What 7mm magnum cartridge to build?

Try the PVA Back Country or, Jet Blast, Brakes AS they've figured Out, How to DIVERT "some" of, the Horrible Muzzle "Blast", AWAY from, the Shooter !
We have 4 of them, on Our Hunting Rifles in, 6.5 Creed, 6.5 mm & 7mm PRC and a .270 WSM and they Work,.. "Well" !
My 14 y/o grandson, is shooting My .270 WSM w/ 140's @ 3,175 FPS with,. NO issues !
We Practice shoot for Several Hours, without muzzle Blast, issues.
Thank you. I'll take a look. My issue is a titanium plate in my neck and double digit concussions from football, wrecks, and what have you back when I thought I was tougher. I basically just shoot 308 and 6.5-06 in heavy bolt guns, 14 pounds all in, and that works for what I do. Most of my hunting is with an unbraked Grendel AR or unbraked 6.5 creed in AR 10 in a depredation role with thermal. For long range daytime depredation out to 1000 I use the 6.5-06. But I've been toying around with the idea of a 300 win, 7mm practical, or 7mm-300win. A brake if tolerable would be nice there.

Thank you. I'll take a look. My issue is a titanium plate in my neck and double digit concussions from football, wrecks, and what have you back when I thought I was tougher. I basically just shoot 308 and 6.5-06 in heavy bolt guns, 14 pounds all in, and that works for what I do. Most of my hunting is with an unbraked Grendel AR or unbraked 6.5 creed in AR 10 in a depredation role with thermal. For long range daytime depredation out to 1000 I use the 6.5-06. But I've been toying around with the idea of a 300 win, 7mm practical, or 7mm-300win. A brake if tolerable would be nice there.
Look into 6.5x300 weatherby. I put a TiPro4 on it and recoil is basically non existent

@ Turpentine,..
A Good Brake, on your, 6.5-06 or 6.5 Creedmoor with, Handloaded, 147 grain ELD-M's will,.. "Reach Out", a very Long ways, on Deer / Antelope sized Game without, the Recoil and Muzzle Blast that, the Cartridges you listed on the bottom line of your Post, produce ( .300 win mag, etc ).

My 14 y/o grandson, shoots the Sub 8 lb, L-H Tikka, in .270 WSM ( 140's going 3,175 FPS ) that, I gave him with, very little recoil or, Blast "issues".
He shot, a Nice Buck Antelope ( Draw Tag ) out on the Desert, East of Boise last Night at, 255 yards, with it.
He easily shoots, 20+ Full Power rounds, thru the .270 WSM at, Steel Practice.

10;4. Muzzle blast from most brakes is just too much for me. I start getting concussion symptoms. A Gentry or similar brake is about all I can handle.
I have been using muzzle devices since 2003, and Gentry and Vais are the worst MBs I have ever used/owned. They came with rifles I purchased for the action, and I could not get rid of them fast enough. Unfortunately, I still have one. Again, it came with the rifle, and I could not resist the sale price.
1728737165261.jpeg

Both recommended PVA MBs have angled ports pointed toward the shooter, making them effective. However, because of your sensitivity to concussions, they might not work for you. I have a Jet Blast in .30 cal 5/8-24 that I can send you if you want to try it before purchasing.

A suppressor is pricier, but it is the best solution. If you want to stick with MBs, I recommend looking for 90-degree side ports (https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.3_tre.php?menu_select=compstd). There are also MBs with angled ports, but the closest to the shooter is 90 degrees (https://www.piercisionrifles.com/brakes/). Some also have vent holes at the muzzle to help direct the blast away from the shooter (http://www.benchmark-barrels.com/Benchmark_Barrels_-_Muzzle_Brakes.html). And yes, I have all the MBs above, and they work as advertised. Good luck!

The FIRST Port, near the muzzle, is NOT angled the same ( towards the Shooter ) as the 2 forward ports on the PVA Brake.
The First port, Blows the Gases Outward at a DIFFERENT Angle and IS, pushing the front 2 Blasts,.. AWAY from, the Shooter !
They are VERY Pleasant to Use ! We have, 4 of them. The "Back Country" Brake,. is Designed for Hunters.
Patriot Valley Arms is a "Top Notch" group of L R Shooters that Do, Excellent work and their Brakes are, a Well "thought out" design,. IMO.

Last edited:
Look into 6.5x300 weatherby. I put a TiPro4 on it and recoil is basically non existent
Thanks. I do like the 6.5 caliber with the 147 grain bullet. The 6.5 x 300 Weatherby is a smoking caliber for sure. Barrel life in that caliber would worry me some. I have a friend that has one. I also prefer rifles that are old standby's in the brass department. Cartridges that use 308, 30-06, or 300 win mag brass for example. I hate chasing down premium or unicorn brass.
@ Turpentine,..
A Good Brake, on your, 6.5-06 or 6.5 Creedmoor with, Handloaded, 147 grain ELD-M's will,.. "Reach Out", a very Long ways, on Deer / Antelope sized Game without, the Recoil and Muzzle Blast that, the Cartridges you listed on the bottom line of your Post, produce ( .300 win mag, etc ).
Yes sir, that's what I built the 6.5-06 for. It's heavy, but I don,t carry my rifles far at all and I like heavy barrels. Its recoil is non existent. My longest kill this year with it was a doe at 895 yards. 12 more were killed between 500-680 yards.

I don't have anything right now I would even consider putting a brake on. If I were to build a 7/300 or the like then I would look at a brake or suppressor but that project is quite a ways off. However, I do appreciate all the info about brakes as it will definitely weigh into any decision I make.

I am considering a suppressor for the 6.5 Creed and 6.5 Grendel because so many of the fields I have to shoot at night have houses nearby. I don't want to be waking people up. I stop shooting at 11:00. Generally in an area like that I will go to the houses beforehand and let them know when I will be there and what I'm doing. I'll also let them know they are welcome to any meat from the deer I take out. The suppressor helps in this scenario.

I am not here to argue or convince anyone that the ports on the PVA MBs are angled or not, but you can be the judge.
View attachment 608601
View attachment 608602
View attachment 608603View attachment 608604
The Back Country's, Rear Port IS, angled Differently than, the Older Model,. "Jet Blasts".
Might try calling PVA for the New Correct Info as My 6.5 Creedmoor Brake's FIRST Port looks Like, it's almost,. 90 Degrees to the the Bore !
They Made it, a "Point" to Protect the Shooter/ Hunter from,.. "Blast" on, the New Model, "Back Country".
Nice Photo's and good illustration of your point,.. on the Jet Blast !

Last edited:
The Back Country's, Rear Port,.. is angled Differently than, the Older Model,. "Jet Blasts".
Might try calling PVA for the New Correct Info as My 6.5 Creedmoor Brake's FIRST Port looks Like, it's almost,. 90 Degrees to the the Bore !
They Made it, a "Point" to Protect the Shooter/ Hunter from,.. "Blast" on, the New Model Back Country.
Nice Photo's and good illustration of your point,.. on the Jet Blast !
My original point in #63 was that the ports are angled, which adds effectiveness. It has been a while, but I spoke to Josh about their muzzle brakes. Their Mad Scientist MB has a flat baffle, but he found out the angled ports work better.

Both recommended PVA MBs have angled ports pointed toward the shooter, making them effective. However, because of your sensitivity to concussions, they might not work for you. I have a Jet Blast in .30 cal 5/8-24 that I can send you if you want to try it before purchasing.
I do not have a problem with either MB, but @Turpentine21's sensitivity to concussion is the concern.