What are the easiest mistakes you learned the most from when reloading?

Don't try to memorize measurements, print off the specs(maybe that's a custom measurement for your gun).
View attachment 117197 New to the sport and reloading. Currently working on building up my reloading bench with all the goodies needed to work. What are some do's and dont's y'all have learned over the years that you like to pass on? Currently reloading for my Bergara B14 HMR chambered in 6.5CM.

Don't load hundreds of rounds of one load. You will likely want to try a different component or two down the road as new bullets, powders become available, but all your brass is loaded with something that doesn't perform like the newer components.

I don't want to be a downer, but everywhere I have hunted and every range where I have shot have always had strict no alcohol policies before or during shooting. I think that should apply to the reloading bench. You don't need anything to help you make a mistake, at least I don't. After the loading, shooting, hunting, etc is done, put the toys away and drink responsibly.

I don't want to be a downer, but everywhere I have hunted and every range where I have shot have always had strict no alcohol policies before or during shooting. I think that should apply to the reloading bench. You don't need anything to help you make a mistake, at least I don't. After the loading, shooting, hunting, etc is done, put the toys away and drink responsibly.
I would hunt somewhere else, and find a new range! That is blasphemy

Yeah, where I grew up they served beer at the bar while you were waiting your turn up at the trap house. It's that way at a lot of clubs in our area. But then again I live in the number one binge drinking state.

No-one is talking about getting Drunk and wreckless.
P.S. Guns are not toys.

New Mexico? Lol
Nope, Home of Bourbon Whiskey! Maybe that's why we have these rules. LOL
I've shot pistol, rifle, 30-gun, sporting clays all over the country and hunted in a few other states and countries. Same rules apply. On my own land, a nip of bourbon keeps you warm!

ND & WI seem to flip back and forth.
KY & NM ain't even in the top ten

20171219_Binge_Drinking.jpg

In Colorado, are you allowed to smoke pot on the range? Just curious? A lot of that is grown here too.
We would never inhale though ;)

A few of my mistakes:

Accidently trimming a bunch of my brass to short.
Forgetting what I had previously loaded in my box and couldn't figure it out with my crappy notes.
Mixing up brass and not realizing which had been fired how many times.
Not recording all relevant data on my targets (pictures with no data don't help)

Now, all brass gets it's own little baggie with a slip of paper and all relevant data. All load data gets recorded at the time of load with any additional notes. If not, you will forget things. As others have said, only keep one powder and one of all the other things you are using. Get the best equipment you can afford. I bought cheap, had too, but upgraded over the years as I could. Just keep picking up all the extra tools, practicing, and reading all the info these experts (not including me) continue to share.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.