TARGET BULLETS ARE NOT HUNTING BULLETS!

Hell of a buck!
I dabled with bonded bullets and monos for a bit and they just straight suck for killing stuff, the only rifle bull I've ever lost was with a bonded bullet at long range (2100 fps impact)
I've made more kills than I can count with Amax and eldms, avoid elk shoulders unless you like wasting meat though.

Hell of a buck!
I dabled with bonded bullets and monos for a bit and they just straight suck for killing stuff, the only rifle bull I've ever lost was with a bonded bullet at long range (2100 fps impact)
I've made more kills than I can count with Amax and eldms, avoid elk shoulders unless you like wasting meat though.
The buck was slightly quartered toward me. I had to hit shoulder or I would have exited guts. This is the result of those crappy target bullets. I'm guess I should consider myself "lucky" that this was "enough" to kill him.

Attachments

• FBE2B4F0-A629-4577-A8FE-03321667DAF1.jpeg
    FBE2B4F0-A629-4577-A8FE-03321667DAF1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 401
The buck was slightly quartered toward me. I had to hit shoulder or I would have exited guts. This is the result of those crappy target bullets. I'm guess I should consider myself "lucky" that this was "enough" to kill him.
That's awesome
I started playing with 225 eldms again this season and I was amazed at what it did to a cow my wife shot.
It literally dropped like the spine was severed with a double lung hit.
The only Bergers I still use are 180 vldh cuz I have like 2000 of them, otherwise Berger can suck it with their price hikes, lack of availability, and in some cases (195s and 215s) unreliable expansion

Pretty simple. Add a bag of ice to the bottom of a large ice chest throw in a hind quarter and a front shoulder, add some more ice throw in the other hind quarter and the front quarter and your trim and cover with ice.

Keep it closed up and drain as needed. The ice will melt fairly quickly at the beginning, but once the meat is cooled to the bone, the ice will last a long time. Replace ice as necessary. I've done two antelope and a deer this year so far with the ice aging method and left them for 12 days. I don't think it hurts to rotate the meat either but sometimes the ice gets really hard and it's hard to access the meat.

As you drain the water, it will be extremely bloody at first, but by the seventh or eighth day it's barely pink. I think it does a good job of removing all of the blood. Everything I've eaten has been very tender and mild.
I have been doing that for years. Most years in Arkansas, this one being an exception, this is the only way we can age our game w/o a walk in cooler, it is too warm here to leave animals hanging. I actually have a Deer hanging now as it colder than normal here.

Yes, it works very well.

I have been doing that for years. Most years in Arkansas, this one being an exception, this is the only way we can age our game w/o a walk in cooler, it is too warm here to leave animals hanging. I actually have a Deer hanging now as it colder than normal here.

Yes, it works very well.
The highs in Colorado have been in the 40s and I'm still putting them in the ice chest. Less loss from the outside drying out and more "cleaning" from them blood draining.

I just sent my 280 AI out to cow elk hunt again this year with my little brother. It will be shooting a 162 ELDM. It's what I used for elk the last two years. Deer for three and pronghorn this year as well. One and done on of these critters.

In my testing, the eldm opens up a bit quicker then the eldx and will shed a bit more weight terminally but for deer size game thats often a good thing. One thing many do not realize is that with Berger bullets, the Match versions have heavier jackets then the Hunting version. For me loading them in my Allen Magnum and Allen Xpress or Stalker wildcats, at the velocity ranges these are working at, the Match version of the Bergers is all i use as the Hunting version expand to aggressively. All that said, do a little pre hunt Testing and see what they do and then match the bullets to the game being hunted and the rifle/chambering being used. For deer, match bullets often are a fine choice. If you need 4 feet of penetration, common sense should tell you there are better options out there. Nice buck by the way and obviously good shooting!!
Hybrid bergers have been my overall best bullet. Here lately they are just so hard to find though.