Trying to decide on caliber

How do you rank factors for factory vs custom rifle, long vs short action, overall weight, bullet choices, factory ammo availability etc?

That will help drive this decision.

What range are you also looking at as a max? I'm currently looking at a 280ai but not looking at shots much past 500yds for elk even if its capable of further. If you want the speed and range similar to the 6.5prc with just a step up to a heavier bullet, I would go with a 28 nosler, 300wm, or 300prc

Both, the 7 mm SAUM and .300 WSM are, great choices,.
Elk won't walk away from either IF, Hit "right' with, the RIGHT, Bullet.
Doubt IF, I'd ever, burn out my .270 WSM barrel on,.. Deer, Elk, Moose, but, if I ever did,.. I'd go with the 7 SAUM in, a heart beat !
Personal Feeling is that, the .300 WSM is, a Bit "Harsh" in, a 7.5 Pound, Tikka ( UN- braked ) LOL yup,.. I'm an old, Recoil, Wimp, NOW !

Last edited:
How long of shots are you thinking you can do?
But as Ducky stated the 6.5 is plenty of rifle to do your job.
Shot placement is what it's all about.
Number ONE Question, how do you Hunt and at what Range do you "Expect" to be shooting at,.. or,.. "Sniping" at,.. ELK ???
The 6.5 PRC,.. IS,. "Capable" with the right, bullet at, "Normal" Hunting, Ranges !
The 6.5 PRC should be good to, 700-800 Yards or so, IF you can, Read, the Wind, some.

Last edited:
Number ONE Question, how do you Hunt and at what Range do you "Expect" to be shooting at,.. or,.. "Sniping" at,.. ELK ???
The 6.5 PRC,.. IS,. "Capable" with the right, bullet at, "Normal" Hunting, Ranges !
Should be good to, 700-800 Yards or so, IF you can, Read, the Wind, some !
People only need an elephant gun to hunt elephants.
This has to be one of the most over analyzed questions of all time.
Not saying "Don't ask questions, everyone should.

A well known hunter rifleman Randy Newberg I found on YouTube states it best.
He says when people ask him what's the best Gun for Elk, he tells them the gun your most comfortable with. So will a 30-30 kill and Elk...yes, I've seen as stated before deer drop dead in their tracks with a .22 from over 100 yards.
I'm not saying I'd take a 30-30 on an Elk hunt, but Newberg's point is well taken.
If you have a 25-06, or a 300 Weatherby and you've used it for years that you know what it can do, how it's going to buck when you shoot it, then that's your elk gun.

The knowledge you need to have is, how far do you feel confident shooting it. look to see what Bullets are recommended for taking an Elk, and they're is your Elk gun.
HaPpY ShOoTiNg

Last edited:

Recent Posts