's ethical range. With the right gun and slug you can probably hit a deer at this range, but you are also losing energy quickly because the slug has a very low BC (between .17 and .20 typically). You not only have accuracy to contend with, but wind drift, time of flight (animal movement), and of course the energy issue.

I shot a bull elk at 130 yards this year with a 12 gauge Platinum tip slug. I recovered the slug, and it showed virtually no expansion. I attribute that to the slow speed.

In my opinion, 200 yards is the extreme end of a slug gun's ethical range. With the right gun and slug you can probably hit a deer at this range, but you are also losing energy quickly because the slug has a very low BC (between .17 and .20 typically). You not only have accuracy to contend with, but wind drift, time of flight (animal movement), and of course the energy issue.

I shot a bull elk at 130 yards this year with a 12 gauge Platinum tip slug. I recovered the slug, and it showed virtually no expansion. I attribute that to the slow speed.

I've been pushing the 200 yard range for years now. Expansion???? I double lung shot a doe in Missouri around 219-222 yards give or take. She ran about twenty yards and tipped over. I've shot my biggest buck to date, high shoulder just under 200 yards, I still have that slug!

I shot a deer in MI last season at about 175. I've got an H&R ultra slug gun that loves lightfields. 12ga with a 3x9 bushnell does the trick for me.

I am getting an Ithaca Deerslayer III next month with a Nikon Slughunter scope.

I am expecting 4 inch, 200 yard groups. With ideal wind conditions, I expect this to be a 250 yard deer killer.

Here in Indiana we are limited to slug guns, CF pistols or a VERY limited selection of CF rifles. The CF rifles have to use a cartridge case that is between 1.16" and 1.62" long with a bullet dia of .357" min. handguns, well, almost amything goes.

I've settled on a Tar-Hunt DSG for the State Park Deer reduction hunts where you are supposed to take the first 3 deer that you see, and a Savage muzzleloader for regular deer season here. The Savage is more accurate than the slug gun, and can reach out farther (300 Yd is doable). With the slug gun, 4" @ 200 Yds with a certain lot of hornady SST slugs is the norm. Switch lots and it opens up to 8"-10" @ 200.

The Ithica's are great guns for a treestand but dang heavy to haul around the woods.
As for yardages?????? I rolled a doe off the other hillside,later ranged it @ 325 but it took 3 shots to walk it in(one dumb deer!!) The last doe I shot with 1300 Winchester rifled slug barrel was running @ 175 yards and I hit her with 4 out of the five roundsgun)
Only recover one slug but they apeared to have what it takes to GET-R-DONE, man they ripped through her like a helicopter!!
bullets.jpg

I still have that old 1300 Winchester even though my shoulder will never take the recoil of that magnatude ever again.

old%20toy%20pics%20015.jpg

These days I much prefer the Ruger Super Red Hawk in 454 Casull. Lot easier on the shoulder, easier to carry through the woods and it likes bigger deer :D

cjg.jpg

Please keep us updated on your advetures with the 12 guage slug and good luck with it!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.