Updated info in post#99 Preferred Barrel 6mm Creedmoor help

At some point you gotta cut losses. It's not worth the headache or components. Even if you did find a load that would work for this barrel it would probably be finicky as heck. I think I'd pull the barrel and move on.

I went through this with a barrel. I was much happier when I just pulled it and put on a new one.
Gonna try a powder change to H4831 then do a primer change… but I've never had a primer change my grouping that much

Last edited:
I have not read all of the comments, however, this is my advice and it comes from talking with Berger team four years ago. They suggested start working on seating depth first with the minimum powder charge for the bullet you are using. They recommended there seating depth testing that can be found on there website. Once you find the seating depth that works the best, then start working on powder charges with the seating depth you found for that particular bullet. Increments should be small, like half a grain until you find the one that provides best group and ES/SD. I did this for a Bergara 7mm Rem Mag back then and it worked as described without having to chase your tail. Good luck.

Understood, and appreciate the info.
I have developed thousands of really good loads by doing powder charge first and then change seating depth. But sometimes you just get a bad barrel just like sometimes you get a hummer.
Sometimes my process if I'm fire forming brass to an Ackley improved for example I'll play with seating depth first because I'm just mostly breaking in the Brass and then I do powder charge. But other than that, I have good luck doing powder charge first.
I've moved this bullet from more or less 10thou off the lands to 100 thou short of the lands and I did that in roughly 10 thou increments… Still nothing with four different bullets. Testing h4831 right now.

I have developed thousands of really good loads by doing powder charge first and then change seating depth. But sometimes you just get a bad barrel just like sometimes you get a hummer.
Sometimes my process if I'm fire forming brass to an Ackley improved for example I'll play with seating depth first because I'm just mostly breaking in the Brass and then I do powder charge. But other than that, I have good luck doing powder charge first.
I've moved this bullet from more or less 10thou off the lands to 100 thou short of the lands and I did that in roughly 10 thou increments… Still nothing with four different bullets. Testing h4831 right now.
Bummer. Sounds like a bad tube.

I would look at some Factory ammo, 108ELDM to see how it performs.

Update!
Tested H4831sc…good improvement, but low on velocity . Not at pressure so moving up into slightly compressed territory.
.200 datum line was .0015 larger at 44g
Lower row first shot…didn't adj scope and cold bore,

Attachments

• IMG_6057.jpeg
    IMG_6057.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6061.jpeg
    IMG_6061.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 87
2976 looks really good. Hope it's repeatable.
I redid that load right below it…no luck
Going to try a higher end of powder charge, but still keep the 2.74 COAL

Retesting H4831 going up to 45.5 grains

Last edited:
Barrel clean?
I cleannit good, especially when I switch to a new powder or new bullet. But none of these were ISSO clean , back down with bare metal, just using Bortech when I use my bore scope, there's hardly any copper no carbon, no carbon ring.

I'm gonna test H4350 tomorrow with a COAL of 2.750 From 41.7-43g

Attachments

• IMG_6062.jpeg
    IMG_6062.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 47
Not sure if you have the equipment to do it, but have you looked at various neck tension to see if that is your problem?
Yes, i have went from .004 neck interference fit to .0015 using a mandrel and graphite (powder and liquid ) in the neck