Trying to decide on caliber

If you are buying off the shelf, any 7mm, or 300 WSM. If you are building a custom, I'm prejudice, don't overlook the 338-06. I rebarreled my Win 70 Fwt from 280 Rem to 338-06 with 24" Fwt contour PacNor. 2800fps with 200gr Hornady SST and easy to carry, moderate recoil. Can closely duplicate 300 WSM ballistics with less powder, equal weight bullets, bigger hole! All pluses in my book. Hope this helps, good luck making your decision.

I like my .338s for big robust stuff—the last few years I have shot a lot of 338 Norma…just a stellar performer pushes heavy high BC stuff easy(270-300 grain) and will kick 225 and 250s with laser beam trajectory. I built a 33 nosler a few years ago and that is probably the best compromise of all…a little more than a win mag and a bit less than the Norma—and can be built more compact. 338s are a bit of a step up too as you already have middle ground covered it looks like.

I will say—if your not a reloader— 300 win mag is hard to beat…if you want something different the 300 PRC is gaining ground….again you don't need a 338 for elk..but once you use one—they work extraordinarily well.

Are you thinking short action for weight?
My
Elk rifle or one of them of wby backcountry carbon in 300 weatherby
6 1/2 on rifle shoots great, was able to find good reloading components and factory ammo and will go the distance
Other is a 30 nosler still a 7lb rifle

Are you thinking short action for weight?
My
Elk rifle or one of them of wby backcountry carbon in 300 weatherby
6 1/2 on rifle shoots great, was able to find good reloading components and factory ammo and will go the distance
Other is a 30 nosler still a 7lb rifle
Yeah I'm hoping to run a suppressor as well so a shorter (22" barrel) would be ideal

If you're being guided, ask them what their recommendation is or their minimum. A well known guide in NM and CO told me .300 WM is their minimum. I'm presently searching for one right now.

Can't beat .308 diameter holes in Elk chest walls.... not sure velocity matters as much as great bullet construction. With all the insanity going on in the ammo and reloading world these days I'd stick with the plain Jane ho-hum. 300 win mag, with a "good" X-bullet or Partition your good to go for the rest of your days.
FB_IMG_1604865788033(1).jpg

Say you have an elk on the ground and a big brown bear appears, what do you do?
Depends on what caliber you chose above.

Your 6.5 prc will do fine, but any excuse for a new rifle im down with. That said, I think some separation in cartridge class is in order. Id be looking at 30 cal minimum and likely 338 just because. I think 6.5 prc/ 338 rum make a great two gun combination. The 300 Rum would be my second choice. If the rum is a bit over the top, id consider the wsm, win mag, or prc 300s also.
And as far as 338 Rum, really any fast 33. 340 weatherby, 338 lapua or rum would all do the job.

Say you have an elk on the ground and a big brown bear appears, what do you do?
Depends on what caliber you chose above.
Been there ... done that, a number of times on my solo moose hunts ... it's never the same scenario ... but one king rules all ..... mass power is everything ... even a bad hit can temp slow a brownie down enough to work the bolt and hit him again, or ... get run over, clawed & chewed up ... & dead ...

I'll take recoil vs the sissy cool new 6.5's

Last edited:
Been there ... done that, a number of times on my solo moose hunts ... it's never the same scenario ... but one king rules all ..... mass power is everything ... even a bad hit can temp slow a brownie down enough to work the bolt and hit him again, or ... get run over, clawed & chewed up ... & dead ...

I'll take recoil vs the sissy cool new 6.5's
What is your big game rifle? My hunting partner lived in Nome and had a .270 and .45colt. But isn't that all tundra? They say there is a pretty girl behind every tree?