Scope recommendation??????

simply more magnification to hit smaller targets
or the middle of a score target.
i shoot with a group that does GROUP and SCORE at 2000.
yes size matters

Not speaking for your group, but most I know who are shooting 1760+ are shooing a standard 36"x36". The goal isnt usually smaller and smaller, its farther and farther. Also, @osoh provided a helpful chart with what Ko2M competitors were using. No, the OP didnt state he wanted to shoot 2 miles, but I would think that if a piece of gear is good enough for competitors at 2 miles it should be good enough for him at a closer range.

There are a lot of members on here with a ton of knowledge. Rude answers or smart comments make smart people not want to comment and keep their knowledge to themselves. I'm confident the osoh is one of the more experienced when it comes to ELR.

OP, I am a Vortex fan, so thats my vote.

Not speaking for your group, but most I know who are shooting 1760+ are shooing a standard 36"x36". The goal isnt usually smaller and smaller, its farther and farther. Also, @osoh provided a helpful chart with what Ko2M competitors were using. No, the OP didnt state he wanted to shoot 2 miles, but I would think that if a piece of gear is good enough for competitors at 2 miles it should be good enough for him at a closer range.

There are a lot of members on here with a ton of knowledge. Rude answers or smart comments make smart people not want to comment and keep their knowledge to themselves. I'm confident the osoh is one of the more experienced when it comes to ELR.

I thought the chart was good data.

did you read the part where i said "GROUP AND SCORE"
on a TARGET, not a sheet of steel( x ring 10 ring, 9 ring etc)
rude
you are making assumptions.
if you buy eguipment for 3520 yards and you only think you may go to 2500 yards you are over spending on the wrong tool.
why build a two mile tool for a 2500 yard job.
maybe you have unlimited funds, most of us do not.

Nod speaking for your group, but most I know who are shooting 1760+ are shooing a standard 36"x36". The goal isnt usually smaller and smaller, its farther and farther. Also, @osoh provided a helpful chart with what Ko2M competitors were using. No, the OP didnt state he wanted to shoot 2 miles, but I would think that if a piece of gear is good enough for competitors at 2 miles it should be good enough for him at a closer range.

did you read the part where i said "GROUP AND SCORE"
on a TARGET, not a sheet of steel( x ring 10 ring, 9 ring etc)
rude
you are making assumptions.
if you buy eguipment for 3520 yards and you only think you may go to 2500 yards you are over spending on the wrong tool.
why build a two mile tool for a 2500 yard job.
maybe you have unlimited funds, most of us do not.

Yes, I saw where YOU said YOU group and score, not the OP. He made no mention of that. The equipment I buy I buy to work. I look at that list and see a lot of products that are being used for Ko2M that can be used at 1760+. I have a Gen 2 Razor. I see several Ko2M competitors who use Vortex. That doesnt make the Razor a 2 mile only scope.

Pop

Give a shout when you get the Night Force up and running on the new ELR rifle. Either way you should have a good setup in time. Nowadays folks get all ramped up on the small stuff and miss the big picture, theres a lot of good equipment these days for folks to utilize due to the industry being pushed to excel farther then what folks said couldn't be done. Remember the good old days here when folks all chattered about new ideas and better rounds - Black Diamond 408, Fiftydriver, Russo, Augustas and others.

Cheers
osoh
JH

A good recommendation would be the Leupold Mark 5 in 5-25X56. I considered this exact scope in my recent research for 6 rifles I recently re-opticed. (is that a word?)

The price point fits, you get Leupold's best glass, updated turret functionality, and a lifetime warranty. You can find them for 1899 on sale here and there.
If I had <2000 to spend, it would be the Mark 5.

I am in the middle of building an ELR rifle. It will be used past 1500 yards and possibly up to 2500 yards

Anyway, I need a good scope. I currently own a NIB Burris XTR II 4x20x50mm scope. The scope looks good to me but.......

Will this do or do I definitely need an upgrade? If I do what do you recommend? Thanks
not that my opinion is worth a lot but after getting my 5.8x40x 56 ior crusaider i would recommend at least looking into it or the recon i looked through the vipers thought they were nice but wanted more also the night force they also left me wanting more and that s&b 5x45x56 34mm tube at 6400 dollars almost made me want to cry its just too much money but to get close to the mag range clarity at 1.2 the cost and even less for the recon i could not beat the deal i saw for the ior's, and as my plan the more i learn about shooting the more the scope i love. yes its expensive but i can grow into it rather than many other scopes growing out of it but it's going to take me from 308 to 6.5 to 300 wm maybe one day to 338 if i ever find a place to shoot such a round. I am a tad disappointed in the illuminated fine dot but nothing else so far.

I am in the middle of building an ELR rifle. It will be used past 1500 yards and possibly up to 2500 yards

Anyway, I need a good scope. I currently own a NIB Burris XTR II 4x20x50mm scope. The scope looks good to me but.......

Will this do or do I definitely need an upgrade? If I do what do you recommend? Thanks
I'd use a Nightforce NSX 5.5X22X56 zero stop and a 40 moa picatinney rail.

I would not recommend first focal plane. The extra lenses in an FFP scope diminish image quality in low light situations.
Don't tell that to S&B, Tangent Theta, Hensoldt, Minox, NF, ZCO......:rolleyes:

Besides that, I highly doubt he will be shooting at 1500-2500 at night. And ALL of the above listed scopes would keep you hunting to the very last second of any legal shooting light on a hunting rifle.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts