Should you talk with the Police?

These so-called police deal with some of the worst scum in the world and they don't know how to turn off aggression towards a simple law-abiding citizen. They are meaner than the criminals. But I guess after years of dealing with scum you get a permanent attitude.
BUT there are BAD apples in the bunch.
I completely agree with that last part. Unfortunately, there are those in this profession that shouldn’t be.
However, ANY police officer, deputy sheriff, etc that develops a negative, “one track”, permanent attitude about all people in general has a screw loose and shouldn’t be in this profession. We HAVE TO know our audiences (and recognize the differences) and be able to treat them with the respect EVERYONE deserves……until it’s time NOT to.

Another Cadillac story. I was driving our 1960 Cadillac, convertible and top down. I got lost in a "transitional neighborhood." A cop started following me, closely. Every turn he followed me. Finally I got to a main road and pulled into a restaurant parking area. He followed me in, pulled next to me and I asked why?

His response, "You were in a bad neighborhood and car-jackings were too often. I though it best to shadow you until you got in a better neighborhood. Be careful, Sir.

Not a picture with him, but this was the car.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 21
So here is my thing about police officers you guys have a very hard job and I don't envy you guys at all. That being said you guys are upholding laws I think you guys should have way more training and knowledge in the laws for both sides of the law. And I also think the qualified immunity should be thrown out I think you guys as officers should be held to a higher standard than the average public. I you don't know both sides of the law well enough and a lawsuit comes and you should have to pay just as much as the municipality you're working for

Let me ask a question, with some reservations. But how many of us has been hassled by police when we were respectful?

I would bet that the huge majority, here, has just heard stories, read something in the media, etc.

I am pushing 81 and have never been hassled, or ill-treated by police. Even when I broke the Law.

A 77-year-old woman confronted 3 person home invaders. She shot and killed one of the perps. She then held one of the three at gunpoint 'til the police arrived. She refused to make a statement to the police.

The police only had, "Person A (Homeowner) shot an killed another person B." The police, understandably, arrested the killer, Person A, homeowner. Without bail. Until the story unraveled that the dead person was part of a home invader.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/77-year-old-homeowner-arrested-after-shooting-burglary-suspect/

What are we supposed to do in a situation like this? We would, probably, full of Adrenalin and might say stupid statements.

Waidmannsheil!
Unfortunately for her she probably didn’t own a backhoe or dozer. Are could have saved the taxpayers thousands and thousands of dollars!

Another Cadillac story. I was driving our 1960 Cadillac, convertible and top down. I got lost in a "transitional neighborhood." A cop started following me, closely. Every turn he followed me. Finally I got to a main road and pulled into a restaurant parking area. He followed me in, pulled next to me and I asked why?

His response, "You were in a bad neighborhood and car-jackings were too often. I though it best to shadow you until you got in a better neighborhood. Be careful, Sir.

Not a picture with him, but this was the car.
Looks like a Lockheed draftsman, sent one his friends at GM, some leftover SR-71 drawings to work with, cool rig there!

In my 64 years on this earth I have only have encountered a couple of instances where a LEO was on a power trip and acting like an AH. I was taught as a child to show respect to the police. They are in a very stressful job and never know when they are going to encounter a life threatening situation. I was told many decades ago by a LEO that home invasions are absolutely a time to deal with the threat with deadly force. Dispatch the assailants within the home when possible. If they are fleeing the house, stop shooting once they have left the house. My view is if the intruders are in my home, there is a slim chance they are going make it out alive.

In my 64 years on this earth I have only have encountered a couple of instances where a LEO was on a power trip and acting like an AH. I was taught as a child to show respect to the police. They are in a very stressful job and never know when they are going to encounter a life threatening situation. I was told many decades ago by a LEO that home invasions are absolutely a time to deal with the threat with deadly force. Dispatch the assailants within the home when possible. If they are fleeing the house, stop shooting once they have left the house. My view is if the intruders are in my home, there is a slim chance they are going make it out alive.
Funny you should say this. When I was 10 years old we had some issues with home invasion in our neighborhood. The police were doing door to door to talk with residents to let them know what was going on and who to contact if we saw anything etc. My dad asked what to do if he encountered someone in our home. The Police Officer told him shoot to kill and make sure he doesn't get outside. If he does drag him back inside before you call the police.

I’ve been told something similar by a long since retired RCMP officer and firearms trainer/weapons tester. I forget what all he did back in the day but he has forgotten more about guns than I am likely to ever know haha, did all kinds of work with them back in the day testing sniper rifles in particular and testing what projectiles were best at defeating vehicle glass and other such barriers while continuing in a straight line - based on what he himself saw and did he’s an undying fan of the trophy bonded bear claw for serious work, bc be damned -

Anyways, he tells me now he sleeps with a wood stocked ruger 10/22 beside his bed and that’s a deliberate choice because you’re not supposed to have guns unlocked in the house at all but if, god forbid, he had to use it, it looks a heck of a lot better than a tactical shotgun or a black rifle to say nothing of a handgun. Just happened to have my squirrel gun on hand when I needed it…..lucky I guess 😉. He also tells me “the only people who don’t take a reliable semi auto .22LR seriously as a defence gun are those who haven’t faced one”

But his final piece of advice from all he’s seen both at crime scenes and in courts of law, is “make sure you save one round and shoot that into the floor or the ceiling AFTER it’s all over…so the evidence agrees with you when you say you fired a warning shot”.

Of course his first line of defence is a pair of very well trained German shepherds, the old guy with the ruger might be the least of your problems if you’re stupid enough to break in….

Hmm well imo firing a "warning shot" is a no go. I am either in fear of great bodily harm or death, or I am not. One could argue that firing a "warning shot" could mean you weren't sure that you were in great danger.
Fair enough, just relaying what the seasoned old lawman said haha…bearing in mind this is also potentially in the situation where the invaders may not have firearms but other weapons nonetheless, and there’s more than one of them. Regardless of how stupid this is, our laws up here in Canada are that you’re only supposed to use deadly force when “justified” (I do beleive the states are a lot more empowering of the homeowner however I’ve heard no shortage of horror stories coming out of American media as well in which a law abiding citizen defended themselves and faced prosecution for it, I’m not looking to the south through rose coloured lenses that’s for sure). He is an old man who lives alone, and even under those conditions and with multiple assailants, if he had a gun and they didn’t he’s definitely the one facing judgement…if he can claim to have fired a warning shot but they kept coming, the whole thing is a little more “justified”.

There’s no shortage of such break ins even in our small town here unfortunately.