Closest slug kill

HawkeyeFan

I know this board is about long range but slugs were for years a close range proposition. The closest kill I ever made was 9 yards. The buck was running right at me and I was going to see how close he would get. He turned broadside when he sensed me and I dropped him with one shot from my Mossberg 500 20 gauge. I walked 9 steps up to it and was surprised to see a fairly wide very tall but relatively thin 9 point rack. Would have been 10 but one tine was broken. To this day it is the sencond largest buck I have taken.

Thanks,

HawkeyeFan

Ahhh! I have took a few close. Growing up in Iowa I started deer hunting with an old JC Higgens Bolt action 20 ga. only sight was a bead on the end of the barrel. If you were not close with the thing you missed. :D I remember a very cold winter day doing the belly crawl down a fence row then into the creek and crawling on ice for what seemed like 10 miles.:rolleyes: Hey! the creeks in Iowa can be awfully curvey. But I came up right in the middle of the 4 bedded does I had seen from a half mile a way. I don't remember how far, but it was more like feet than yards. I snuck the barrel through the horse weeds on the edge of the creek bank and took the closest one in the neck. I still think all that crawling and sneaking while I was younger is why I now like the long range stuff so much now.

Jeff gun)gun)

Not sure of actual distance, but I could have touched him and the tree I was in at the same time. I was up about 20ft. He got bumped to me by a guy doing some still hunting. I wanted to let him walk out a bit, but was afraid he was going to bust out and get no shot at all. Just the 20ga Lightfield slug right on his spine between his shoulders, he just fell to the ground.

I was 14 and sitting on a bucket. A small doe came trotting by at just 4yds. At the shot she stopped and looked at me! The second dropped her right there. Glad I had a 20" barrel on my 12ga 870 or she probably would have run into it.

This past deer season I shot a doe at 8ft away. I was hunting from the ground and this thing came walking right down the trail I was off of, but from an angle that didnt give me a clear shot till directly in front of me(I was expecting deer to come from the other way:rolleyes:). She never knew I was there, and 1 shot of a 20ga Federal Barnes Expander slug out of my Savage 220f dropped her in her tracks.

Funny how things work. I put this 220f together w/a Leupold Ultimate Slam scope and I can consistantly hit a 15" gong@ 300yrds and shoot 1" groups@ 100yrds wth it. I had hoped on taking a couple long shots with it this year but none presented itself. Instead I shot 4 deer with a total distance of about 60yrds(1@8ft, 1@25ft, 1@60ft, and 1@100ft ).

3 feet maybe 2 1/2 feet a way.The buck was laying down on a ridge on a real windy day, looking over a field.At first I thought it was a dog when I walked up behind it.He was in some brush.As I got right up on him I saw it was a 8 point buck.I pulled up my shotgun and shot him in the back of the neck and he layed his head down. He never know I was there or what hit him..

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.