Smallest caliber for Montana Mule Deer Rifle

but to 600 yards? I’ve used 22-250 on muleys extensively, but 300 yards is about where they started to run further than I was comfortable with.
Please show me where my recommendation was. I never recommended a caliber or chambering. I noted the minimum requirement on the hunting reg.

1719308844094.png

My go-to chambering is a .300 WM for antelope —to elk-sized game to 1000Y.

Last edited:
My general rule is the smaller the caliber the higher the minimum impact velocity.

Eventually with increasing distance, it becomes less practical to meet the min impact vel I am comfortable with in smaller calibers in game larger than WT. 6mm would be my minimum @ 600 yd for mule and would want a prc/sst over bore case and 105-115 bullets. I would be much more comfortable with a 6.5/7 PRC SAUM RM WSM. Given the choice I would always pick a 6.5 minimum.

Last edited:
I make my decision based on having less than ideal shots. I fully understand 22,24, and 25’s kill lots of deer. When deer hunting especially highly coveted areas I would be taking the round that would cover any scenario I thought I’d see the buck of a lifetime. I would want the largest round I could shoot well. A fast 7mm or 30 caliber with proper bullet would cover that. If I were in bear country I would change that to 30 and 33 caliber.

Nice to see another Sierra 63gr shooter/hunter

While I still load them for my 1/14"tw 222's and 1/12"tw 223's
Not to derail but the 63 grain sierra’s are working ok with the slow 1:14 and 1:12 twist? I didn’t want to waste my time trying anything this heavy from my 1:12 223. Thanks

Recent Posts