What’s your favorite big game hunt ?

Savage 110, 30-06, with a Leupold vari x III scope. I've killed in the neighborhood of a combined 60 antelope, deer, and elk with it.

My favorite hunt back when I was working, Was we flew 90 miles into northern Ontario,
No phones, no radio, no people, Just me and my brother our food and gear on a DIY moose hunt. Done our own calling, Had to get moose back to camp for fly out. There in the rut. If you busted your butt on the boat dock, get out and hunt. If not, Go back to bed and go fishing. It takes frost to get the rutt in full sling.
The outfitter has went out of business now and retired.

Pure fun? Archery antelope or javelina in Arizona. Non stop action with the speed goats and easy to stalk stink pigs!

For the money, Africa

Number 1 - For what was a pure adventure at the time, a drop camp caribou hunt in northern Quebec in about 2002. It was not a fish-in-a-barrel migration hunt and we had to cover a tremendous amount of ground on foot each day to even find caribou. The weather sucked every day and I think I probably came as close to hypothermia as I ever have while dressing a bull in the rain in about 36 degree temperature. I killed two really good bulls on that trip, one in full velvet and one rubbed out. Extremely gratifying hunt that I would like to do again.

Number 2 - Horseback elk hunt in WY. I've done this hunt many times and never grow tired of it.

Dirty Steve

Archery Mule Deer spot and stalk, drop camp setup with an outfitter in Colorado's White River National Forest or private land in northwest Colorado. Probably to the fact that on the very first hunt that I went on back in 1988, I shot a beautiful 4x4 at fifteen yards. I have been hooked ever since. By far my most favorite hunts. Getting close to a mule deer is indescribable.

My favorite big game hunt is spot and stalk in my deepfreeze. I can hunt every day if I want. Between looking forward to the meal to come, and back on memories of the harvest...

Honestly, these days I enjoy scouting more than the hunting itself. New areas, exploration, solitude. I know I'm in the minority here, but a well planned and executed hunt is a lot like work. Enjoyment has more to do with the company than the quarry for me.

That being said, nothing gets my blood pumping like a big bull elk.

archery elk,then high mtn muley

Attachments

• muley hog.jpg
    muley hog.jpg
    809.1 KB · Views: 155
Moose for sure! We moose hunt almost every year, self guided hunt, so challenging, area we hunt/own a cabin in is population 7, no cell service for 2.5 hours, no hospital for 4 no beer, grocery or gas for 2.5 hrs! We have no land line no tv. It's nice to get away just you and the hunt crew chasing moose through northern Ontario bush. I love whitetail and bear but my second favorite hunt was definately Montana elk hunt and can't wait to do it again.

I've hunted elk in western Colorado for 45 years and still start looking forward to the next season the day after this one ends. My favorite are the back country hunts. Horse back hunts and backpack hunts are great, but a lot of work anymore. Lately I've had private access to some fantastic high country through the ranch I manage. The only other hunts I enjoyed as much or more were a Dall sheep hunt I worked as a packer in Alaska, and my own mountain goat hunt here in CO. I just love prowling the high country, hunting spot and stalk, in wild places where there are few, or preferably no other hunters to be found. And I mostly hunt alone.

I've hunted elk in western Colorado for 45 years and still start looking forward to the next season the day after this one ends. My favorite are the back country hunts. Horse back hunts and backpack hunts are great, but a lot of work anymore. Lately I've had private access to some fantastic high country through the ranch I manage. The only other hunts I enjoyed as much or more were a Dall sheep hunt I worked as a packer in Alaska, and my own mountain goat hunt here in CO. I just love prowling the high country, hunting spot and stalk, in wild places where there are few, or preferably no other hunters to be found. And I mostly hunt alone.
My buddy and I talk probably every week about our next (almost yearly) trip to hunt elk up there. The trip there is about 20 hours of non stop jabbering excitement, the ride home is a somber quiet vacuum of time that seems to take a eternity. You live the life that others dream of.

I always wanted to hunt dangerous game, in exotic places for the adrenaline rush and the personal challenge.....these never happened. However, realities often alter our dreams. In a life of hunting, I've experienced my first deer kill at age 11 with my elderly grandfather (who in his late 80's, never killed a deer) and, as a very young kid, the hunts shared with uncles, that are no longer around, for mixed bag hunts of squirrels, rabbits, ducks, deer....whatever we encountered. My first trip to the Rockies (Colorado Mule Deer hunt) with my dad's brother, that I really didn't get to know until I was in my 30's. My first Wyoming bear hunt, over bait....observing through tracks his nocturnal visits to my bait. And then, the late evening visit, when after years of hunting experience....I became a "quivering" piece of jello. The first shot attempt.....with safety on! That was like having cold water thrown on me.....instant calm, followed by perfect shot placement. My first Wyoming moose, wanting a Boone and Crockett moose. Almost 3 weeks of strenuous hunting, passing on many smaller bulls....before finding the one. Observed him twice at fairly close range from the left side, once at extreme distance.....proving he was very wide. The shot opportunity came, close range, again only seeing the left. Once down, my 49+" Shiras Moose had deformities on the left side.....still a trophy, but no Boone and Crockett. Being with my wife on her first sheep hunt, a hunt that she never thought about about taking. her trials, and tribulations, culminating in a sheep that "dwarfs" mine"! And, my personal DIY sheep hunt in some of Wyoming's most beautiful country, only to take a sheep that I'm embarrassed to show!

These are but a few of the memories of hunts, some great memories that will never be forgotten or replaced....some that leave lingering disappointments. However, I wouldn't change these experiences for anything. Though if that Alaskan or African hunt were to become a reality, it will be added to the list.....good or bad!

For me, it's not just one hunt, but a lifetime of hunts......successes, failures, memories of those I shared them with, and the dream of the next hunt! memtb

Last edited:
For me, the Coues Whitetail hunt, the Gray Ghost is always a fun and exciting challenge. Some hunts you have to glass and on some you just have to walk, mostly walking 4 to 8 miles a day until you see them or spooke them. I've found them to be the hardest hunt to harvest here in Arizona. When I lived in Mexico it was easy, there are tons of deer there and some huge bucks that I am yet to find here in AZ.

Best regards

LVJ76

There are areas where you can sit up high and glass but not many, mostly small hills so you have to go from one to the next and be very quiet while you walk.

We know the areas we hunt pretty well and look forward to them every time. It is always a fun challenge that we anxiously plan and wait for.

Recent Posts