What are the easiest mistakes you learned the most from when reloading?

NBShooter

E17A1818-1096-4623-B86F-548460A18E25.jpeg
New to the sport and reloading. Currently working on building up my reloading bench with all the goodies needed to work. What are some do's and dont's y'all have learned over the years that you like to pass on? Currently reloading for my Bergara B14 HMR chambered in 6.5CM.

No real revelations here and seems obvious but....don't forget to add primers before filling with powder.lol That one has bit me a couple times.
If you can swing it, buy better equipment at the start vs. dipping your toe in the water with cheap gear and then inevitably getting better quality stuff down the road and spending much more than you otherwise would have.
Something I wish I would have told myself when starting out - pick a bullet you want to shoot and stick with that one bullet and build loads around that vs. getting several boxes of different bullets, weights, powders, primers and then drive yourself crazy trying to work up a million different loads. Pick one or two and limit the variables.

Last edited:
My error, that was found with a blown primer, is the placement of the crimp on a bullet cannelure. If too close to the front or rear edge of the groove, it can cause a high pressure condition very easily.

+1 on the primers. Only takes a second to look. I swear my press likes to screw with me that way. Don't touch the lands for a hunting load. Dumping powder in your chamber can ruin a hunt or day at the range.
Read all you can and even more on your specific loads/calibers.
Always be cautious and have fun.

Tell wife mother father child that for the next 2-3 hours your are going to be reloading and that the door is locked for a reason and unless the house is on fire..the wolf is at the door or someone is bleeding out like a stuck pig....don't come asking question or otherwise disturbing you...

Good way to make mistakes...

I have found if I deviate from my reloading sequence I forget steps. Once you get a good system, stick to it. I like to keep my brass sorted by the amount of firings and if I am in a hurry or whatever that it gets confusing quick to try to figure out which brass has 1, 2 or more firings. I try to keep it all the same but it doesn't always work out. Reloading is one of those things it takes experience rather than reading a book. Lots can be learned by hearing or seeing but some definatly has to be learned by doing. That might mean screwing up once in a while. But at first work through an entire step in your process before moving in to the next. Good luck.

I do primer seating on a dedicated press, but then I do all my loading by hand no progressive or multi turret design press...just the way I was instructed and less chance of having to tear down if I have an senior's moment :)

Log books and notes to one self if you have to leave mid way thru something...have had to pack and leave and was gone for several weeks and came back to a half finished load session..was easy to pick up where I left off.

Sorry for multiples duplicate post...apparently the internet gremlins are running rampant at my end

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done these and still do. Missing primes and missing powder. I went to Idaho 2 years ago only to find out of the 40 that I took I could only use 15 because the other 25 were missing primers and or powder. I was rushing the night before I left and it showed

My largest mistake reloading would have to be confidence before testing. Don't load a bunch of ammo assuming it will be accurate, in fact never assume anything when reloading. Always use caution and follow the books, work your way up, not down from someone on the internet who claimed it was a "safe hot load". If accuracy is the goal, work up a few different loads and go validate their potential on paper before making 100+ rounds. Ask me how I know haha, the bullet puller used to be a good friend of mine. All that being said, your HMR is a GREAT rifle and will really like stuff in the 140gr range, particularly the 143gr ELD-x for a hunting load.

Write everything down.
Even in the loads you have made.
Life and work sometimes gets in the way and you forget what you loaded and for what.
Cuz you will find them weeks or months later, you will try to recall what it was & for.

Putting the info on the Brass with a sharpie is a big plus.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.