Typical Range day setup. Pictures please!

d_wit22

So my current local gun range is having issues with their sand bags disappearing or being destroyed…I've always just shot with them and been accurate. I'm thinking I should buy my own, that way I know I will always have a good set when I go shoot.
What do you guys use for front and rear rests while on a bench? Didn't really like the lead sled feel. I was looking for something more to just have the rifle nest into. Throw out what works for you! Thanks in advance

Front, Atlas bipod and a quality rear leather bag. A heavy one.

I want one of these wide ones but haven't plunged yet. It's rock solid

Attachments

• IMG_8171.jpeg
    IMG_8171.jpeg
    492 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8169.jpeg
    IMG_8169.jpeg
    541.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
About 30 or 40 years ago, I made my bags from blue jean legs……stitch across one end, fill bag with sand, stitch closed.

I don't shot nearly as much as many of you, but with a little care mine have lasted quite well.

I use an "elcheapo" adjustable front rest, and leather "rabbit ear" type rear. I put bags beneath the rear "rabbit ear" bag as needed for proper height. For rear height "fine tuning" I merely pinch the sand bag for height increase or nestle the rifle a bit deeper into the bag to lower.

If it's already perfectly clear……this is the "poor boy - red neck" setup! 😉 But, it seems to work for me!

Addendum: I also use a volley ball elbow pad on the bench arm, I found out the hard way that after a few shots…..a lot of skin was left on the bench after firing a few rounds. The burning pain is rather distracting! 😜 memtb

Lots of good info here. I run a good front rest and a good heavy bag on the rear. I have made due with a 50 pound bag of shelled corn on the front lol. Actually worked well!