Trying to decide on caliber

Any .284 is always a solid choice!

I primarily hunt with a 280 Rem. I have had it for 15 years or so. If I jumped into it today I would probably go with 280 AI since there is more off the shelf availability. (Off the shelf is relative these days).

Quite honestly, if I were to jump into a new caliber today, I would see what is on the shelf and match the rifle to what I could get. If I was a reloader I would look for brass stock also. I am set for awhile in 280 Rem, but the brass is becoming more difficult to come by. If it ever got down to it, I would consider rechambering, but no need in the near future.

There are so many calibers that are sufficient for North American game, it almost becomes a Ford vs. Chevy type argument IMO.

Unless you just want a new rifle ( which we all of us do no matter how many we have); I would concentrate on developing an accurate load for your 6.5 PRC. With Berger 156 EOL's and RL26, H1000 and others you can get velocities of 2900+ ft/sec. That equates to 2100ft/sec and 1500 ft/lbs of energy at 650 yds which is fine for elk. Practice with what you develop since shot placement is maybe more important than caliber size. My 300 wby mag will do the job but not as fun to shoot as my 6.5 PRC.

That's funny I actually enjoy shooting my 300 Weatherby way more than my 6.5 PRC. I just like the sound of it. And the 180 grain bullet going 3200 fps is pretty cool on steel. But I also don't notice recoil so I'm sure I'm in the minority. My Wby is a 26" bbl Mark V sporter barrel, no brake. Definitely see CTE like an NFL player in my future ha ha

Haven't decided yet. But probably the 300wsm

That would be a good choice for sure!

Now for the question of the day, when and where is your elk hunt? State, on your own or guided?

And keep in mind that your 6.5 PRC is a heck of a elk round as it is!

That's funny I actually enjoy shooting my 300 Weatherby way more than my 6.5 PRC. I just like the sound of it. And the 180 grain bullet going 3200 fps is pretty cool on steel. But I also don't notice recoil so I'm sure I'm in the minority. My Wby is a 26" bbl Mark V sporter barrel, no brake. Definitely see CTE like an NFL player in my future ha ha
I have a 300wby accumark 26" barrel and shoots great but now at 71 I like carrying and shooting my lighter mountain 6.5 PRC when tripping around mountains meadows at 8000 ft. Getting old ain't for sissies LOL

I started out with a 284 win and then a 300 WSM and now a 280 AI. The 284 Win took my first elk a 6x6 bull. The behind the shoulder hit caused the bull to lose blood from both sides. Then I lost a cow to a marginal hit from the 284 that probably wouldn't have been lost from the same hit from a 300 WSM with a super premium bullet. The next 6 elk dropped on the spot with the 300 but shot placement was very good on those animals and probably a 243 would have killed them all. This past year I started using a 280 AI - largely because bullet designs have improved so much that their performance is much like the 300 was 15 years ago. Also, the complete rifle is slightly lighter and the package handles superbly. The last two cows were taken with the 280 AI and both dropped on the spot. .284 bullet designs are what convinced me to go back down in caliber - the 300 is just not needed anymore and the velocities I'm getting with the 280 AI are awesome.

How does it shoot? Been lookin at those.
It's been shooting great for my needs as an elk hunter. It shoots sub MOA with the Hornady factory ammo. I've been practicing and am hitting steel out to 1000yrds. I think its a good gun for half the cost of a custom, minimal recoil with the break, and more than adequate for cross canyon elk shots.

If you are buying a rifle and it's primary purpose is elk, then go with a 30 cal or even 8mm or 338. It's not that a 7mm is wrong but you have identified this rifle as specifically an elk rifle so no need to go on the small side.

If you are buying a rifle and it's primary purpose is elk, then go with a 30 cal or even 8mm or 338. It's not that a 7mm is wrong but you have identified this rifle as specifically an elk rifle so no need to go on the small side.
8mm just to be different haha. Bullet selection sucks but not everyone on the block has one