What constitutes “inherently accurate “?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Savage makes a production Model 12 6 Br that will shoot in the .2 and .3 all day long with 80 grain Berger bullet .This is a off the shelf entry bench gun.Is it the great cartridge or the barrel?

It seems pretty clear that virtually every inherently accurate cartridge is also inherently easy to shoot. Have you heard lately that the 375 Cheytac or any of the other boomers that range out to 2 miles are "inherently accurate"? Hell no! Do Benchrest folks even try to see what these cartridges are capable of at short range? Hell no...and the reason is because it is punishment to fire higher recoiling cartilages at high rates. Even a 7mm Mag is a handful at the rate of fire required in those competitions. Does the term "FLINCH" strike a chord with anyone?
I think you'd be surprised what guys are playing with, some of the best BR shooters I know have bench guns configured in Cheytacs and Lapua class chamberings as well and are wringing them out and learning stuff.

Wow,I've been reading and following all the comments on this subject of "inherently accurate ".Lots of good ideas and opinions out there.We're all entitled to our ideas and opinions.What works for "one" does not work for "everyone".For me,I'm going to keep on doing what's good for me and that is an "inherently accurate " statement.Happy reloading everyone.

I often wonder what would be the results if the best ballisticians, bullet, & rifle engineers would design a cartridge that didn't start with an available parent case, available production bullets and it wasn't required to fit in the bulk of production rifles being made. In other words, start from the ground up fresh not worrying about which companies, x,y or z would be able to profit. Design it cause it is absolutely designed well and not because it has to fit in this or that action, or because this parent case is already a available etc... Not realistic but interesting to ponder.
I have often wondered why this hasn't been done.

It's because collaboration/partnerhip is not an easy endeavor. Hornady has very good success though. There is also what I call "WIIFM factor" - What's In It For Me. Profit margin$ remain$ the bottom-line number$/return on inve$tment$. In short, it's all about $$$$$, whether we like it or not ... just my 2-pence.

I think if you look at the work behind the 6.5 Creedmore and I know the 300 PRC has been going through the design wringer for 8+ years I think you'll find the answer to why they are taking of, ya there is marketing but there was a lot of design changes and shooting before marketing got their way with it, really marketing had an easy job when the design seems to just drop in and everything you put in it shoots.

I think if you look at the work behind the 6.5 Creedmore and I know the 300 PRC has been going through the design wringer for 8+ years I think you'll find the answer to why they are taking of, ya there is marketing but there was a lot of design changes and shooting before marketing got their way with it, really marketing had an easy job when the design seems to just drop in and everything you put in it shoots.

Are you saying Hornady's success is not just a hype? ;):cool::D:rolleyes:

It's because collaboration/partnerhip is not an easy endeavor. Hornady has very good success though. There is also what I call "WIIFM factor" - What's In It For Me. Profit margin$ remain$ the bottom-line number$/return on inve$tment$. In short, it's all about $$$$$, whether we like it or not ... just my 2-pence.

Correct! The US gun industry is $350 BILLION a year!!!

As stated earlier there are cartridges that guard against inaccuracy factors and these seem to generally have a more consistent POI. The 270 WSM was mentioned earlier as being inherently "finicky" in SAMMI configuration. There is some merit to this comment when using heavies in my experience. I have extended the throat on my 270 WSM it greatly lessened the "finicky" nature in achieving 1/2 MOA accuracy. Bottom line is that with enough testing you can find "that" load for almost any cartridge but those that lessen the inaccuracy factors make under 1 MOA more available to the public at reasonable cost in a production rifle. Hornady just figured that out and is profiting from it. Not the best news for Smiths and custom ammo companies but great for the consumer. I will never buy a production rifle because I love the game of creating and building something unique. If that is not your thing but long range shooting is, newer cartridge options are making that possible in reasonably priced factory packages.

Hornady seem to be the front runner in developing new cartridges that are well designed. I like Hornady bullets and while they do have small room for improvement, I cannot complain about them. Lapua is still the front runner but not only producer of premium brass. If Hornady would buy out a small company that makes premium brass and sell it at a profitable price point, they would be a dominant force for years to come and the long range community would benefit as well. Remington ammo Winchester ammo still appeals to many people and for good reasons such as price point but they may find themselves in still in the dark ages in the near future. Hornady has been the leader in r&d here lately, employing features that benchrest & long range reloaders pioneered. Their endeavors into that have paid off with the 6.5 creedmoor. Sometimes I do get sick of the marketing hype but never the less I want to see their success with cartridges like 6.5 prc and 300 prc even though I do not plan in shooting one, there development & success benefits the long range shooting community as a whole.

As stated earlier there are cartridges that guard against inaccuracy factors and these seem to generally have a more consistent POI. The 270 WSM was mentioned earlier as being inherently "finicky" in SAMMI configuration. There is some merit to this comment when using heavies in my experience. I have extended the throat on my 270 WSM it greatly lessened the "finicky" nature in achieving 1/2 MOA accuracy. Bottom line is that with enough testing you can find "that" load for almost any cartridge but those that lessen the inaccuracy factors make under 1 MOA more available to the public at reasonable cost in a production rifle. Hornady just figured that out and is profiting from it. Not the best news for Smiths and custom ammo companies but great for the consumer. I will never buy a production rifle because I love the game of creating and building something unique. If that is not your thing but long range shooting is, newer cartridge options are making that possible in reasonably priced factory packages.
That was me for the 270 wsm. Yes, finicky for heavies in factory configuration. Rethroat it for heavies and I cannot help but believe a fellow would have an absolute non finicky rifle if the twist was adequate. Great case design in in of itself but loaded cartridge oal design does not lend itself to being non finicky with heavies.

Status
Not open for further replies.