Starting from scratch - First Lite or Kuiu?

Starting From Scratch - KUIU or First Lite

• KUIU

Votes: 78 50.3%
  • FIRST LITE

Votes: 30 19.4%
  • MIX OF BOTH

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • OTHER BRAND (LISTED IN COMMENTS)

Votes: 19 12.3%

• Total voters
Since reading this thread and a few others like it, along with realizing I might have to "modern up" a little and replace worn wears; if I got fully outfitted (less boots) I'd have about $1450 into all new gear. And that's 3 pairs thermals, two different weights.

Hope this is a relevant question. Did most of you piece your outfits together or buy it all at once?
I am going to have to piece things together because I'm built like a wedge. I've tried on several things that just don't fit. Short torso and extra wide shoulders are hard to fit.
I pieced mine together. Remember many of these items can easily be worn multiple days without stinking, in particular the stuff against your skin. I can pretty easily get through a 5 day hunt on 1 set of shirts and a pair of pants. I usually use 2 pair of underwear rinsing out a pair each night and swapping them. With this high tech stuff you don't need a huge amount of it to get by. Also, for rifle hunting I use solid colors which I can get more use out of outside of hunting trips. I wear solid color attack pants to work all the time.

Pieced together through the years, adding in extras of my favorites when on sale. I usually wear my pants for a good week before washing. I have a crazy long torso with broader upper body and some belly right now. Have to go two sizes up for coats and one size up for shirts. I guess I may be an XL for good now in all shirts😂. So shirts are XL and 2XL on coats and sweat shirts. Pants fit like my normal 36s do but I get both 36 and 38s so I can wear long underwear and have a bit more room in the winter. I don't need a belt with 36 but do for the 38s. For perspective I'm 6.1 220lb with a 30 inch inseam. Around a 48-50 jacket size. This is for KUIU sizing.

All great gear. Save a few bucks to buy a box of tissues. First time you cross a fence tearing a hole in any top brand you'll need to mop moisture from your eyes.
I just snagged my Sitka coat at work and was thinking I had ripped it. I started to throw a fit and then figured I better check it first. No rip…but I felt the pain of what it could have been lol.

Since reading this thread and a few others like it, along with realizing I might have to "modern up" a little and replace worn wears; if I got fully outfitted (less boots) I'd have about $1450 into all new gear. And that's 3 pairs thermals, two different weights.

Hope this is a relevant question. Did most of you piece your outfits together or buy it all at once?
I am going to have to piece things together because I'm built like a wedge. I've tried on several things that just don't fit. Short torso and extra wide shoulders are hard to fit.
Piece it together. Find what you like and what works for you and sell/ take back what doesn't!

I don't have matching anything. I have pants from several different manufactures, Shirts are the same way, and my longs are from I don't remember where. But they are all comfortable and they are weather related. I can hunt in 50* days to -30 and be comfortable.

Both, all… Ignore the one brand solution and get the pieces from whichever brand makes the best in category. This is my approach. It is eclectic but I would rather have a piece of gear that works better from a brand that doesn't match tgan one that matches and makes me get uncomfortable in the elements.

YOU weight the importance. Buy asian or buy American (Gulch,Forloh)? Merino or synthetic base layer? Lightweight or durable? Cheap or expensive around a titanium stove? Solid colors for broader use or species specific camo?

I tend to wear a mix of things. First lite bino harness, their leafy top and head covering, one of their base layer hoodie type shirts. 5.11 tactical or Duluth pants, darn tough socks (lifetime warranty), random brands for shirts. I do use a lot of USMC issue stuff for cold weather, like rothco fleeces and such. I feel that allegiance to one brand (unless you hunt one area for one type of animal only) is short changing yourself on versatility. For some great cold weather gear, look at Wild Things Llc. They issue a lot of stuff for the US military. I typically turn my nose up to "military grade" marketing ploy garbage, but their stuff is actually really nice, and extremely durable. I have used their Happy Suit jacket for over 10 years now, hunting, camping, skiing, the whole nine yards. It still looks brand new. If you get a lot of snow, they also sell overwhites, which should be pretty handy.

My thoughts on First Lite: it's decent stuff, and a moderate value for the money. But I don't feel like their gear is going to last me 5+ years of hunting 30-50 days out of the year. I also dislike their camo pattern. It looks cool, but their arid pattern (cipher I think) is very dark and has a lot of black in it. I haven't tried it yet, but in my state of Oklahoma, I feel like the darkness of the pattern won't "fade in" from a distance, but rather, turn me into a dark blob from 100-300 yards away. Honestly, a lot of coyote brown finds it's way into my hunting clothes, and it works really well for me, especially on the western side of the state.

I tend to wear a mix of things. First lite bino harness, their leafy top and head covering, one of their base layer hoodie type shirts. 5.11 tactical or Duluth pants, darn tough socks (lifetime warranty), random brands for shirts. I do use a lot of USMC issue stuff for cold weather, like rothco fleeces and such. I feel that allegiance to one brand (unless you hunt one area for one type of animal only) is short changing yourself on versatility. For some great cold weather gear, look at Wild Things Llc. They issue a lot of stuff for the US military. I typically turn my nose up to "military grade" marketing ploy garbage, but their stuff is actually really nice, and extremely durable. I have used their Happy Suit jacket for over 10 years now, hunting, camping, skiing, the whole nine yards. It still looks brand new. If you get a lot of snow, they also sell overwhites, which should be pretty handy.

My thoughts on First Lite: it's decent stuff, and a moderate value for the money. But I don't feel like their gear is going to last me 5+ years of hunting 30-50 days out of the year. I also dislike their camo pattern. It looks cool, but their arid pattern (cipher I think) is very dark and has a lot of black in it. I haven't tried it yet, but in my state of Oklahoma, I feel like the darkness of the pattern won't "fade in" from a distance, but rather, turn me into a dark blob from 100-300 yards away. Honestly, a lot of coyote brown finds it's way into my hunting clothes, and it works really well for me, especially on the western side of the state.
Just for perspective…
FirstLite Cypher
B87C0A1F-C893-4C5B-BDD3-7833EA5AE9A9.jpeg

My hunting partner was wearing Patgonia/Wranger retro jungle camo which work excellent. Unfortunately no pictures at this similar distance for direct comparison but …
1620A532-50F7-4876-9742-7085605A5170.jpeg

While the lighting difference between background images and overly lit product photos is representative exactly of real life, I find this YouTube channel to give fair side by side comparisons of most camos on the market

I have some of Kuiu, First Lite, Kryptek, SKRE, and just 3 Sitka hats-the only Sitka I have. kuiu if you want the lightest weight but make sure the fit is good for you. I only have base layers and tops from First lite. A multitude of things from SKRE. I usually seem to wear a mismatch of whatever I feel like wearing.