WHAT CALIBER???

I have shot my 300-375 Ruger (identical to the 300 PRC, which was not around 4 years ago when I built the gun) for 4 years at 800-1,000 yards and have been impressed with its accuracy for a 21-inch barrelled gun. I wanted a rifle that would deliver significant energy with a short barrel. I much prefer the fast handling of short barrels and do not want to hunt with a barrel over 22 inches.

Long Story Short the 300 PRC will do the job if you do.

wade

The 300prc is going to have an advantage in box fed ammo. If you go to copper creek or some other custom loading house it would open up options. If you throat the 300win mag for big bullets box ammo most likely won't shoot near as well as a sammi reamer. The 300 win mag in a sammi chamber is well behind the 300prc in performance

I said 300 PRC because I also believe it will be well supported by Hornady with factory loads and with the US military behind it now, it is likely the round isn't going anywhere....having said that, it is still an act of faith if you don't roll your own. Midway currently carries only two different loads, both hornady, one in precision hunter and the other a match load.

Last edited:
300wm, you will always be able to buy ammo of some sort for it. I'd suggest 190gr ABLR I think Winchester makes factory ammo using it.

The 300prc may be well supported by Hornady but not necessarily by some little sporting goods shop in Podunk-entry state or country here! 300wm is the most well known magnum cartridges and likely on most sporting goods shops shelves! I know that if I went down to my local sporting goods shop here in Coeur d'Alene, I probably would not find 300prc and probably 5-6 offering in 300wm. Just something to consider!

The 300prc may be well supported by Hornady but not necessarily by some little sporting goods shop in Podunk-entry state or country here! 300wm is the most well known magnum cartridges and likely on most sporting goods shops shelves! I know that if I went down to my local sporting goods shop here in Coeur d'Alene, I probably would not find 300prc and probably 5-6 offering in 300wm. Just something to consider!
Good point...

I just bought an .30 cal hc carbon barrel blank from elk hunter in the classifieds to build a 800 yard light weight hunting rifle. Im not quite sure what caliber I should chamber it in.

I DO NOT RELOAD SO FACTORY AMMO IS A BIG CONSIDERATION

THANKS
RGVT4
Dude you just got 14 pages of info on 30 cals with your post "30 Nos or 300 PRC"
At this point we're just repeating ourselves... Pick one.. Good luck

Dude you just got 14 pages of info on 30 cals with your post "30 Nos or 300 PRC"
At this point we're just repeating ourselves... Pick one.. Good luck

That post was just for info on those two cartridges and what people thought about them specifically. It sounds like the 300wm is going to be the best for my build.

All great suggestions, but I'm thinking the 300WSM offerings are pretty good.
The ballistics and specs are worth checking out.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.