WHAT CALIBER???

All great suggestions, but I'm thinking the 300WSM offerings are pretty good.
The ballistics and specs are worth checking out.
With plenty of options on boxed ammo also, some are loading the VLD and the ABLR now.

I just bought an .30 cal hc carbon barrel blank from elk hunter in the classifieds to build a 800 yard light weight hunting rifle. Im not quite sure what caliber I should chamber it in.

I DO NOT RELOAD SO FACTORY AMMO IS A BIG CONSIDERATION

THANKS
RGVT4
As I've mentioned before. 'The .300wm is never the wrong answer. It's definitely the not the wrong answer for your application.

I just bought an .30 cal hc carbon barrel blank from elk hunter in the classifieds to build a 800 yard light weight hunting rifle. Im not quite sure what caliber I should chamber it in.

THANKS
RGVT4

To be literal you bought a 30 CALIBER barrel, so the only option you have is 30 caliber.

If you want to know what CHAMBERING, for a non reloaded, 300WM is the obvious choice with 300WSM or 300 RUM as other options with lesser ammo availability.

To be literal you bought a 30 CALIBER barrel, so the only option you have is 30 caliber.

If you want to know what CHAMBERING, for a non reloaded, 300WM is the obvious choice with 300WSM or 300 RUM as other options with lesser ammo availability.
FINALLY !!! LOL

THANKS
RGVT4
300 Win Mag. You can find factory Ammo almost everywhere.

No better choice than 300 win mag,
You will have access to Hornady Superformance, precision hunter ammo (ELD-X), ABM (Berger), HSM (Berger), etc...

What you didn't say and no one else asked, what are you planning to hunt? If smaller than elk, .308 will do anything you want with low recoil and huge availability of ammo, even more than 300Win. If elk included, moose, black bears, 300 Win is the obvious choice. If you throw in the Big bears (brownies) and some African plains animals, then you could also consider 300 Wby. All three of these, will allow you to find plenty of ammo for them almost everywhere. To someone's point, 300 PRC may have good backing and in 20 years who knows, but for now, I have never seen it on a shelf in any store local to Denver (including Cabelas and Basspro) or any other areas of Colorado, Virginia or Idaho. Best of luck, .30 cal is as good as they come for most stuff.

Another vote for 300wm in your situation. Ammo will be here today tomorrow and 10 yrs from now. Don't overthink it. I have a couple CF barrels now and all I carried this year.

300 WM or 300 WSM , both are great rifles, nothing is as satisfying as reloading and dialing in a rifle to shoot as "you" want it to at any range. Reloading is also cheaper in the long run....

THANKS
RGVT4
Just a thought here about wanting to stay with factory ammo. If you truly want long range accuracy, no sniper uses factory ammo; it's all hand loaded. The exact weight of powder in every round (I'm talking plus or minus one speck of powder) is what gives you consistent FPS which translates to trajectory. My hand loads usually have a 10 FPS max spread with some repeat exact fps vs sometimes 80 fps with premier factory stuff, out of ten shots. At 100 yards the hand loads hit exactly in a horizontal line while the factory stuff printed up and down on the target.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.