What gun would you want if the SHTF?

Was having a BS session today tearing down our elk camp about what gun we would want if the s*#% hit the fan. We figured a gun that could shoot to 800 yards reliably would be the ticket and it would have to have a decent magazine system.

I was thinking I'd go buy a Remington 700 Police in 308 and have a detachable mag system installed with a few 10 rd mags then stick a 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 on it...mostly because that would about drain my savings right now. :D

How about everyone else?

I hope this hasn't been posted before.
I would want all the ones I currently have now, one ain't gonna cut it!

A thread resurrected from the past……but, perhaps more relevant now than ever before! Our Republic is going to hell
You guys have it right with the "Not one gun" concept. But the right way to do it is the "Team" concept.
After over 14 1/2 years I changed my mind…trust no one!😂😂😂

Ruger 77/22 SS "Boat Paddle" in 22LR. Light, reliable, weatherproof, simple. You can have a whole bunch of ammo in nothing more than a small pocket and it doesn't make a bunch of racket when you fire it.
For Armageddon you want to pack a .22? You my friend are either extremely proficient and brave or flat out nuts!😂

AR-15 with optic, Glock on my side next to my k bar and shotgun slung on my back until needed. And banded together with those I love and trust. No one is winning anything on there on long term. Keep a close eye on what you can and pray God has mercy. Hopefully people have enough sense to change before America becomes like other places and has a war with itself…. Because that's when the other countries will finally be brazen enough to come…. Not counting the ones already here.

Got to love old threads 😂

For Armageddon you want to pack a .22? You my friend are either extremely proficient and brave or flat out nuts!😂
I honestly don't think all that hard about any of this. If one doesn't have a reasonably secret, defensible, adequate supply of potable water you're not going to make much more than 10-12 days anyway.

In the event of full-on Armageddon, if you can make the 1st 6Mo or so, you're no longer doing anything to alert other's to your presence, friend or foe. Loud reports and/or even the sonic boom/crack of a suppressed supersonic rifle will be akin to ringing the dinner-bell. Not much different than it is now for elk hunters and Grizzly Bears in the Thoroughfare of WY, Bob Marshall in MT, or Blacktail deer hunters in coastal AK. Except instead of Grizz coming to see what the fuss is all about, it may be another armed survivor.

I honestly don't think all that hard about any of this. If one doesn't have a reasonably secret, defensible, adequate supply of potable water you're not going to make much more than 10-12 days anyway.

In the event of full-on Armageddon, if you can make the 1st 6Mo or so, you're no longer doing anything to alert other's to your presence, friend or foe. Loud reports and/or even the sonic boom/crack of a suppressed supersonic rifle will be akin to ringing the dinner-bell. Not much different than it is now for elk hunters and Grizzly Bears in the Thoroughfare of WY, Bob Marshall in MT, or Blacktail deer hunters in coastal AK. Except instead of Grizz coming to see what the fuss is all about, it may be another armed survivor.

Agreed with the majority of your post.

But, long term survival has a great deal where you attempt to survive. Much like in real estate …… Location, Location, Location! 🤔

And a lot of prior preparation! 😉 memtb

I can understand your thinking, and I don't think too much about it either. My perception of the thread was actually making it through the short term and defending whatever rations you have in the mean time. My point was if you are defending your family and home (and keeping whatever preparations you made) you're bold to rely on a .22LR. For procuring substance in the form of small/medium game, a subsonic .22 will do nicely…so will a suppressed -add cartridge here- with a stash of subsonic rounds. However I believed people that think they will live on such are sadly mistaken, that's what everyone seems to believe they will do. When everyone is killing everything they see just to eat, pretty soon there will be nothing to see…except people.😳 Historically speaking, what happens next?

I can understand your thinking, and I don't think too much about it either. My perception of the thread was actually making it through the short term and defending whatever rations you have in the mean time. My point was if you are defending your family and home (and keeping whatever preparations you made) you're bold to rely on a .22LR. For procuring substance in the form of small/medium game, a subsonic .22 will do nicely…so will a suppressed -add cartridge here- with a stash of subsonic rounds. However I believed people that think they will live on such are sadly mistaken, that's what everyone seems to believe they will do. When everyone is killing everything they see just to eat, pretty soon there will be nothing to see…except people.😳 Historically speaking, what happens next?

These are some of the reasons that a well thought out, implemented plan can be helpful.

Living in a low population, very rural area. Many miles from any large city (lets say in excess of 15K people), many miles from a four lane or interstate highway (lets say 100+ miles), a somewhat secluded, stocked pond for a long term meat/protein source after most of the wildlife/stock and larger animals are gone, a good garden area (which will attract some edible small animals) with abundant stockpile of natural fertilizers, a supply of Heritage seeds, a large supply of long term storage foods (for the poor crop years), a large stockpile medications plus medical/first aid books, alternate heat/energy sources, a good quantity of hand (not power) tools, endless water supply including a well, free range chickens, a multitude of small animal traps (raccoons and other small animals will survive when large animals are depleted), a good library of books for entertainment and education of the young folks, and much more.

A decent report with you neighbors, that may have some skillsets that could benefit those nearby.

Above and beyond all of this……a huge supply of "luck"! That's the one thing that you can't prep for! memtb