Sous vide venison backstrap with blueberry balsamic glaze and blue cheese butter...

It is not for everybody. You can still cook on sous vide and then finish it on however method you want.
I can see merits to the process. I just haven't had anything cooked that way that just wowed me. And I've eaten at some very nice places that are supposed to be good at it.

I just prefer the taste of wood fired cooking. And I get pretty decent results.

Attachments

• IMG_4484.jpeg
    IMG_4484.jpeg
    826.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1759.jpeg
    IMG_1759.jpeg
    913.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1757.jpeg
    IMG_1757.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1756.jpeg
    IMG_1756.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1915.jpeg
    IMG_1915.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2160.jpeg
    IMG_2160.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2159.jpeg
    IMG_2159.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4434.jpeg
    IMG_4434.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 53
I can see merits to the process. I just haven't had anything cooked that way that just wowed me. And I've eaten at some very nice places that are supposed to be good at it.

Mike I'm with you, I eat my steaks very rare and want some char on them. With the sous vide method they tend to be over cooked. And like you I want the wood flavor. I see its place but just not for my red meat.

Attachments

• PXL_20230219_225144379.jpg
    PXL_20230219_225144379.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20230219_221831048.jpg
    PXL_20230219_221831048.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 59

Sous vide cooking is one of many methods people can use to elevate their cooking experience.

You have complete control of the temperature setting and how you want to finish it, i.e., https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/first-sous-vide-meal.234542/
I understand, it still over cooks my steaks. I put my steaks on the grill with a few pats of butter to help it char the steak slightly, flip it over add butter get some char. Then remove. They may be on the grill for 3-4 mins at most. If I didn't like the char my steaks would be considered greyed. I do think sous vide has its place for my other meats.

Can't buy a meal like that!
Wow

I love marinating using a robust extra virgin olive oil, then grill at high heat under mesquite wood coals. Nice sear on the outside and rare on the inside.

Haven't tried sous vide, but it looks really good. Just make sure you post pictures next time LOL.

I understand, it still over cooks my steaks. I put my steaks on the grill with a few pats of butter to help it char the steak slightly, flip it over add butter get some char. Then remove. They may be on the grill for 3-4 mins at most. If I didn't like the char my steaks would be considered greyed. I do think sous vide has its place for my other meats.
I've done surf and turf like that…using both—grilled up my steaks traditional way while the lobster tails got the sous vide treatment so all was ready when I wanted to serve it. Scallops and shrimp are good to to do that way, and can sear at the end while the grill is still going to crisp up the outside just a bit.

Attachments

• 87D81D8C-551B-404E-AC2C-7F1DB5153E62.jpeg
    87D81D8C-551B-404E-AC2C-7F1DB5153E62.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
I've done surf and turf like that…using both—grilled up my steaks traditional way while the lobster tails got the sous vide treatment so all was ready when I wanted to serve it. Scallops and shrimp are good to to do that way, and can sear at the end while the grill is still going to crisp up the outside just a bit.
Yes sous vide works great for seafood. It will keep it nice a moist and concentrate the flavors. Take those tails, put them in the bag with some butter and seasonings put them in the sous vide. You have butter poached lobster that should be nice and tender. Boy I wish I could still eat that stuff.

Mike I'm with you, I eat my steaks very rare and want some char on them. With the sous vide method they tend to be over cooked. And like you I want the wood flavor. I see its place but just not for my red meat.
You should probably kill that before you eat it.

Its no problem at all. Been a member here for a while, but have never posted much, so I count this as learning. Promise there was no offense taken.
I've made a steak butter very similar to yours, I had everything you did with the addition of chopped walnuts and finely chopped rosemary. I'll be adding in some things to my blueberry sauce

Recent Posts