What’s your favorite big game hunt ?

I've done a few different outfitted hunts for elk and have one planned for caribou and moose in canada next fall. I've also spent basically my whole adult lift chasing big whitetails with a bow and arrow in wisconsin. If i could only do one I think I'd stay with the whitetails but the experience of hunting off horseback in CO for elk was one I am definitely planning to do again. The peacefulness you get being miles back in from the nearest access point for motor vehicles is as close to sportsmans heaven as ive found.

My favorite is Mule deer. I have a high country hunt booked and hopefully I will draw that tag next year. Now that I am retired I have my bucket list that I hope to start picking off.

Thermal hog hunting. It's a thrill to own the night. Cost effective. No limit. Hunt any time of year. Everyone should be lucky enough to be blessed with an outstanding thermal hog hunt. However, do not go if it is go out and sit in a blind. You should take advantage of the thermal. Drive or walk a large ranch and observe and enjoy all the creatures of the night.

Last edited:
As silly as it sounds, I really enjoy jack rabbit hunting with an AR or a .22. Night or day, it is fun for their own reasons. Its something you can do at any time and dont need anything special to do.

But to be realistic, since wabbits arent big game, I am all about Utah elk

Last edited:
345F9886-CC3C-4494-9D4B-64F6FB4C041E.png
Mule deer

Culling and trophy hunting water buffalo in the NT. Feral culling. Deer culling at the opposite end of the country. Cape buffalo and elephant in Zim and Mozambique.

Bow hunting for elk in the mountains of Wyoming on horseback. A friend of mine had a guide service there but was retired. He still had all of his horses and gear. We saw elk but never was able to get a big bull in close enough to shoot with a bow. But camping and seeing the beautiful scenery as well as a grizzly bear and other wildlife was fantastic. I am from south Louisiana so it was the trip of a lifetime for me. I bought a video camera just for this trip and filmed a lot of the time while there. I have been back up there twice since then and we hunted antelope on those two occasions. Once with rifles and once with archery equipment. I love it there.