Nosler RDF Target Bullets for "Hunting"

Greg Duerr

While looking for some Berger 6.5mm 140gr VLD Hunting bullets I saw some Nosler RDF Target Bullets in the 6.5mm 140gr with a BC of 658, I think, anyway I was just wondering if anyone has ever used these and what your thoughts are and If anyone has ever used them for Deer or Antelope.

I haven't used them but they have a VERY small meplat! They might be pretty difficult to open? It would be nice to see some tested beside some known bullets.....rich

Holy crap...
I just pulled a 140 out...you are right...I never realized how small that melplat is...

Pulled out a Sierra 150...The metplat is also really small...about the same size of the 140 RDF...

Berger 140 Elite Hunter...much larger metplat...

Never noticed before...

Thanks

Last edited:
Meplat is the term for the bullet's tip. Can be closed (full metal jacket), exposed lead core (soft tip) open, (hollow point), or the fancy new plastic plug/cap like nosler's ballistic tip, hornady's amax etc.

I shot an average sized coyote at 205 yards last fall with the 140 gr RDF in my 6.5 SAUM. Broadside behind the shoulder. It was a bang flop with a quarter sized exit. This performance seems encouraging, as I typically get 2 inch exits on broadside deer and antelope with 6.5 and 7mm JLKs.

Sinclair offers a tool for the Meplat dont they, to make them all uniform. Would that make them more hunter friendly?
It might, depends on jacket thickness, but you will be lowering the bc and if you're going to that work I think it'll be easier to use a Berger and still true up the meplat to ensure consistent performance on game
I tested 155scenars out of my 308, they just poke holes. I seriously doubt any pointed bullet like the rdf or Sierra would be okay on game, but I've not used them

I'm curious as well... Can't wait to hear results.

A while back there were several folks testing the Nosler Custom Comps on game, and said they functioned fine, but never saw any gel test results...So, curious to see how these work, and would also like to see gel tests for both the CC & RDF bullets.

No clue how the RDF would work. My only experience with nosler match type bullets is a few coyotes shot with the nosler custom compltions out of a 22-250 and the results were pretty explosive. I shot one in the back of the head and it didn't have a face left, I shot a another through the chest and it was a basball headed out the other side. If I was going to try them id try to find a coyote or two to test them on.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.