Should you talk with the Police?

As usual you have to read between the lines to get the whole story. The suspects were fleeing and scaling a fence when the one was shot. Technically once someone is fleeing and no longer a threat you you cant shoot them. Even in our very pro gun state I have seen people prosecuted shooting fleeing suspects. That may have accounted for the police’s initial actions. Still. Ask for an attorney. Don’t make any statements without legal counsel. They can’t hold you indefinitely without charging you.

No, I know you weren’t….and my quote/post wasn’t directed towards you. I can’t speak intelligently about California laws, but I CAN tell you that NOTHING would’ve happened to you in “my” jurisdiction simply for brandishing a weapon in the defense of yourself, your family or your property.
Most LEOs are like you that I know. And the ones that appear to be not so friendly more than likely have a reason not to be. Just turn on the tube and see how they are treated like in some of these protest/riots…not to mention the attacks on them. So, thank you to all first responders for protecting us.

However, I do believe in keeping my mouth shut and speaking to an attorney when things seem to be serious. This keeps the on coming discussions from getting incriminating and doubtful.

Thanks for painting “us” as adversaries. I think you (and anyone else who feels this way) are failing to recognize the different rolls and responsibilities within the legal system.
The police role is to enforce the law, investigate crimes and gather evidence. Our loyalty is to the Law and public safety and that cannot be influenced by the individual interests of those we interact with during investigations. If you want/need a “friend/advocate” in situations such as that listed here then ABSOLUTELY invoke your right to remain silent and obtain a competent lawyer to help guide you through interactions with the police and navigate you through our ridiculous legal system.
I've always been pro law enforcement since I trained them in So Cal after leaving the Army. Most of the deputies and officers I knew where pro US Constitution and were there to serve the general public. The problem lies with DA's and politicians. My position still stands as to wait for your lawyer. But in no way was I criticizing LEO's. I considered being one in So Cal but decided I'd just get myself in trouble. It's a sad state down there, been that way for over twenty years.

No, I know you weren’t….and my quote/post wasn’t directed towards you. I can’t speak intelligently about California laws, but I CAN tell you that NOTHING would’ve happened to you in “my” jurisdiction simply for brandishing a weapon in the defense of yourself, your family or your property.
It's bad down there brother. A few years back the DA in LA brought a deputy up on manslaughter or murder charges. If I remember correctly the deputy was on the hood of a car after the driver tried to run him over. The deputy shot the perp through the windshield to get him to stop.

California law and intelligently is an oxymoron. I lived in Oakland in the early 1980s. I left in 1989 and never looked back.

California law and intelligently is an oxymoron. I lived in Oakland in the early 1980s. I left in 1989 and never looked back.
I left in 1987 to join the Army. Came back since family was there after being honorably discharged. Left again in 2004 and never looked back. LA's DA Gascon is a piece of work. Extreme far left and loves to go after LEO's. He's a peach.

@Deputy819, Personally I have great respect for our LEOs. You risk personal danger to keep the wolves from us. Here is a "Sheep" comforting a dog that saved them from wolves.

Attachments

• 153188449_1128654900983483_297679923150483830_n.jpg
    153188449_1128654900983483_297679923150483830_n.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 48
Thanks for painting “us” as adversaries. I think you (and anyone else who feels this way) are failing to recognize the different rolls and responsibilities within the legal system.
The police role is to enforce the law, investigate crimes and gather evidence. Our loyalty is to the Law and public safety and that cannot be influenced by the individual interests of those we interact with during investigations. If you want/need a “friend/advocate” in situations such as that listed here then ABSOLUTELY invoke your right to remain silent and obtain a competent lawyer to help guide you through interactions with the police and navigate you through our ridiculous legal system.
If only this was the case. We see all to often cops becoming judge, jury and executioner road side. Are all cops corrupt and on power trips? No, but if they allow the bad ones to keep violating peoples rights and not step in, they are just as guilty. With that said, we also see numerous times of when the cop should just shoot the criminal and save taxpayers money. If I commit a crime, then I have it coming. If I am a victim of a power trip on the side of the road, I have a problem with that. And all the, "fight it in court" bs is just that bs. The entire system is stacked against you and you will never recoup you money spent defending yourself for a crime you never committed. Now if we would end qualified immunity....I bet the cops would stop being tyrants and actually enfocing the law.

Well in the article the homeowner shot the suspect as they attempted to scale a fence, which I assumed was to flee. The firearm used in was recently stolen. So while if the homeowner used a firearm in self defense, you cannot use the "in fear of my life" if the suspect was attempting to leave. Or at least it would be hard to defend that stance in a court of law. And if the firearm was stolen then that adds to a sticky situation lol.

In the major cities for sure and to a large extent nationwide there has been a widespread militarization of the police in this country. Where I live the neighboring PD has a few no sh__ BRADLEY armored vehicles among other armored vehicles. They wear all black, face masks, the full kit of a soldier plus when they roll them too, look like the thugs of a tin pot dictator. There are way too many among them that refer to CITIZENS as civilians, and they very much view the public as us vs them. THESE are the people that have changed the view of so many when it comes to law enforcement and it is sad. Not to mention the Feds overstepping at seemingly every opportunity. I grew up in an LE family, I have LE friends. It troubles me deeply that you can't or shouldn't openly interact with LE because you don't know what type of officer you are dealing with. Nearby there is a Soros DA putting filth on the street daily, I do see the reason some LE have lost faith in the system and probably in humanity itself. I don't see it getting any better anytime in my lifetime either, quite the opposite.