WHAT CALIBER???

Being that you may take up reloading down the road and you spec'd out to 800 yards I'd go 300 win or 300 wsm depending on action length. If you start reloading they can both be downloaded and braked for new shooters and loaded up and heavy for extending your range in either case. Regardless if you plan to be effective at 800 you should get into reloading or you probably won't shoot much at 50$+ for a box of capable factory ammo.

300 H&H. Built from the same case as the 300wm and not far behind in terms of muzzle velocity, maybe in front if the 300wm uses a 21" barrel and you use a 24" one, I have to say that a 26" barrel was best for it.
It's not fashionable but it still can make 30 cal inlet holes in things and Federals introduced new technology to the round so that the difference between it and the newer stuff is minimal. More and more ammo companies produce modern loads for it that are more potent than the original loads.
Down the road, one of the features that make it an equal amongst its peers is the case shape, it's less likely to hang up when feeding than some of the other 300 mags and I know they don't do it often.
The other thing is you can get the barrel rechambered for a larger capacity case if you choose to.
Apparently ammo sales in the US have doubled in many areas so the popularity is growing hence second hand values. There are those that say the barrel will last longer than some of the newer rounds and there are some that poo-poo that statement.
Historically it was a good 1000 yard round at camp perry and the distance and target size haven't changed there, also gravity is still the same.
Here's a story about the first time the round was used there https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2016/3/24/the-wimbledon-cup/

300H&H is great but pricey to shoot factory ammo.

300PRC looks like it has great potential but no garautee it will catch fire and have factory ammo available long term...

I vote for 300WM or 300WSM.

300 PRC or 300 WM 800 yards look at the 200 plus gr bullet. They start slower but retain velocity WAY better than the lighter bullets are flatter and have less wind drift.

The 300 Winchester Magnum is a good choice. In comparison with the 300 Weatherby the ammo if you don't reload is quite a bit cheaper. Both pretty close in performance.

I shoot & Load several 30 Caliber Rifles, the 300WM is one of them, as such, 30-30, 308, 30-06 ad 300WM can shoot the same 30 caliber bullets (Mostly). If I had to choose 1 and only 1, I would choose the 300 WM. It is versatile and effective against anything in North or South America.

I would suggest you consider learning to and Practice Reloading the 300WM, it is SO Cost Effective due to the cost of Ammo. The last time I loaded 300WM (Last Year), seems like I would be loading at about a Dollar each, compared to substantially more commercially. But yuo have to factor in the cost of reloading setup.... The feeling of shooting your first reload is a memory not soon forgotten.

Good Luck with your choice
dg

Having just gotten a lightweight Kimber Hunter in 308 for the grandkids my thoughts might seem inconsistent.
I'd go with the 300 PRC.
The design is close to optimal for using a standard size action with a .532 case head. It will give close to 300 Weatherby performance in a "medium" long action (3.4").

I just bought an .30 cal hc carbon barrel blank from elk hunter in the classifieds to build a 800 yard light weight hunting rifle. Im not quite sure what caliber I should chamber it in.

I DO NOT RELOAD SO FACTORY AMMO IS A BIG CONSIDERATION

THANKS
RGVT4
.300 win mag if you want all the distance and affordable shells available everywhere!

I have the 300 Weatherby mag and the ammo is very expensive. If I could do it all over again I'd choose the 300 Win mag.
You don't lose much performance and the ammo is less expensive.

I'm a 30 Cal guy for sure. But if it had to be just 1 I would have to go 300wm. You can download it for critters with crazy velocity and ramp it up for big game to 230gr.

You are crippling yourself before you get started.
Handloading IS The Most Valuable Capacity to own if you seek to be a precision capable rifleman.

Get a benchrest gunsmith to ream your chamber and choose your specific bullet so he can throat your barrel for it. The .308win and .30-06 (go Ackley Improved) are The Choices for barrel life. You SHOULD get the most recent Sierra book and STUDY the ballistic info there. It won't have all the most recent whizbang improved ctgs, but mostly they are for guys who chase gimmicks.

The .300win mag IS the most likely magnum solution. For about $40 a box, you can buy Federal Match ammo. Used to be they used match brass for those loadings. Do you really need a magnum? Probably not. Compare the .30-06 AI with 180/200gr match bullets to the .300win loaded with same. Not a BIG difference... Just more flexibility with the .30-06 case than any .30 magnum; plus you get 5 or 6 in the magazine.

The Win 70 Classic in stainless IS a superlative action. Buy a model 70 SS Classic in .30-06 and do your learning/experimenting with the factory barrel, then have your custom barrel reamed and fitted. If you can find a Mod 70 Classic with a McMillan or HS-Precision stock, that's one less item for concern. The HS Precision stocks are very underrated for their ready-to go accuracy solution.

The chamber is your main concern. You want about .0005 to .001 over go-gauge, which is the minimum SAAMI chamber dimension. A factory barel can be set-forward, meaning the shank can be trimmed to deliver the tight-chamber that favors precision. If improving to an AI chamber it all comes together in one job.

To get The Most out of your money and time, handloading is essential. The custom barrel is much less a precision boost without ammunition tuned to your specific setup. Much easier to learn the precision game with a non-magnum ctg. You will also NEED a really fine scope base and ring system to attain consistently precise results. Buy the best mount system first, then use what's left from your optic budget on a scope. The Near Mfg picatinny rail is the best there is.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.