Virtual 20 MOA 100 yard zero

thesheepdog

Hi all,

Has anyone tried zeroing with a simulated 20 MOA angle on their scopes? In other words, you use your MOA/MIL reticle above the center crosshair as your point of aim, then dial the turrets to change the POI?

Benefits would be you could use a flat scope base.

I’ve used 20-30 MOA bases all my life on my rifles and got to thinking for my Tikka 6.5 PRC, maybe I don’t need one and can just use my top reticle as the zero POA instead of the center crosshairs, therefore achieving greater mechanical travel in the scope.

Thoughts?

Hi all,

Has anyone tried zeroing with a simulated 20 MOA angle on their scopes? In other words, you use your MOA/MIL reticle above the center crosshair as your point of aim, then dial the turrets to change the POI?

Benefits would be you could use a flat scope base.

I’ve used 20-30 MOA bases all my life on my rifles and got to thinking for my Tikka 6.5 PRC, maybe I don’t need one and can just use my top reticle as the zero POA instead of the center crosshairs, therefore achieving greater mechanical travel in the scope.

Thoughts?
I prefer the actual over the simulated.

I’m assuming you’ve tried the method I mentioned? Simulated meaning you aren’t using a 20 MOA base, you’re just changing your POA on the reticle and zeroing there…
Yes, I have! With or without a cant, I prefer the actual over the simulated/calculated (ballistic apps). I want the actual POI, not the simulated/calculated, so I can adjust accordingly.

Yes, I have! With or without a cant, I prefer the actual over the simulated/calculated (ballistic apps). I want the actual POI, not the simulated/calculated, so I can adjust accordingly.
I’m glad I’m not the first to think of this. I may give it a try on my Tikka with a flat mount. Would be cool if scope reticles had 20 MOA or 30 MOA zero crosshairs on the top substension to give you a more intuitive interface for achieving this, but you gotta work with what you have.

I’m glad I’m not the first to think of this. I may give it a try on my Tikka with a flat mount. Would be cool if scope reticles had 20 MOA or 30 MOA zero crosshairs on the top substension to give you a more intuitive interface for achieving this, but you gotta work with what you have.
This is the closest I have seen thus far to what you are referring to, but it has been a while since I explored it.

1719680078061.png

https://www.hollandguns.com/AdvancedReticleTechnology.html

Is this just a thought for discussion? Or are you planning on doing this?

View away from center starts to get distorted. If you try 20MOA above center for your 100 yard zero, that means your center is a 700-900 yard zero. That can induce a lot of error with even a tiny amount of cant. Unless you are shooting KOTM and need 40MOA of holdover after you dial as much as possible.

If you dial for elevation, this adds no value. If you hold for elevation, you usually have 20MOA of subtension below center anyway. Again, adds no value. If you want to hold 40MOA @ 1100-1400 yards, maybe? But does anyone really hold 40 MOA @ 1100+?

Here’s an illustration:
The circled substension is your aiming point at 100 yards, so you’ll have to crank the elevation turret 20 MOA to change the POI, which would give you that extra 20 MOA in adjustment for shooting longer distances (1500+).

Do you need to do this for a 6.5 PRC at 1100 yards on a 34mm tube? No. But this is more for theory if I wanted to stretch it out farther (out to a mile for example) and don’t have the 20 MOA base.

I’ve shot out to 1500-1800 yards frequently with 20-30 MOA bases.

Attachments

• IMG_4457.jpeg
    IMG_4457.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 7
What is currently on the rifle?

@lancetkenyon and @FEENIX gave you the pertinent information and they are not one to pass along erroneous information.

The cant error alone would dissuade me rather quickly and from their responses, it seems this had been tried or suggested by someone and the error was to great to overcome.

I would think that the further from center your zero is, the easier it would be to induce cant.

What is currently on the rifle?

@lancetkenyon and @FEENIX gave you the pertinent information and they are not one to pass along erroneous information.

The cant error alone would dissuade me rather quickly and from their responses, it seems this had been tried or suggested by someone and the error was to great to overcome.

I would think that the further from center your zero is, the easier it would be to induce cant.

Why would the cant of 20 MOA of reticle be anymore error than 20 MOA of cant from a base?

You’re achieving the same result…just one uses a canted base and the other uses the reticle to simulate your base being canted.

Why would the cant of 20 MOA of reticle be anymore error than 20 MOA of cant from a base?

You’re achieving the same result…just one uses a canted base and the other uses the reticle to simulate your base being canted.
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are suggesting?

I took it that you are suggesting to zero at 100 on a subtension 20MOA above center?

Not inclination cant, side to side can't.

The further you get your scope centerline, whether real or false from bore centerline, the more apt the chances of inducing cant become.

Before you post the MDT video, I don't care, you adding the factor of leverage or cam over which is real.