Nosler RDF Target Bullets for "Hunting"

I have shot the 142 SMK on a bunch of game from rabbits to coyotes to deer, and a buddy used it on pronghorn too. Awesome performance.

I have used the 150 SMK on 2 coyotes this season too. Exits were good from distances of 60 & 322 yards.

Top row and single in 2nd are the 150s, bottom rows are 142s.

We are going to try them i machined them in half identical to berger hunters just as stated smaller meplat they do have a longer boat tail

Last edited by a moderator:
Here they are by side

Attachments

• BD0DDA80-925F-4093-A34B-C23BB2A14E91.jpeg
    BD0DDA80-925F-4093-A34B-C23BB2A14E91.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,314
We are going to try them i machined them in half identical to berger hunters just as stated smaller meplat they do have a longer boat tail

Maybe but is the jacket the same hardness same for the lead alloy. Be interested to see recovered bullets that only go thru soft tissue.

Finally able to connect with a coyote this morning with the 105 RDF out of my 6 Dasher and thought I'd share. After a hectic start to the morning with nothing ready a coyote decided to run out in front of the truck which left me scrambling for all of my stuff scattered in the back seat. Finally organized, I headed to the ridge the coyote crossed to see a doe whitetail staring off so I figured the coyote went that way. Sure enough I finally was able to spot the coyote standing in the stubble. Ranged him at 452 yards but he ran a few more yards but not enough to matter. A quick yap stopped him long enough for the 105 to be sent through the boiler room. At first it looked like I shot over since it took off sprinting, for 50 or so yards, and dirt kicked up behind it before crumpling up dead. When I made it over to it there was a lot of blood but that was from the running. Th shot was perfect behind the shoulder as was the exit which was about 1".
I also had excellent results with these bullets this spring for my Nevada rock chuck hunt. I was able to connect with a bunch of chucks ranging from 130 yards to 757 yards and all were pretty impressive to say the least. I expected these bullets to basically pencil through since the meplat is so small but they actually perform decent. I may try them on a whitetail doe that I have an extra tag for with other "hunting" bullets as backup but I expect they will do just fine.

The pictures may be graphic but want to show the bullet performance. The end of the piece of stubble is the exit.
20180907_082557.jpg 20180907_063421.jpg

Nice Ryan! That's good info and may help with those wanting to run the new 150 smk in the 6.5's. They are quite similar.

Finally able to connect with a coyote this morning with the 105 RDF out of my 6 Dasher and thought I'd share. After a hectic start to the morning with nothing ready a coyote decided to run out in front of the truck which left me scrambling for all of my stuff scattered in the back seat. Finally organized, I headed to the ridge the coyote crossed to see a doe whitetail staring off so I figured the coyote went that way. Sure enough I finally was able to spot the coyote standing in the stubble. Ranged him at 452 yards but he ran a few more yards but not enough to matter. A quick yap stopped him long enough for the 105 to be sent through the boiler room. At first it looked like I shot over since it took off sprinting, for 50 or so yards, and dirt kicked up behind it before crumpling up dead. When I made it over to it there was a lot of blood but that was from the running. Th shot was perfect behind the shoulder as was the exit which was about 1".
I also had excellent results with these bullets this spring for my Nevada rock chuck hunt. I was able to connect with a bunch of chucks ranging from 130 yards to 757 yards and all were pretty impressive to say the least. I expected these bullets to basically pencil through since the meplat is so small but they actually perform decent. I may try them on a whitetail doe that I have an extra tag for with other "hunting" bullets as backup but I expect they will do just fine.

The pictures may be graphic but want to show the bullet performance. The end of the piece of stubble is the exit.
View attachment 105076 View attachment 105077
Pretty rifle!
Keep those yotes falling.
Let us know if you connect with a whitetail.

Nice Ryan! That's good info and may help with those wanting to run the new 150 smk in the 6.5's. They are quite similar.

It was nice that it came together finally after we had the miss when we met up last weekend! Helps to have the right bullet profile loaded ;) they seem to be working well for me so far. If I get back to shooting the 110 smk that BC is hard to ignore.

Pretty rifle!
Keep those yotes falling.
Let us know if you connect with a whitetail.
I definitely will update but probably wont get a chance to get one until after my elk hunt so November.
Thanks for the comment on the rifle! I love this rifle. It is built on a sako 85 varmint with a 28" Krieger 4 groove 1:7.5. I made the comb riser out of a chunk of Pacific yew which might as well have been steel haha

I definitely will update but probably wont get a chance to get one until after my elk hunt so November.
Thanks for the comment on the rifle! I love this rifle. It is built on a sako 85 varmint with a 28" Krieger 4 groove 1:7.5. I made the comb riser out of a chunk of Pacific yew which might as well have been steel haha

I didn't know that was Yew!! I had some beautiful 13" wide by 2 1/2" thick Yew that I had sawn and kept for 20 years! I was always going to make a stock and I finally gave them to a friend. DANG!
Biggest Yew I ever saw. It grew like a tree.

That's to bad! Get a slab back haha I saw one that big but most of the yew are heart rotted by that point. I have some more rounds but none big enough for a stock unfortunately. It is a beautiful wood and it was a very close match to my laminate stock. It smooths out like glass.

Ya, that stuff is HARD and fine grained. Mine has a variety of colors even including some rose color.
I DID MAKE A CRIBBAGE BOARD!
Back to the thread:D

IN old mexico we shoot at running goat/sheep at 400m or more in competition, and many of us shoot sierras, or nosler cc, I also have been thinking of shooting this next hunting season with the RDFs from my creedmoor, 260 or 6.5-284..

I have seen sierras matchking make the biggest exit holes on the goat/sheep. and have shoot two deer with my 338 edge 300 grainers with matchkings, all of them were one hit, bang/flop, even the exit hole was small, the energy transfer of the matchking was astounding.

though, in mexico we don't have many options to reloaders, If I were in your position, buy a hunting bullet and be done with it. I would buy an accubond, or partition...my 2 cents
from old mexico, Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts