Truck Gun’s

I have 2 go to truck guns, plus a third for mule deer season.
22 nosler I pieced together with clearance and new gunbroker parts.
1722606852573.jpeg

A savage hog hunter in 308. This was the first to arrive to Amarillo TX when they first came out years ago. Took a factory wood stock and slimmed it down so it swings like a fine piece, and put better irons on it. My longest shots have been with this rifle surprisingly, and it's folded some dandy critters, because it's what I had with me.
1722607078968.jpeg

1722607120529.jpeg

I realized these pictures are from some years back, both rifles carry a suppressor now.

22 nosler I pieced together with clearance and new gunbroker parts.View attachment 591195
A savage hog hunter in 308. This was the first to arrive to Amarillo TX when they first came out years ago. Took a factory wood stock and slimmed it down so it swings like a fine piece, and put better irons on it. My longest shots have been with this rifle surprisingly, and it's folded some dandy critters, because it's what I had with me. View attachment 591198
View attachment 591200
I realized these pictures are from some years back, both rifles carry a suppressor now.
Nice rifles, your a good ole critter slayer lol...good job!

Here are my 2 ride along rigs that I take in the Superduty or the CanAm Defender. Both are Kelbly Atlas Tactical actions in 308. Suppressed 18" rig is dialed in with a 130 Barnes TTSX that moves at 3140 FPS. Other is a 18" Proof that runs a 168 Swiss plus P at 2740. Both are 1 hole shooters. Soon to be added will be a 22 Creed with a 20" Proof.

IMG_2457.jpeg
IMG_2456.jpeg
IMG_2455.jpeg
IMG_2453.jpeg

22 nosler I pieced together with clearance and new gunbroker parts.View attachment 591195
A savage hog hunter in 308. This was the first to arrive to Amarillo TX when they first came out years ago. Took a factory wood stock and slimmed it down so it swings like a fine piece, and put better irons on it. My longest shots have been with this rifle surprisingly, and it's folded some dandy critters, because it's what I had with me. View attachment 591198
View attachment 591200
Nice Aoudad. Where did you shoot it?

To me, a truck gun is a rifle that stays in my truck all the time, just in case I need it. It has to be short and light, so I can reach into the back seat and grab it with one hand and swing it out the drivers window. If I'm driving down the road and see a coyote or groundhog, I can pull over and shoot out the window. It has to be a bolt action because an automatic will crack your windshield. Ask me how I know :). Currently, my truck gun is a Ruger American Gen 2 Ranch Rifle with a 16" barrel, in 223 Rem, shooting Sierra 69gr BTHP. On occasion, I'll swap it out for the same model rifle in 300 Blackout, if I'm controlling deer populations. The BO is a very under rated caliber when it's fired supersonic. Both rifles constantly wear a titanium suppressor for low weight. When I was young, 50+ years ago, my constant companion was a Winchester 94 in 30-30.
Just because you carry it in a truck, doesn't make it a truck gun. :)

Nice Aoudad. Where did you shoot it?
That was off a fork of palo duro west of Wayside. I used to hunt some farm ground and CRP that was right off the canyon with my cousins. We were out trying to shoot pigs (no camo necessary) that spring, I think mid March. My cousins were milling around, one taking a leak. I slipped down a game trail that ran parallel to the canyon, then turned into a drainage that went to the bottom. Got down it a bit, cousins still in sight 50 yards behind me. I heard something large coming down the trail. I took a few steps forward, expecting to see the typical large boar we often killed. The trail dropped down around 6 feet, and snaked around some cedar. I could see cedar moving, so I side stepped to my right. 10 foot away stood the aoudad, raking the tree and eating a branch he'd pulled free. Had no idea I was there. Shot him in the chest and he piled up! That 168 grain amax penetrated the length of him, and stopped in the hide at his right hip.

Even wilder, as we were taking pictures, a small sounder of hogs moved into an opening on the canyon floor, 50 yards away. It was chaos, trading phones for rifles. None were killed but many spooked😂