Sous vide venison backstrap with blueberry balsamic glaze and blue cheese butter...

I often cook pronghorn using the "red neck sous vide"-- don't have a vacuume packer so I use ziplock freezer bags, don't have a real sous vide cooker so I use a small red/white coleman cooler with a walmart remote thermometer to monitor the temp.

I sear on cast iron pan, slice, drizzle with basalmic reduction, top with glazed pecans and blue cheese crumbles.

I also pour a little dr. Pepper with a dash of salt and sometimes a dash of red and or black pepper in with the meet to marinate -- the high citric acid helps tenderize the meat and the high sugar content adds a little sweetness to the flavor-- i know it sounds gross but I swear it doesn't taste like dr pepper when done--- I also use dr pepper on meats before smoking to help tenderize and add a bit of sweetness -- learned it from a culinary school grad about 10 years ago. They told me that depending on people's tastes ypu can sub Pepsi, coke, or 7-up/sprite but the Dr pepper has the highest citric acid content of any soda and the acids help breakdown/tenderize the meat when used as a marinade

I often cook pronghorn using the "red neck sous vide"-- don't have a vacuume packer so I use ziplock freezer bags, don't have a real sous vide cooker so I use a small red/white coleman cooler with a walmart remote thermometer to monitor the temp.

I sear on cast iron pan, slice, drizzle with basalmic reduction, top with glazed pecans and blue cheese crumbles.

I also pour a little dr. Pepper with a dash of salt and sometimes a dash of red and or black pepper in with the meet to marinate -- the high citric acid helps tenderize the meat and the high sugar content adds a little sweetness to the flavor-- i know it sounds gross but I swear it doesn't taste like dr pepper when done--- I also use dr pepper on meats before smoking to help tenderize and add a bit of sweetness -- learned it from a culinary school grad about 10 years ago. They told me that depending on people's tastes ypu can sub Pepsi, coke, or 7-up/sprite but the Dr pepper has the highest citric acid content of any soda and the acids help breakdown/tenderize the meat when used as a marinade
Using Dr pepper, coke etc absolutely works. Breaks down the meat nicely.

I have no idea how you could overcook using sous vide. That is the whole purpose of it, to cook it perfectly every time. I put in fridge to cool before searing so center is cool just like a rare steak should be.

I have no idea how you could overcook using sous vide. That is the whole purpose of it, to cook it perfectly every time. I put in fridge to cool before searing so center is cool just like a rare steak should be.
Have you ever had seared tuna steaks? That is pretty much how I like my steaks except I char the outside of my steak. Sous vide brings up the temp of what you are cooking to the preset temp while trapping all of the moisture and seasoning in them most people sear the outside.

I understand, it still over cooks my steaks. I put my steaks on the grill with a few pats of butter to help it char the steak slightly, flip it over add butter get some char. Then remove. They may be on the grill for 3-4 mins at most. If I didn't like the char my steaks would be considered greyed. I do think sous vide has its place for my other meats.
If you are going to finish your steak with a sear, you need to account for it; set your sous vide temp at least 5 degrees below your desired doneness. 3-4 minutes for a sear on the grill is too long for me. I cooked a tomahawk steak for under 3 minutes (without prior sous vide cooking).

tomahawk-steak-1-of-3-jpg.364418

tomahawk-steak-2-of-3-jpg.364419

tomahawk-steak-3-of-3-jpg.364420

Cheers!

If you are going to finish your steak with a sear, you need to account for it; set your sous vide temp at least 5 degrees below your desired doneness. 3-4 minutes for a sear on the grill is too long for me. I cooked a tomahawk steak for under 3 minutes (without prior sous vide cooking).

tomahawk-steak-1-of-3-jpg.364418

tomahawk-steak-2-of-3-jpg.364419

tomahawk-steak-3-of-3-jpg.364420

Cheers!
I agree, that is why the sous vide method doesn't work for me on my steaks.

It works for me; sous vide at the right temp (below the desired doneness) and accounts for the searing method, just like the link I provided in #18. The point is, it can be done if you account for the temps in each part of the process. If you do not like doing it, not your preference, that's another story. Cheers!

It works for me; sous vide at the right temp (below the desired doneness) and accounts for the searing method, just like the link I provided in #18. The point is, it can be done if you account for the temps in each part of the process. If you do not like doing it, not your preference, that's another story. Cheers!
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it at all, I do believe it works great for a lot of people. And I find that I works great for other meats. Even you tomahawk was cooked more than how I like them, mine is more like steak carpaccio with a char. That is just me. The pic I put up of the porterhouse and the bone. It was cooked with the bone on the grates of the grill so the heat could cook from the bone outwards. My brother-in-law claimed it would be perfect, my sister even laughed and told him it was over cooked. But he bought the steak, so I figured why not . I eat my pork medium and duck at medium rare and sous vide is perfect at least for the pork I'm not sure if I could get the fat rendered on the duck. To alot of people that isn't cooked enough for either one of those.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it at all, I do believe it works great for a lot of people. And I find that I works great for other meats. Even you tomahawk was cooked more than how I like them, mine is more like steak carpaccio with a char. That is just me. The pic I put up of the porterhouse and the bone. It was cooked with the bone on the grates of the grill so the heat could cook from the bone outwards. My brother-in-law claimed it would be perfect, my sister even laughed and told him it was over cooked. But he bought the steak, so I figured why not . I eat my pork medium and duck at medium rare and sous vide is perfect at least for the pork I'm not sure if I could get the fat rendered on the duck. To alot of people that isn't cooked enough for either one of those.
Carpaccio is raw meat and thus requires no cooking. Yes, I grew up eating raw dishes too. My parents were in the meat market business for 4 decades.

Carpaccio is raw meat and thus requires no cooking. Yes, I grew up eating raw dishes too. My parents were in the meat market business for 4 decades.
Correct, I just like having my seasoning cooked and a little char. I wish we still had meat markets around here. We have groceries that will cut some steaks the way you want them. They don't bring in sides of beef and do custom cuts, I have to order some of the specific cuts that I can't get in my local grocery store. I miss the ol days

I see what you are saying about eating it raw. When I butcher a deer I always save a chunk of the loin which I slice thin and enjoy raw with a couple beers after everything is processed and cleaned up. I do the same thing when cleaning most types of fish. I also freeze small cuts of loin and salmon that I use for tartare.

The one thing that sous vide does is make the meat much more tender than just searing alone. I love it for venison football roast. Salt roast, sear, apply a generous amount of seasoning, sous vide at 130 for 24 hours let sit in fridge for another day or two, slice thin for the best roast venison sandwich imaginable.

I see what you are saying about eating it raw. When I butcher a deer I always save a chunk of the loin which I slice thin and enjoy raw with a couple beers after everything is processed and cleaned up. I do the same thing when cleaning most types of fish. I also freeze small cuts of loin and salmon that I use for tartare.

The one thing that sous vide does is make the meat much more tender than just searing alone. I love it for venison football roast. Salt roast, sear, apply a generous amount of seasoning, sous vide at 130 for 24 hours let sit in fridge for another day or two, slice thin for the best roast venison sandwich imaginable.
**** it that is making me hungry. I least it is close enough for me to start thinking about lunch. We usually put the deer roast in the crockpot and eat it like pot roast. The only way I eat salmon is raw, that is one of those fish for me that if it is cooked I don't like it. I want to like it and will try it every once in a while, but still don't like it

Recent Posts