Starting from scratch - First Lite or Kuiu?

Starting From Scratch - KUIU or First Lite

• KUIU

Votes: 78 50.3%
  • FIRST LITE

Votes: 30 19.4%
  • MIX OF BOTH

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • OTHER BRAND (LISTED IN COMMENTS)

Votes: 19 12.3%

• Total voters
For whitetail hunting I think sitka has a little edge with most of their colder season stuff having windstopper but now first lite stuff is getting better for whitetail. Western hunting I think firstlite has an advantage.

I bought a bunch of First Lite gear last year, and when it arrived I was disappointed to see that most of it was made in China. I should have looked harder at that before ordering. Had I known, I would not have bought it. Just my personal bias.

I have never owned First Light, but I do wear Kuiu exclusively. I am very very happy with all of my layers. If you want to hear about my layering system, reach out.

I have some (way too much really) from all brands Kuiu, First Lite and Sitka. My issue is sizing, as NONE are consistent. At the end of the day, they are all good. I have found nothing to compete with Sikta's Incinerator for cold days on stand in Illinois. I also like the Sitka Duck Oven. Kuiu pants are great as is the super down. First lite is tough and warm, but sizing is hard if you cant actually try it on. I would guess I have 65% Sitka, 25% Kuiu and 10% First Lite.

I am a fan of trial and error, therefore I own both Sitka and KUIU. I have nothing against first lite they are not really available to me. I prefer KUIU because they have a rep here, I can actually see the clothes feel them and try them on. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big brands. I would say this, if you have a friend that is an outfitter, they get 50% of from the Sitka US price book. If you land a deal like that you shouldn't look anywhere else.

The only brand I have tried is Kuiu and have been happy. I was on a 4 day hunt with rain every day and still stayed dry. The only downside is that the size is always on the smaller side. I always go up one size. The plus is the outlet is 10 minutes from my house so I try everything on before. They are extremely helpful, the customer service is great. The next thing I need is a puffy jacket and pants. I have been looking at Kifaru puffy jacket and pants because Kuiu is more than I want to spend and Kifaru is much warmer after checking out my guides jacket. He was fully decked out in Kuiu but showed me his Kifaru puffy jacket and I was sold. I hunt in Northern California in the heat and the the light weight material. I never experienced the cold like I did in Wyoming like last winter. I realize I needed to layer up with my Kuiu clothes. In conclusion I'm very happy with Kuiu clothes but always like to check out a few different options for different hunts.

I have some (way too much really) from all brands Kuiu, First Lite and Sitka. My issue is sizing, as NONE are consistent. At the end of the day, they are all good. I have found nothing to compete with Sikta's Incinerator for cold days on stand in Illinois. I also like the Sitka Duck Oven. Kuiu pants are great as is the super down. First lite is tough and warm, but sizing is hard if you cant actually try it on. I would guess I have 65% Sitka, 25% Kuiu and 10% First Lite.
Curious why you went with the incinerator and not fanatic? I know the incinerator is warmer, but the fanatic seems to fit the bill for most midwesterners. I only ask because I'm in Wisconsin and casually looking to waste my money on more clothing lol.

I voted "Other Brand(s)"
It's cracked me up ever since the "Scent Lok" days, seems like if you aren't in full dress and wearing the a full outfit from undies to rain gear you aren't in the club 😱

I start my choices with my long underwear, I'm a UA fan here. But I do have some surplus polypropylene/wool blend longhandles that are my favorites. Socks have to be a wool blend and higher dollar.

My pants, from bow season through early rifle is True North Wildland pro's. They are lightweight, water and fire resistant (don't have to worry about the campfire). And extremely quiet. And tough as nails. I have them in green and khaki.
I get them super cheap to free. Ex wife is a wild lands fire fighter. When the snow comes on I usually switch to my Filson woolies or Codet bibs. I've filled several elk tags wearing camo wranglers, too.

My upper usually consists of a blended wool flannel or jacket with windstopper. I'm a big fan of Outfitter Camo patterns.

I'm the guy the full dress fan boys stay away from early early in the morning at the gas station.
I'm like Johnny Cash's 5150, one piece at a time. In all my 40 years of hunting, never noticed one big game animal falling off the trail in laughter because I came on the scene dressed worse than Lucile Ball, 😂 but the squirrels - I know they think nuts.

I've been in the top ten percent for many years so I must be doing something right. I sure don't buy much beef.

Curious why you went with the incinerator and not fanatic? I know the incinerator is warmer, but the fanatic seems to fit the bill for most midwesterners. I only ask because I'm in Wisconsin and casually looking to waste my money on more clothing lol.
I wanted the incinerator for the warmth properties as in Illinois we sit on stand (tree or ground) all day. 9-10 hours in the snow and single digit temps with wind...lord there is always wind, without movement is tough to keep warm. When I bought these, (first year available) the reviews on the fanatic were good but was sold as more of an archery outfit without the rain "proofing" of the incinerator. My only complaint on the incinerator is the camo pattern. It is the original sub alpine (almost all green) and it turns into a huge green blob at a distance. I find I need to use natural cover or an over layer to break up the solid mass, but for warmth on the stand, I am very pleased.

i've got a bunch of first lite stuff and plan to add more during their black friday sale this year. never tried kuiu so i won't vote in your poll. i can vouch for how nice the FL stuff is though. it fits great, very comfortable and very warm but also lightweight.

my buddy has a bunch of kuiu and it's good to go too. sign up for the mailing lists for both and you can catch some good deals when they run sales. FL doesnt have that many, but i think Kuiu does.

I bought a bunch of First Lite gear last year, and when it arrived I was disappointed to see that most of it was made in China. I should have looked harder at that before ordering. Had I known, I would not have bought it. Just my personal bias.
My wife bought me the high end First Lite wet weather bibs and jacket for Christmas 2020. When we saw the made in China Labels she boxed it up and sent it back. I'm thankful we got a refund instead of a credit. It was close to $900 with all the kit she bought.

Own way more KUIU than I should admit. Sizing can be a pain but everything I have of KUIU is great and lasts! Even their t-shirts are very comfortable and fit great. Only thing I don't wear KUIU is socks(Darn tough awesomeness) and underwear(Duluth awesomeness). I have over 5 years on some of my pants and uppers and they are barely showing any signs of wear with me wearing them all the time. And the crotch room🤤🤤
I have had First Lite and will never own anything from them again. I have one article of clothing, a coat from them that is still holding together. I have to keep gluing the seams and this was after I warrantied two coats before this one. Everything from their underwear, pants, and shirts failed very quickly, not even making it 6 months. I really like the fitment of the one coat I have of theirs but between the pour quality seams and insulation dropping down in the shell I cant wear it much or depend on it. Their t-shirts where a weird fit and way to short(no one wants to see my belly), and the pants where crotch hugging skinny jeans. I would call FL the opposite of KUIU for quality and fit.

Since reading this thread and a few others like it, along with realizing I might have to "modern up" a little and replace worn wears; if I got fully outfitted (less boots) I'd have about $1450 into all new gear. And that's 3 pairs thermals, two different weights.

Hope this is a relevant question. Did most of you piece your outfits together or buy it all at once?
I am going to have to piece things together because I'm built like a wedge. I've tried on several things that just don't fit. Short torso and extra wide shoulders are hard to fit.