What does Deer Hunting teach you?

I have learned much about life, and solved many of life's troubles while sitting in a deer stand. Now, as a seasoned hunter I've learned that walking out of the woods a little lighter than when I walked in is as important as any part of it. I wouldn't have understood that when I was younger. To quote a man of God who listened to me talk about deer hunting years ago over a cup of coffee, the woods are my cathedral. He knew nothing about hunting, but I don't think any truer words had ever been spoken about me. He completely understood how I felt.
Well stated... couldn't agree more!

Perseverance, persistence, accepting not harvesting not as defeat, but still seeing it as a success, learning it's the process, not just then end result that determines growth and success. Loving the quietness, slowness and steady progression of nature. Seeing God's hand in every little detail and appreciating the wholeness of His creation!
Well said

Many good lessons well said above. However, one of the most valuable lessons (hunting in general, not just deer) is- once the trigger is pulled, the shot can't be called back. The result, good or bad, is on your shoulders. All youngsters should experience taking the life of an animal- and the feelings that go along with it. I think it would go a long way toward reducing the current wave of violence if every youngster experienced the blood on their hands at an early age. Then again, without the guidance most of us were blessed with having, it may have no effect.

Sorry to hear this my friend....6 Hot buttered Rums...2 before you get into a deep hot bath..( so you can move to get in) 2 during....( so you can move to get back out) and 2 when you get back to your easy chair! Good as new!

Hurting or not, 6 buttered rums and I am doing something stupid, like hunting while all busted up

You mean like this. Last December in the middle of town crossing the street from Pizza Hut to Walmart…and on my way hunting.

View attachment 516550
Well that was your first m
Many car accidents I would imagine are the reason for our quotas. And we eat venison year-round, a steak or pork roast as a treat.

We also have bad resource mangers here in MI. Two bucks and 10 doe. Can kill deer from sept to Jan. We badly need earn a buck so people stop shooting small ones and start shooting some doe

It's taught me that there are a lot of hunters that can't hit the broadside of a barn and handle firearms unsafely. Consequently, it taught me to watch the other guy closely.

I didn't think about this ^^^^^^^ but you are right. I see some egregious firearm handling every time I'm around more than a few hunters. I think most hunters are not "shooters" per se and spend very little time using/firing their rifles. Sitting around the campfire you sure hear a lot of stories that make you chuckle inside.

One thing that I've learned - being a successful deer hunter takes more than just planning & perseverance. It often takes a good measure of luck too.

I joke, but passing on the tradition is where my joy lives now. Having a kiddo in the blind with you and seeing the excitement in their eyes is worth every wasted dollar, every missed opportunity, every sunrise and every sunset spent chasing them.

I still get excited seeing a buck skirting the brush or treeline, chasing a doe whether he's a spike or a mature old bruiser.

Small compared to other parts of the US, but big buck for 1/2hr outside DFW.

View attachment 516615

I like shooting does now, they eat better and we have too many. They get my heart just as excited as any cull buck

View attachment 516616
Nice buck!

Watching the kids and grandchildren discover the outdoors!
5 year old grandsons first deer

Attachments

• 5E128293-19A6-4D84-B682-A9A1A3BA421A.png
    5E128293-19A6-4D84-B682-A9A1A3BA421A.png
    348.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 9C87FC6A-B82B-4551-A046-C511D4F3513B.png
    9C87FC6A-B82B-4551-A046-C511D4F3513B.png
    348.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 62DD800E-B8C9-4846-91E6-0062C7854E94.png
    62DD800E-B8C9-4846-91E6-0062C7854E94.png
    334 KB · Views: 38
  • BFA7F387-02D7-4184-8840-50D90E1DB1CB.jpeg
    BFA7F387-02D7-4184-8840-50D90E1DB1CB.jpeg
    472.3 KB · Views: 38
Watching the kids and grandchildren discover the outdoors!
5 year old grandsons first deer
That's what it's all about. I can't wait till my youngest is old enough. My oldest is special needs so we can't do a lot of the normal stuff. So him and I "hunt" we drive around look for turkey or deer. Then every now and again we try and stalk one. He's not good at being still or quite even his shhhh is loud. But it's hunting and teaches me it's more than just putting game on the ground.