Tell me about the 450 Bushmaster

Just shot a deer with my 450 ruger ranch yesterday at about 130 yards. Bullet blow straight throw taking top of heart off. Deer ran maybe 15 yards. I've takin several deer wit it an always been impressed with performance. Shooting Hornady black 250 gr ftx an accuracy is awesome same hole at hundred with factory rifle an ammo

Reports like this are making it really hard for me to put a custom barrel on my donor savage action.

Took two doe tonight with the Rugers, one at 130 yards and the other at 53. One deer dropped on the spot, the other ran 20 yards, wobbling the whole way. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

I brought the ruger ranch 450 bc I wanted a lightweight thumper. For thicker brush hunting deer an black bear in wv. I put zeiss 2-7x32 scope on it an luv how it handles. Short, lightweight, an outstanding accuracy trust me u can't go wrong with it

Took two doe tonight with the Rugers, one at 130 yards and the other at 53. One deer dropped on the spot, the other ran 20 yards, wobbling the whole way. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Those distances sound like what would be typical for my area, What load did you use?.

Just a observation. I live in and hunt in Indiana and are amazed the cartridge isn't more popular here as our DNR allows calibers/cartridges over .357" and less than 1.8" in length used on public land. I have thousands of 12ga sabot slugs under my belt and if the ballistics of the 450 Bushmaster are as I believe correct then the 450 Bushmaster is the equal of if not slightly superior to the best performing 12 or 20gs shotgun sabot ammo available.

If you are a reloader like myself you can save considerable cost VS shotgun sabot ammo as we all know unlike rifle ammo, you can not reload the equal to modern shotgun ammo which is VERY, VERY expensive.
I plan on buying at least one 22" Ruger American or an 450 Bushmaster upper for one of my AR's for myself and my sons to use for public land hunts.

Just a observation. I live in and hunt in Indiana and are amazed the cartridge isn't more popular here as our DNR allows calibers/cartridges over .357" and less than 1.8" in length used on public land. I have thousands of 12ga sabot slugs under my belt and if the ballistics of the 450 Bushmaster are as I believe correct then the 450 Bushmaster is the equal of if not slightly superior to the best performing 12 or 20gs shotgun sabot ammo available.

If you are a reloader like myself you can save considerable cost VS shotgun sabot ammo as we all know unlike rifle ammo, you can not reload the equal to modern shotgun ammo which is VERY, VERY expensive.
I plan on buying at least one 22" Ruger American or an 450 Bushmaster upper for one of my AR's for myself and my sons to use for public land hunts.
Correct.

I think it's interesting that in my 12 gauge, 450 and muzzleloader I have shot the exact same Hornady bullet, and the ballistics from the 3 are virtually identical. The 450 is the fastest, and the muzzleloader has taken the longest shot on game (elk at 187).

Here in MI the 450 is the hot ticket, but you in IN had some unusual regulations for a few years which resulted in some interesting wildcats. I suspect that this decreased the interest in buying yet another rifle to match the rules.

So, tell me about the 450 Bushmaster.
Iowa allows hunting deer during shotgun season with .357 cal or larger straightwall calibers
I have never hunted shotgun season, as I have been an avid bowhunter for 35+ years, but am interested in giving it a try. I will be stand hunting, not pushing deer like most do, so am looking at being able to reach out there 2-300 yards.
I am looking at the Ruger Ranch rifle in 450 Bushmaster as an entry level rifle.
I have that same rifle. LOVE IT. Very accurate, very light and nimble. 450 250 gr will punch through small and medium sized game easily and I would not hesitate to hunt anything that you would hunt with a muzzleloader using 150 grains and a 250gr bullet.
Only draw back is it is a bit loud due to short 16" barrel and brake.

I just found 20 cases of once fired at the range and thought that they were interesting enough to keep and consider buying a barrel for.

I love my Ruger Ranch due to its compactness, accuracy, weight etc. if I reloaed I believe I would find the most expanding 250 gr bullet available that maintained the exceptional accuracy that the Hornady 250gr FTX Ammo delivers. I have had deer run quite a ways after perfect behind the shoulder double lung shots. All have been recovered but have had a few run 70 to 90 yards. Need a bullet that will transmit as much energy inside the body cavity as possible before exiting. Big heavy polymer tipped bullets like the FTX will blow right through a deer taking most of its energy with it instead of transferring that energy to the deers innards. I have gone to high shoulder shots with the 450 even on my meat does and that anchors em DRT but does waste some meat. Maybe a large cavity open hollow point would be a better choice. Let me know if you find a bullet that will transfers more energy when making double lung shots!

If you want people to notice you at the range, why buy a puny 450, when you can get a 50 Bmg, a mans rifle and cartridge that'll clear the benches on either side of you and make everyone there go Holy F@#K Batman ?
I think the 450 I gave my niece for her 12th birthday present is collecting dust in her closet, I'll see if she wants to sell it.

50 BMG? I like guttin my own deer............course I here you can miss your target by 6 to 8 inches and still kill it so I guess it mite have its advantages. Breakin one of them out at a table and firing it at a "normal" range may get ya drawn and quartered by about 20 old retired military guys lmao

Reports like this are making it really hard for me to put a custom barrel on my donor savage action.
I use to tell people just gettin into huntin to buy a Remington 700.......I now tell them to spend less and get more by buyin a Ruger American rifle, preferably one of the RAR Predator models due to a little heavier barrel and less barrel whip. They shoot better than most average hunters can shoot.

I think Iowa is only allowing straightwall rifle for residents this year iirc, non res still must hunt with either shotgun or pistol. I remember getting some sort of notification from Iowa dnr about it iirc, as I've put in for non res tags there before.
Muzzleloader also I believe.

I have a bushmaster upper, I have used it on several deer over the years and it hits them hard! Shoots tight groups too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.