Smallest caliber for Montana Mule Deer Rifle

I like this "But if a customer came to me asking me my recommendation to this exact question. I would likely say at least a 6.5mm round with the ability to drive a minimum of 140 gr bullet weight to at least 3000 fps. That would be my absolute minimum. So something such as the 6.5-06 AI, 6.5 wsm class and up.

Ideal minimum would be a 270 or 7mm with at least 150-160 gr bullet weight and ability to drive those to around 3000 fps or more. 270 wsm, 7mm wsm, 7mm rem mag."

I am not as experienced as many on this forum but the response above meeting with my thoughts and experience.

I realize that "competition" is not "hunting" but it is noteworthy that PRS shooters are experimenting with heavy for caliber 25s (130+) and 6.5s (150+) to get "stronger" impacts or "splashes" versus the 6mms (105 to 115) to better "see" and make corrections plus the higher BC fights wind better. I spend a lot of time watching impacts (and misses) from 400 to 1400 yards and there is a huge difference between high BC 22s, 6mm, 6.5s, and now 25s.

A high mountain muley hunter I run into sometimes in the mountains, he runs a 300RUM and regular shoot giant bucks at 600.Heres a day where my buddy asked me to go with him, but we went to different spots that day.Then we had to meet back at mahogany ridge to discuss or hunts.These fell to 325wsm and 300win
IMG_0719.JPG

We've killed a lot of mule deer with a 22-250 out to 600ish even with lighter class bullets. If I built another deer specific rifle I'd be tempted to try the 22 Creed set up around the 80+ gr bullets. I think an ultra lite set up for high country mulies and spring bear it would be sweet!
A 6mm anything, also sweet, 25 cal great after that then I set up for elk and carefully take deer with it.

Curious so I pulled up Hornady 4DOF app. Chose factory Hornady 22-250 with 60 grain SP and it says energy at 600 yards is 336 ftlbs.

I run a 7” twist 22-250AI in a 32” barrel, this is simply the reason above why I do not use it on deer…been there and tracking tiny little blood drops on your hands and knees is no fun pushing through our black berry tunnels here.
Just my 2c.

Cheers.

Personnaly I've been using the 22/250 and Swift with 55's-63's cup n cores for 45 years in Montana.
Wasn’t that illegal in MT 10-15 yrs ago? I thought big game required >22 cal Centerfire…..but that has been eliminated.
I am a curious fella so need to ask, how many deer have you shot @ 600 to date and how many rounds a year do you practice with @ 600 yds?
0. I was prepared and shooting a lot at 300yds and several sessions out to 700yds. I was pretty confident to 700 off my tripod. That said, I’ve not shot over 300yds for a couple years because I’ve been shooting my Contender more. I have shot deer to 380….and an Antelope at 400 yds. The problem really wasn’t my shooting ability so much as my hunting spot. Often I see deer 25-300 yds…..or they are like 900 yds away. For example,I was setting up on a buck at 700. Then another hunter drove up a road the buck could see. It ran at me until it got to 300. I was not going to pass because it came 400yds closer & stopped.

I do know how to shoot a ways. I also know enough to know I need more practice. So, it will take me a while to even get back to 400yds with confidence. I’ll practice. I really just don’t want to get something that shoots like a 350 legend because that is where I’m at mentally and physically today!

That said, I’m thinking about a light gun after playing with my dad’s 6.5 Creedmoor. I’m pondering something like 6 Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, 270 win fast twist, 6mmAI…..just trying to get a feel if I’m nuts considering a 6.

I’m currently

Curious so I pulled up Hornady 4DOF app. Chose factory Hornady 22-250 with 60 grain SP and it says energy at 600 yards is 336 ftlbs.

With all due respect the last time I paid any attention whatsoever to "Energy" figures was about 1973 when I was in 9th grade...back when I would pour over the Remington cataglog each year and commit to memory the drop charts, energy numbers and the relative brightness levels of scopes.

What I do care about is placement and a bullet that will get into the chest cavity with enough velocity for it to open up and tear up the lungs etc. That happens and it's game over and with the 60 Horn HP out of my standard 22/250 it has plenty of gas to do this. At 600 yds the speed is 1513 fps give or take a few feet.

I've torn up plenty of chucks etc at long range with this bullet to know that small big game like deer and lopes aren't long for this world when they take a hit. I know a chuck isn't a deer but in my experience if the bullet will tear up a chuck at long range then it is more than plenty for the job of taking out a deer/lope.

Long and the short we all have our choices, we all have our experiences to go off of. We only have ourselves to make happy:)

Interesting thing about these forums is that all we can do is read what others have to say, for the most part we'll never come face to face with the participants of the forum. But if we're good people watchers it's not all that tough to sort out who's been there and done that and who's not.

LMAO.......Okay. However, I don't use to many tree stands here in the West. 😁

Should I "resurrect" all those dead game animals I should not have killed with 22's, 6mm's and 25's? And what about a couple of friends who have been killing "elk" for decades with 243's??
You sure as hell shouldn’t be taking 600 yard shots at a MULE deer with 22 anything. Even suggesting that for mule deer hunting is crazy. Admitting you’ve killed deer with one is one thing but actually suggesting it to someone is foolish. Don’t encourage most wounded deer. 6mm is a stretch and a right 25 cal set up I will give you that one. But for hells sake leave your 22-250 at home when it comes to our mule deer.