Should you talk with the Police?

Thanks for painting “us” as adversaries. I think you (and anyone else who feels this way) are failing to recognize the different rolls and responsibilities within the legal system.
The police role is to enforce the law, investigate crimes and gather evidence. Our loyalty is to the Law and public safety and that cannot be influenced by the individual interests of those we interact with during investigations. If you want/need a “friend/advocate” in situations such as that listed here then ABSOLUTELY invoke your right to remain silent and obtain a competent lawyer to help guide you through interactions with the police and navigate you through our ridiculous legal system.
I don’t think anyone here feels that way.
But even if you are involved in a shooting most likely they are going to tell to not say anything until you have representation.
It’s just the way it is I think.
By the way I have respect for anyone wearing the badge.

Shooting an intruder in your house is a lot different than shooting someone trying to rob or mug you in a Walmart parking lot or gas station. Cops are not the worry, prosecutors who will twist anything and everything you say is my concern, they treat cops the same way when they are involved in a shooting. God help you if you get some crazy *** left-wing judge.

In Ca. an attorney to represent you at the corners inquest will cost you $10,000 at a bare minimum.

So, do everything humanly possible to avoid shooting, including running like a scared rabbit if at all possible to avoid tremendous drama and expense.

You have the right to remain silent.
Anything said can and will be used against you in a court of law.
I treat LEO with respect but I did have a bad experience with one. Apparently he had some anger issues because after I was involved in a light collision and hit by the airbag he decided to take liberties slamming me on the patrol car because he thought I was drinking. Supposedly he was reprimanded for this and other similar instances.

Watch this expert witness discuss this subject

And these attorneys:

You need to know your state and local laws, the technical aspects of the Castle Doctrine in your state, and stand-your-ground laws, etc.

With many countries emptying their jails of the worst criminals and sending them across our border, we now have a new reality. Chances are you may have to protect another citizen, know your laws concerning this aspect of a self-defense shooting also.

USAA has great FREE on line training:

Active Self Protection has a "play by play" feedback on do's and don't in actual self defense shootings:

Thanks for painting “us” as adversaries. I think you (and anyone else who feels this way) are failing to recognize the different rolls and responsibilities within the legal system.
The police role is to enforce the law, investigate crimes and gather evidence. Our loyalty is to the Law and public safety and that cannot be influenced by the individual interests of those we interact with during investigations. If you want/need a “friend/advocate” in situations such as that listed here then ABSOLUTELY invoke your right to remain silent and obtain a competent lawyer to help guide you through interactions with the police and navigate you through our ridiculous legal system.
Thanks for posting this. I have had nothing but positive interactions with police officers. One could have completely changed my life, but he realized I was a wise-*** kid. I am fishing in Mexico or would provide more details.

Hmm well imo firing a "warning shot" is a no go. I am either in fear of great bodily harm or death, or I am not. One could argue that firing a "warning shot" could mean you weren't sure that you were in great danger.
Never fire a warning shot. You can be arrested for discharging a firearm. PLUS if then you do happen to shoot a person attaching you it could be said they were i fear of their lives from YOU!

Fair enough. Perhaps the old guy is full of it haha, I’ll take his ideas with a grain of salt
I won't say that. He might be from a different era or just trained differently. I attended a class with some officers from Canada, I can't remember the department. They were good guys and like minded.

The police only had, "Person A (Homeowner) shot a killed another person B." The police, understandably, arrested the killer, Person A, homeowner. Without bail. Until the story unraveled that the dead person was part of a home invader.
That’s ok. You should expect to be arrested. The homeowner did shoot someone.
My dad being a gun instructor will tell you to never say a word to the police in a shooting .
One wrong thing and you can go from justified to a murder .
I think the issue here is that police are interested in public safety, preserving evidence and getting hot on case solving upon arrival. If you direct the police at you and provide evidence of your guilt in your initial statement, that is what will be worked on. Other details may not be preserved because they seemed irrelevant.

My name is ____________ and I will provide a full statement after consult with counsel. Then STHU. Repeat as needed. Never ever offer more.
That is not bad advice. Always be respectful.

I’m sorry sir, but the police quickly become adversaries in this situation because police are working on the murder they saw when they showed up right? The homeowner needs the police gathering the evidence of the homeowner’s murder which was preemptively stopped by a homeowner acting within the law. Do you have any tips on how to refocus the police to working on it as self defense? It seems to me, I need to get a lawyer to do that instead of puking out all kinds of evidence for the police to work with and my lawyer to try to roll back.

My class instructor in my concealed carry class was an active duty highway patrol officer. He told us taking a human life is pretty traumatic and you're rattled, no doubt. He stated that always say that you would be happy to make a statement in the presence of your attorney so that the police can get your official statement. That is a non issue as far as police investigators are concerned. It's your right.

Now if we would end qualified immunity....I bet the cops would stop being tyrants and actually enfocing the law.
I have to disagree with this.
With the tremendous difficulty most places have in finding quality applicants, how would it be if they DIDN'T have qualified immunity?
Let's face it- these folks intentionally put their lives on the line for us all EVERY SINGLE DAY, yet if one time they make a mistake and into lockup they go?
Look at the gal in Minnesota who had an impeccable 20+ year record, but ONE TIME she makes a mistake and right to prison she goes?
If I was a cop in Minnesota when she was found guilty, I would've handed in my badge and went somewhere that appreciates the dangers they face and the sacrifices they make.

Without qualified immunity you'd have to be brain dead to sign up.

1. It is my belief you should not offer one iota more information to the police than you have to in this situation. Let a lawyer handle ALL the talking. That's why they get paid the big bucks. An untrained person could say the wrong thing, and cause a lot more grief in the long run.
Same thing with a traffic ticket. Especially if you had been enjoying some lemonades.
2. I can't believe any cop would tell someone to drag a body back in the house. That is just f'n stupid. Any detective worth a plug nickle could tell the bady had been dragged back in the house. Then you are looking at additional charges for tampering with evidence. Plus, a prosecutor would probably use that as proof of guilt in the shooting part.