Updated info in post#99 Preferred Barrel 6mm Creedmoor help

I think you'll find something good once stepping away from Lands and grooves with same amounts of powder. If you can't get those bullets to shoot, switch to 101Gr hammers with the H4350 and he'll be hooked on them.

Agree with increasing the jump. A good load can most likely be found quite a ways from the lands that won't be finicky.
Also try shooting without the barrel cooler. Many folks have reported poor results using them.

6MM Creed—- Need some help with this barrel. This is a Preferred Barrel blanks barrel. I'm using short action Customs modular dies , Nexus press/Co-Ax, mandrel for a 2.5thou neck interference fit, Alpha virgin brass, CPS at 5thou crush, CCI450, H4350, V4 pwdr dispenser, 103gELDX, Defiance Classic in bedded McMillian , (I have put it in a chassis, and it shoots the same) weather: 75d, humidity85%, 2-5mph wind. Group was shot and then I used an air cooler to cool the barrel to where it is just warm to the touch. It is a .810 diameter barrel w/ a 7.5tw. SRS 3 port brake. Breathing was good and I had a good trigger press except for 2 or 3 shots. 12pwr SS scope. I've checked the scope screws, muzzle brake, action screws, and all our tight. Shooting off a rest. Any help to tightened up the groups is appreciated.

I am thinking about changing the bullet first. But the guy who has this Rifle really wanted to use the 103 ELDX
Also, I'm thinking about switching powders to superperformance or RL 17/19
100Rds
Slightly heavy bolt lift at 43.3

First pic with a COAL of 2.795
Bottom row is 41/41.5/42g
I had the same issue shooting 4350 in my 6 creed I went to 4831sc and problem solved. David

Don't be afraid to try longer jumping. Mark Gordon at Short Action Customs did some experiments jumping the bullet in 0.005" steps and would find lengths that would reduce group size and would be less sensitive to seating depth change.

Ryan Furman recommends the following approach to OCW development. He comes up with a "rough" setting for charge weight then tests for a best seating depth and finally does a more in depth charge weight investigation.

Last edited:
Don't be afraid to try longer jumping. Mark Gordan at Short Action Customs did some experiments jumping the bullet in 0.005" steps and would find lengths that would reduce group size and would be less sensitive to seating depth change.

I'm jumping 108 eld-m's .071" and getting very good precision. I was inspired by the article in the PRB. I got tired of having a wonderfully precise load go to crap because the lands eroded. They still erode, but it just doesn't show up down range anymore. I set back .010" at a time and then fine tuned.
With 105 Barnes match burners I went straight to the same set back and it shoots very well there too. My last word is to not place too much emphasis on 100yd groups. Shoot at distance. Mark Gordan did his research at 600 yards.
Oh…try again without the barrel cooler.

Lately I've been doing seating depth first and fine tuning with powder charge.
It's been a pleasant surprise and usually find a load much quicker.
I start with a middle of the road charge, and seating as long as possible and work back in .015-.020 increments. After finding what depth it likes I bump up powder charges until I hit pressure, back it down a bit and basically done. I'll tinker a bit with the seating depth after this but usually it's a pretty wide window that works well.

What was your powder charge and bullet?
I was thinking H4831 would be too slow
In my 6 creed I'm running 44.3 grains of 4831 with a 105 Berger running 3060 I have two creed moors and I tried 4 different powders in each one and 4831 out preformed the rest each time my 22 creed I'm running 42.5 grains with an 85.5 Berger both loads are middle of the road loads do to their accuracy both loads are very accurate the 22 is running 3370 you could push it harder but might start losing jackets down range. David

In my 6 creed I'm running 44.3 grains of 4831 with a 105 Berger running 3060 I have two creed moors and I tried 4 different powders in each one and 4831 out preformed the rest each time my 22 creed I'm running 42.5 grains with an 85.5 Berger both loads are middle of the road loads do to their accuracy both loads are very accurate the 22 is running 3370 you could push it harder but might start losing jackets down range. David
Great info, I wouldn't have thought to use 4831. Is this a 24 inch barrel you have?