Tell me about the 450 Bushmaster

trueblue

So, tell me about the 450 Bushmaster.
Iowa allows hunting deer during shotgun season with .357 cal or larger straightwall calibers
I have never hunted shotgun season, as I have been an avid bowhunter for 35+ years, but am interested in giving it a try. I will be stand hunting, not pushing deer like most do, so am looking at being able to reach out there 2-300 yards.
I am looking at the Ruger Ranch rifle in 450 Bushmaster as an entry level rifle.

Also, would be interested in hearing about other cartridges in these calibers above .375 for deer

Your rules sound close to Ohio I've shot deer with .357 don't have enough nock down for me. 460 S&W 45/70 450marlin All work wonderfully in my opinion.Have a ruger American in 450 bushmaster haven't shot a deer with it yet.I'm very confident in it shot a couple ground hogs with it makes a mess of them.

Be sure and check your state regulations (Some states have a Maximum case length stipulation and the 450 bushmaster, the 450 Marlin and the 45/70 exceeds some of them. (over 2.00'').

I bought an AR 15 Upper in 450 Bushmaster and I am very pleased with the power and knock down in an AR format. It does a tremendous job on hogs also.

I also built a 460 Smith & Wesson rifle that can be used in those states that have the maximum case length requirement of 2.00" (The 460 case is 1.8"). I had thought about building a 450 Bushmaster in a bolt action rifle also but having a 460 pistol and the AR 450 bushmaster the 460 just made more sense.

In the AR, the 450 Bushmaster can produce just over 2800 ft/lbs of muzzle energy using a 250 grain bullet.

The 460 using a 200 grain bullet produces over 3800 ft/lbs of muzzle energy in the 24"rifle/barrel due to the velocity it gets. I am going to test the potential of the 250 grain Flex tip to see what it will do in the 460 S&W.

J E CUSTOM

It is also an Ohio deer legal cartridge, I find it interesting as it uses a .452 bullet which I already have on my reloading shelf. I have no interest in using an AR style rifle for deer as Ohio limits us to 3 rounds

I will be stand hunting, not pushing deer like most do, so am looking at being able to reach out there 2-300 yards.
I am looking at the Ruger Ranch rifle in 450 Bushmaster as an entry level rifle.

If you want a Ruger, look into the 22 inch barrel versions sold by Randy's Hunting Center here in Michigan:
http://www.randyshuntingcenter.com/
This is especially true if you don't need to have the muzzle brake on it. My friend's son just put a hole in his Double Bull blind from the muzzle flash, and the combination of the short barrel plus brake is both loud and bright. I do not find the recoil on my unbraked one to be at all unpleasant, as the soft pad on the Ruger works quite well.

I own a 22 inch version, and took a very nice 9 pt buck yesterday at 130 yards. One shot, trotted 30 yards and fell over from a double-lung hit. I was quite pleased with the performance.

A month ago we played with these rifles at 340 yards. It did not take long to decide that they weren't up to the task as we watched bullets strike not above or below the target, but rather in front or behind. They're dropping so quickly at that distance that they appear to be meteors falling from the sky - we have them on video. I suspect that the cartridge is good to 225 yards or so before the drop is so severe that it's not worth shooting.

If you buy the Ruger, remove the trigger spring (see YouTube) and cut it to just under 0.6 inches. I found that this was a much more repeatable/predictable number than trying to guess what 1 or 1 1/2 coils were. I also polished the trigger/sear surface while I had it out. Doing this, you can then adjust it to a much nicer trigger pull. Or, of course, you can have your gunsmith do it. :D

I wrapped my stock and barrel with Mossy Oak vinyl ( http://www.mossyoakgraphics.com/rifle-wrap-mossy-oak-camo-skin ) and it looks great.

If you want a Ruger, look into the 22 inch barrel versions sold by Randy's Hunting Center here in Michigan:
http://www.randyshuntingcenter.com/
This is especially true if you don't need to have the muzzle brake on it. My friend's son just put a hole in his Double Bull blind from the muzzle flash, and the combination of the short barrel plus brake is both loud and bright. I do not find the recoil on my unbraked one to be at all unpleasant, as the soft pad on the Ruger works quite well.

I own a 22 inch version, and took a very nice 9 pt buck yesterday at 130 yards. One shot, trotted 30 yards and fell over from a double-lung hit. I was quite pleased with the performance.

A month ago we played with these rifles at 340 yards. It did not take long to decide that they weren't up to the task as we watched bullets strike not above or below the target, but rather in front or behind. They're dropping so quickly at that distance that they appear to be meteors falling from the sky - we have them on video. I suspect that the cartridge is good to 225 yards or so before the drop is so severe that it's not worth shooting.

If you buy the Ruger, remove the trigger spring (see YouTube) and cut it to just under 0.6 inches. I found that this was a much more repeatable/predictable number than trying to guess what 1 or 1 1/2 coils were. I also polished the trigger/sear surface while I had it out. Doing this, you can then adjust it to a much nicer trigger pull. Or, of course, you can have your gunsmith do it. :D

I wrapped my stock and barrel with Mossy Oak vinyl ( http://www.mossyoakgraphics.com/rifle-wrap-mossy-oak-camo-skin ) and it looks great.

Dr V. What sort of accuracy are you getting at lets say 200 yards?

Just shot a deer with my 450 ruger ranch yesterday at about 130 yards. Bullet blow straight throw taking top of heart off. Deer ran maybe 15 yards. I've takin several deer wit it an always been impressed with performance. Shooting Hornady black 250 gr ftx an accuracy is awesome same hole at hundred with factory rifle an ammo

Dr V. What sort of accuracy are you getting at lets say 200 yards?

2 inches is not unusual. With some rifles we may do better. It seems to depend on the shooter more than the rifle.
At times we stack one shot on top of another and wonder why we have other expensive rifles.

Last year we tried one at 340 yards to see what would happen. I think the bullet is moving more vertical (down) than horizontal at that point, and watching the video was a bit funny. The 450 is NOT a 340 yard cartridge.

2 inches is not unusual. With some rifles we may do better. It seems to depend on the shooter more than the rifle.
At times we stack one shot on top of another and wonder why we have other expensive rifles.

Last year we tried one at 340 yards to see what would happen. I think the bullet is moving more vertical (down) than horizontal at that point, and watching the video was a bit funny. The 450 is NOT a 340 yard cartridge.

That sort of accuracy was not expected, I am looking for a gun to hunt deer with in Ohio and this just might be it. I have a long range Smokeless Muzzleloader and so far out to 275 yards with that gun has been relatively easy. I would like to see the video you took if possible. Thanks

i have one in a Ruger no1 its a tack driver with the winchester deer season so i don't load for it. If you have a 20ga slug gun it will behave like that but will probly shoot a bit better.

I think Iowa is only allowing straightwall rifle for residents this year iirc, non res still must hunt with either shotgun or pistol. I remember getting some sort of notification from Iowa dnr about it iirc, as I've put in for non res tags there before.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.